Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Sharing airport layouts

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Sharing airport layouts

Postby elgaton » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am

That happens because we indeed use the X-Plane Gateway as an airport source, but we also need to:
  • combine that data with other sources (elevation data to draw mountains and hills, OpenStreetMap data to add streets and auto-generated buildings...);
  • rebuild the scenery using a special tool.

Unfortunately, the rebuild takes a long time (on my machine, it takes about 8/9 hours for a single tile), and the developer running the scenery building infrastructure has left the project - other core developers are in touch with him to recover the data that was stored there in order not to rebuild it from scratch (thus saving a lot of time). Additionally, rebuilding a single tile requires rebuilding at least an entire area, because the scenery elevation at the tile margins needs to match the one of the adjacent tiles, which complicates rebuilds.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Alant » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am

zacarias wrote in Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 am:If Flightgear (and, I presume, Terrasync) is using the X-Plane gateway, why are there so many airports in the X-plane gateway that don't show up in Flightgear, and others that show up but they're not built up (there's just the runways), although they are built-up in X-Plane'

Just adding buildings is a relatively simple task. They can be simply added to the scenery database.

Changing the aircraft (runways, taxiways, signs, boundary) is more complicated as the synchronisation between Xplane and FG does not happen. I have a couple of completed airfields and can find no way to submit them.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Alant wrote in Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am:Changing the aircraft (runways, taxiways, signs, boundary) is more complicated as the synchronisation between Xplane and FG does not happen. I have a couple of completed airfields and can find no way to submit them.

i assume you mean "Changing the airport"??
as for submittal, there is something at xplane's portal... you just won't see it in FG until the scenery is rebuilt...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Alant » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Waiting for the scenery rebuild ............... :)

In the meantime we now have a facility for loading private airfields and scenery. Should we not have a repository for holding airports and scenery that are in the scenery build queue?

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby merspieler » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm

Alant wrote in Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm:Waiting for the scenery rebuild ..............

How long do he have to wait?
Is there already on running or planed?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm

IIRC, Torsten (Dreyer) is planning to automate the process and rebuild world scenery on a server, a forum search will probably help ya
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby tdammers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:16 pm

BIKF still looks broken in current terraGIT:

At first I thought it was a matter of terrain and scenery objects disagreeing with each other, but on closer inspection, you can see that some objects are placed correctly, while others are clearly hovering.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:29 pm

terraGit support is found at thejabberwocky.net, it is not found here, since the primary leaders, were for unfortunate, historical reasons, banned.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 am

terragit takes objects from scenery database but these guys dont recalculate new altitudes for their custom terrains
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Previous

Return to Scenery