Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery Project

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery Project

Postby daweed » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:02 pm

I went from texture with a resolution of 2048x1024 [day / night texture , that why my texture are in 2048 ] to a texture with a resolution of 512x256 in the following two cases

Fret Term Hight Resolution

Fret Term Low Resolution

Small doors are no longer identifiable as doors, metal cladding no longer resembles anything and i zoom in to see something

TGV Station hight resolution

TGV Station low resolution

Windows glass side structure are just ugly .... nice stair as like the roof sail
Wings metal cladding is no more identifiable and back roof texture is no more visible ...

That what he want i aim too.

Flightgear is improved every day by people of talent and I am asked here a pure and simple regression ... me I do not understand and I do not find it acceptable.

I can push this to TS, but that will not be in "harmony" with the already in place terminal which have hight resolution texture... we will have 2 different "perception" [ don't know how to set word on this idea ] and what will say visitor ... humm it's ugly
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 pm

@daweed I think what we're talking about is better packing of the textures.

To illustrate I've taken your TGV terminal and with about 45minutes repackaged parts of the texture and it is now 1024x1201 - and it wouldn't take a lot more effort to fit this into 1024x1024.

it comes out looking like this (the magenta areas are unused) - and I can't notice much difference in the model quality.

Let me know if you want the .ac, .png and .xcf
Richard

Version: Git

Postby daweed » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:54 pm

@Hello Richard,

Thanks for you help and your try.
Well, i understand what you have done here, but :

1°) this need, as you have done a total rework of the UVMapping , hudge work but i am open to do this process

2°) if you have read the thread ... 1024x1024 is too large for Vic ...

Here is the mail i receive from him when the model have been rejected : (same for frets teminal with 256x256)

For reference, the ID of this request was '23594' (model and object)

and it was named 'LFLL-TGV-STATION'.

The screener left a comment for you: 'Sorry, textures much too large

for scenery ojects. Try to limit to 256 or 512 for largeer ones.

Remember this will be an object in an airport where there will be many

oyher objects and fps needs to be portected. p.s. excellent model.'

For reference, the ID of this request was '23596' (model and object)

and it was named 'LFLL-FRET-TERM02'.

The screener left a comment for you: 'Textures too large. Reduce both

to 256 x 256 and they will be OK.'

3°) that a mistake from myself, but the night part is missing in my texture, so it will need to be 2048x1024. for the TGV station I give a try to half this afternoon (1024x512) but the result was the not really good. To really make something clean, it need i thing to remake the texture file totally with a new packing , i have spend so many time on this that i am clearly discouraged of having to resume everything and the fight and the Vic "no compromise" way did not really make me want to start again.

4°) In any case he is not ready to find a compromise , i doubt that it will be not a waste of time but i will try

So thank you very much for the help, i will try to do the job but i need to take a break to digest the little recognition of the work on his part. I am on hollidays at the end of the week, i will come back to the scenery from September

Thanks again for the working tracks

If you didn't modify the .ac, as i have source i will do with it, and will try to find my way with the texture file
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Previous

Return to Scenery