Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery Project

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery Project

Postby daweed » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello Evryone,

I started this project some month years ago :lol: .
With spent time, i am now aware that this project will take more time than use to think about.

2019/08/05 1.2 Release (TGV Station & Fret Terminal Added)
2016/04/21 1.1 Release (Terminal T1 & T2 Added)
2016/01/01 1st Release

Here some screenshots

----------------------------------------

05/08/2019
* Fret Terminal 1 & 2 added
* TGV Station added
* Jetway on Terminal T1 added
* TS end to support the scenery due to too large texturing file
* Switching to github as repo for Custom Scenery Package [ link at the bottom of this thread ]

21/04/2016
* T1 & T2 final version with night & day textures.

09/11/2015
* new terminal T2
Image Image

28/10/2015
* day / night textures : old 3d models migration finished
* procedure file creation

26/10/2015
* day / night texture creation
* update animation xml files ( objects groups )

25/10/2015
*1 st Terminal is Finished
* Light Apron around the Terminal
* Textures Day / Night (not finished, some have to be update)

01/01/2016
*Terminal 1 et 2 added

Scenery available on TS is not up to date and can't be anymore update

Download

Git Repo : LFLL Scenery

Daweed
Last edited by daweed on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Re: Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery Project

Postby simbambim » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:45 pm

Very nice.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:47 am

Nice tower and buildings. I follow your work at the french forum too. Maybe you can do the terminals and the TGV station structure too.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:53 am

Hello,

as u can see on the screenshot it's in progress.
I begun by what seems to me the most simple. - The Tower section, and all technical building.

I am actually working on Terminal 2 , Air France Hub section, that what u can see on the foreground on the last picture.

I aim to build all the airport, but that will take more time that i was thinking :)
FG Interface

daweed

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:09 am

That sounds good! If posible, upload it to TerraSync and if you need help or something, comment to this forum or the french. Good to see this beautiful airport in FlightGear. Salutations!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:22 am

Catalanoic wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:09 am:That sounds good! If posible, upload it to TerraSync and if you need help or something, comment to this forum or the french. Good to see this beautiful airport in FlightGear. Salutations!

TS is the Goal, but as lot of possibilities open in FG world, there is some gatekeeper, so even after upload my models on the scenery form website, i ll not able to tell if my model have been accepted, and even if they will be available for evryone.

I have stopped building construction to refactoring properly naming and position (bcause we can't have more than one building in one AC file) and that a pb as building can't be place with precision with the UFO.

Screen u see seems to be clean as all building avec the same "reference" coords, and have been place from that reference point with a bg img in blender.

But i have lot of difficulties to place building with UFO (precision pb)

For example , the tower, the building just behind and the one on left need to be close (For the gate keeper it should be 3 ac file made with lot's of mesh)
To be clean on the screen they need to be "attach" to each other

=> doing that is impossible with the UFO as placing object with UFO is can't done with precision
If i am doing in a way that all building refer to a single coord , it will be rejected by the gatekeeper of TS website model

i didn't find a way to set up with precision my building. (except the one i use whcih is placing objet in blender, then export to an ac file.)
=> i can make one file per building, but they need to have the same reference point to be place with precision and that will not be accept too by the TS Gatekeeper

So i am actually thinking how to distribute that correctly.
FG Interface

daweed

Postby www2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:44 am

I know there are some Open street map and geo tools for blender: https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-geo
www2

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:57 am

www2 wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:44 am:I know there are some Open street map and geo tools for blender: https://github.com/vvoovv/blender-geo

Thanks, i will have a look.

I can already set with precision in blender (bg img with good scale tell me where building are away from each other ...), that not the problem. Problem is placing with precision in FG

=> so placing building in blender (as it is actual case) work, but if i submit that , after reading "good practice" i know that TS gatekeeper will reject the model even if the model have no pb, just because that not the "good way to place it"

Best regards
FG Interface

daweed

Postby radi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am

I can think of a number of ways to do it.

Since you say you can model all of them properly as a single model, how about this:
1. You first place the all-in-one model in the scenery (via .stg)
2. Then you split the model into individual buildings, then use the ufo to place them individually on top of the all-in-one model.
3. if the ufo's precision is not sufficient, have a look at fgopt (see my sig).

Or:

1. Since you know the origin/anchor point of the all-in-one model (0,0,0 meters in Blender coords and lon/lat in FG's coords), and also the distance in meters from the all-in-one origin to the individual buildings' future anchor points, you can use the local flat earth approximation (use google) to work out the lon/lat coordinates for the individual buildings.

If neither of those are suitable for you, it'd probably quite easy for me to add an option to osm2city to do the following:
1. You download OSM building data for the area you want to model (in your case, the airport)
2. osm2city creates that area as individual .ac buildings (along with high precision .stg data)
3. You use the created .ac as templates for your detailed models. Well, since you've already created your models, you could load them on top of the template models in blender, and merely adjust their anchor points to match those of the templates.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am

radi wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am:2. Then you split the model into individual buildings, then use the ufo to place them individually on top of the all-in-one model.

I didn't think about this method, but that should be suitable, i will have a look :) thanks, it's seems an easy way for me to set up properly.

radi wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am:3. if the ufo's precision is not sufficient, have a look at fgopt (see my sig).

I wasn't aware that a placement tool exist, now i am i ll have a look too , very thks for that.

radi wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am:1. Since you know the origin/anchor point of the all-in-one model (0,0,0 meters in Blender coords and lon/lat in FG's coords), and also the distance in meters from the all-in-one origin to the individual buildings' future anchor points, you can use the local flat earth approximation (use google) to work out the lon/lat coordinates for the individual buildings.

I didn't understand that way ... could u post an example please ...

Best regards
FG Interface

daweed

Postby radi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:42 pm

daweed wrote in Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am:I didn't understand that way ... could u post an example please ...

I suggest you get a pen and paper and draw while you're reading.

Let the combined, all-in-one model be AB (say, terminals A and B). After you split it, you'll have individual models A and B, where B is 5 meters to the right of A.

The blender origin of AB is (0,0,0) meters, and let's assume that this origin happens to fall within building A (perhaps because you started modelling A first). If you place AB into the scenery, you'll know the corresponding lat/lon coords, lets call these (Lat,Lon).

Now, in Blender you split AB into A and B. The origin of A still is (0,0,0). And so is that of B still (0,0,0). If you place both A and B at (Lat,Lon), things will look good. But the origin of B is actually outside of the building (5 meters to the left, where A used to be). That's sub-optimal, and should be rejected by the scenery DB guys for good reasons.

So what you wanna do is shift the origin of B in blender such that it actually sits inside B, i.e., shift it 5 meters to the right. If you now place B at (Lat,Lon), both A and B will overlap. So the question is: what's the correct lat/lon of the place 5 meters to the right of (Lat,Lon)? This is where B actually should be placed.

This is where the flat earth approximation comes in. Essentially, you place a Cartesian coordinate system at (Lat,Lon), rotated such that, say, the x-axis points east, y points north, and z points up. A unit in the Cartesian system will be 1 meter. Using the two radii of the Earth (assuming it is an ellipsoid with a long and a short axis), and a bit of trigonometry, you can work out how many (fractions of a) degrees of longitude you move when you go 1 m to the east, or how many degrees of latitude you move when you go 1 m to the north. The error will increase as you go further away from the origin (because Earth is actually round and the Cartesian coordinate system is flat), but for your purpose, it'll be more than enough.

Maybe it's easier to use method #1 ;) but if you're a bit into math, it's not that hard either.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks, that more understandable now.
Last request, i saw that some model have been reject because of their size (file size)

What is the max allowed ?

Each weight file after split is between 2 / 3 Mo
FG Interface

daweed

Postby f-ojac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:35 am

There used to be a 2MB limit, don't know if it's still the case. A model over 2Mb in texture or AC is probably a bit too much for a flight simulator. The png files size can probably be optimized.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby daweed » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 am

f-ojac wrote in Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:35 am:There used to be a 2MB limit, don't know if it's still the case. A model over 2Mb in texture or AC is probably a bit too much for a flight simulator. The png files size can probably be optimized.

Texture seems to not be a pb, the biggest one is 289 Ko
And i made a understanding mistake, my blend file are about 2 Mo, i export some this morning, weight of AC file are more around 100 ko than 2 Mo

Sry for my mistake.

Last question, i have a model with more than one texture file ... how i can upload it with the form
As i can see, we can only send 1 texture file and 1 xml file with a model throught the web form .

Best regards.
FG Interface

daweed

Postby josh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:31 am

daweed wrote in Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 am:Last question, i have a model with more than one texture file ... how i can upload it with the form
As i can see, we can only send 1 texture file and 1 xml file with a model throught the web form .

If you have multiple textures, name them modelname1.png, modelname2.png etc.
You can upload more than one texture by clicking the select button once again (PNG texture file(s))

The models are very nice. I look forward to seeing you again at LFLL!
Thanks
Josh
josh

Next

Return to Scenery