Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Flatland

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Flatland

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:59 pm

I just want to run flightgear without scenery for maximum framerates and testing aircrafts without lags.
Is this possible without hacking the source code?
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Re: Flatland

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:03 pm

punkepanda wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:59 pm:I just want to run flightgear without scenery for maximum framerates and testing aircrafts without lags.
Is this possible without hacking the source code?

Yes it is, and your question proves that you were indeed wasting our time, because you obviously you haven't read a single of those postings that we made in response to the whole performance debate that you started in the other thread: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshoot ... up_profile
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:30 pm

It was just a question I tought others might want to try also. Thats why I asked a constructive question.

I don't see why you need to give me that attitude for asking :( Why are you refering to a old thread when I wanted to keep this plan short without your personal attacks against me!

I presume I am allowed to ask in the forum since the wiki is a big bible not always easy to find tecnicals like this fast and easy.

Since it was a new feature in 3.1 i think I am allowed to ask!

This is what I was looking for.

--prop:browser=/sim/rendering/draw-mask
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/terrain=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/aircraft=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/models=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/clouds=0
Last edited by punkepanda on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
punkepanda

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Not giving you any attitude at all - we've been debating if you were wasting our time or not, some of us actually took hours to respond to you in a handful of threads, and posted links to the wiki (it being a "bible" or not, that exact link has been previously posted!) - and this "feature" is far from new, the screen shot as shown above is showing FlightGear 2.12, but there's nothing that makes it specific to even 2.xx at all - the feature you are referring to is "new" but is not even shown in the screen shot.
So this is not about being allowed to ask a question or not, it is about demonstrating that you are honoring advice, and following links posted in response to your own questions. And in this instance, you have quite obviously demonstrated -once again- that you disregarded the exact advice/links that you were asking for, by asking the same question again. Which kinda proves the whole point of wasting people's time.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Not giving you any attitude at all - we've been debating if you were wasting our time or not

Is this what this thread was about at all?.. Never mind. Don't answer it

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:40 pm: the feature you are referring to is "new" but is not even shown in the screen shot

Adding

Guess what.. Its DIDNT work! Hangs at loadtime "Loading Scenery"

Could someone show me what to do or do I really need to put every of this lines as startup command?
# --ignore-autosave # uncomment this for FlightGear versions >= 2.99
--airport=ksfo
--offset-distance=4000
--offset-azimuth=90
--altitude=500
--heading=0
--model-hz=60
--disable-random-objects
--prop:/sim/rendering/texture-compression=off
--prop:/sim/rendering/quality-level=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/shaders/quality-level=0
--disable-ai-traffic
--prop:/sim/ai/enabled=0
--aircraft=ufo
--disable-sound
--prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/random-buildings=0
--disable-specular-highlight
--disable-ai-models
--disable-clouds
--disable-clouds3d
# --disable-textures
--fog-fastest
--visibility=5000
--disable-distance-attenuation
--disable-enhanced-lighting
--disable-real-weather-fetch
--prop:/sim/rendering/particles=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1
--prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=2
Last edited by punkepanda on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkepanda

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:53 pm

as usual, you bug report is as incomplete as it gets and not actionable at all - have you looked at your startup log ? Have you tried setting the property at run-time via the property browser ?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:53 pm:as usual, you bug report is as incomplete

Because there is not much to report.
Startup logs show no errors at all. It hang at "Loading scenery".

But I got it to work from property browser at run-time
punkepanda

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:13 pm

ok, good job then - I'd suggest to file a bug report if you can reproduce the issue, i.e. that setting draw-masks prior to the initialization sequence, will stall the simulator: http://flightgear-bugs.googlecode.com/

To be more specific, it's stalling here:
Code: Select all
#0  clock_nanosleep (clock_id=<value optimized out>, flags=0, req=<value optimized out>, rem=<value optimized out>) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/clock_nanosleep.c:51
#1  0x00000000012074eb in SGTimeStamp::sleepFor(SGTimeStamp const&) ()
#2  0x0000000000b22a95 in FGTileMgr::update(double) ()
#3  0x00000000011fa09d in SGSubsystemGroup::Member::update(double) ()
#4  0x00000000011f949b in SGSubsystemGroup::update(double) ()
#5  0x00000000011f91b8 in SGSubsystemMgr::update(double) ()
#6  0x0000000000755b70 in fgMainLoop() ()
#7  0x0000000000cdde3c in fgOSMainLoop() ()
#8  0x00000000007569b5 in fgMainInit(int, char**) ()
#9  0x000000000072a12a in main ()

I've updated the wiki accordingly to add the mission property: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshoot ... up_profile
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Somewhere in the main loop then :)

Anyway. By setting all to false / 0 at runtime with the UFO I did not get more than about 40 fps, and after running for 10 minutes i was down to 25 fps.

--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/aircraft=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/models=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/clouds=0

Which probably "prove" that the tendency to get low framerates is not all about only the scenery or aircraft issues. I was expecting atleast over 100 fps with no 3d things rendered.
I must say that I am on optimus laptop, but that should not be the problem as I see others report simular decrease in fps after running it for a while.
punkepanda

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm

punkepanda wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:52 pm:Somewhere in the main loop then :)

No, it's specifically related to just the update() method of the tile manager, as you can see in the back trace. Like I said, I've edited the wiki instructions accordingly to add the property that was missing in order to prevent this from happening.

Anyway. By setting all to false / 0 at runtime with the UFO I did not get more than about 40 fps, and after running for 10 minutes i was down to 25 fps.
Which probably "prove" that the tendency to get low framerates is not all about only the scenery or aircraft issues. I was expecting atleast over 100 fps with no 3d things rendered.

Nope, your conclusion is not correct: scenery tiles will be loaded regardless of those draw masks - which is why the minimal startup profile uses a location that is guaranteed not to load any scenery.
Those draw masks will not prevent stuff from being loaded (=consuming RAM/memory), it will merely disable updates to the already loaded data. Which also applies to other stuff like aircraft.
Which is why heavy aircraft like the 777-200 or the extra500 will still perform much worse than comparatively lightweight aircraft like the ufo, ogeL, santa or the default c172p (especially the 2D version is fairly lightweight).

I must say that I am on optimus laptop, but that should not be the problem as I see others report simular decrease in fps after running it for a while.

Make sure that FG is actually using your hardware-accelerated graphics card, check at least the help/about dialog and the startup log to see if it's using the correct GPU.
Given the numbers you've posted, I'd say that FG might be using your Optimus chipset.
Depending on your OS, there should be some kind of nvidia-specific "control panel" where you can adjust your graphics settings, including profiles for specific applications.
Personally, I'd just add "fgfs" there and always make it use the dedicated GPU - there /should/ be code in fgfs doing this manually meanwhile, but it seems not to work for everybody, and there are some people (mainly Thorsten) who reported that their powermizer settings would default to the lowest power/performance setting, rendering OpenGL unusable for them. For anybody with Optimus hardware, setting up a dedicated application profile should be good workaround.

In general, even a laptop from 2007 will easily provide frame rates in the 200-300 fps ballpark when using the "minimal startup proflie", as detailed on the wiki.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm:No, it's specifically related to just the update() method of the tile manager, as you can see in the back trace. Like I said, I've edited the wiki instructions accordingly to add the property that was missing in order to prevent this from happening.

Good thing :) I will try then to see what fps I end up with.

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm:Nope, your conclusion is not correct: scenery tiles will be loaded regardless of those draw masks - which is why the minimal startup profile uses a location that is guaranteed not to load any scenery.

Aha.. Thanks..Good to know ;)

Hooray wrote in Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm:Make sure that FG is actually using your hardware-accelerated graphics card, .

It activates nvidia GPU, thats for sure.
punkepanda

Postby surpii » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:24 am

Turn off random objects and vegetation, turn off advanced weather when cruising, and close all unnecessary applications on your computer. Reducing the visibility also helps.
surpii

Return to Scenery