Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Terragear without mapserver?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Terragear without mapserver?

Postby Alant » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:12 am

Without mapserver, can terragear and terragear- gui function, and if so what is the recommended procedure?

I am thinking of adding a historical (i.e. defunct, no ICAO code etc ) airfield.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Re: Terragear without mapserver?

Postby psadro_gm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm

terragear - yes. You will need to do some work collecting shapefiles from other sources, however..
terragear-gui - probably (I have never used it). If there are any hardcoded links to mapserver, these obviously will not work, but if you can enter where your 'DATA' is located locally, then yes.
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby Gijs » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:11 pm

The GUI works fine without the mapserver. You just cannot use the "Download shapefiles" option, but you can manually place your data in the project directory/data folder. The rest (including elevation data download) should work as before.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Alant » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks for that advice. I did not want to start and then find that I was wasting my time.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

are the shape file all the same? when they are downloaded once, can they be used for all future scenery builds? without the mapserver, where could these shape files be downloaded from?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby psadro_gm » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 pm

not all shapefiles are the same. They come from different sources, are generated from rasters, user generated, etc...
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 am

yes, i know how old this topic is ;)

what i was really asking is this...

i have cs_airport, cs_dirt, cs_grassland, cs_lake, cs_rainforest, cs_sand, and cs_town for the FJDG area...
i also have cs_deciduousforest, cs_drycrop, cs_evergreenforest, cs_floodland, cs_intermittentlake, cs_irrcrop, cs_lake, cs_mixedcrop, cs_mixedforest, cs_scrub, cs_urban, and cs_void for the VCBI area...

my question, to be more specific than i was above, is "do these shape files only work with FJDG and VCBI or can they be used in other places that have these same land classes?

i think the answer is no... that comes from having spent a lot of hours, today, rereading a lot of the topics in this scenery section of the forum... i'm understanding a lot more, now, than i did back in 2016... i think the shape files i have were generated by martin's map server when i requested that chunk of area via terrageargui... they are only valid for that one chunk and no others...

am i understanding this, correctly?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Gijs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Most likely yes. Note that you can load shapefiles in software like QGIS (free, open source) to inspect them visually or even edit the shapes ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

yep! i have qgis but i've not tried to load anything other than the tutorials stuff... i learned, yesterday, while wading through 10 pages of topics in Scenery, that qgis and some other gis related programs can load them directly... like i said, i understand a lot more now then i did then... just loading qgis and starting a tutorial was a bit overwhelming with the new data flood ;)

what i had thought i could do was to copy all the cs_grassland stuff together but then i realized that each directory (eg: cs_grassland) had only four files in it... so copying them all together really only gave me the last one copied in... suddenly that light bulb got lit and then the realization hit that the shape files stuff wasn't going to be so easily recoverable...

i'm hoping to get a better handle on things and to possibly even load a scenery docker container and contribute some work back like that... i don't know if my small outbound pipe will be acceptable, though... we've only got 1.5Meg out on this connection... that's better than the 768k we used to have :lol: the 25Meg inbound is certainly much better than the 3Meg we had previously... i won't even mention our backup dial-up connection at 56k...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Scenery