Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city.py development

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city.py development

Postby montagdude » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 pm

chriscalef wrote in Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 pm:Ah, cool, good to know, thanks montagdude.

One more question: I'm having a hard time figuring out how to tell FG about extra scenery folders. I'm using --terrasync-dir for my main TerraSync files, and trying to use --fg-scenery to tell it to look in my fg_customscenery folder for osm2city output, but so far it ignores that directory. The only way I've made it work so far is to copy the .ac files into my terrains folder and manually modify the stg file by copying and pasting into it from the stg files produced by osm2city. Clearly that is doing it the Wrong Way...? I'm skipping the launcher and running FG from a batch file, so I need a command line or environment variables solution.

Does your fg_customscenery directory have Buildings/, Roads/, Details/, and Pylons/ directly below it?
montagdude

Postby chriscalef » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:41 pm

(Sorry, missed the reply on the new page!)

> Does your fg_customscenery directory have Buildings/, Roads/, Details/, and Pylons/ directly below it?

Yes, it does.
chriscalef

Postby chriscalef » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:28 am

Ah, confusion re: fg-scenery is resolved. User error.
chriscalef

Postby chriscalef » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Does anybody have any suggestions for the apparently missing texture on the roads/bridges? I have about half of my roads/bridges/freeways coming up orange.
chriscalef

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm

are they orange for missing textures or as warning they are overlaying duplicate/similar object in same place?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Are you using shader buildings or the other option. The shader option isn't working with compositor last time I tried it. Either that or it was my graphics card not playing nice with the shader version.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby merspieler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 pm

Have you tried other osm2city scenery?

I'm running shaderbuildings + compositor... no real issue (besides them disappearing when the model shader is > min, but that happens without it too)

As well, the streets don't have anything to do with shader buildings.
Love at first flight A<380
Checkout Autopush. An improvment to the pushback to make your life easier.
Attempting an osm2city worldbuild... Coming soon to YOUR terrasync!
merspieler

Callsign: JST935. ORI1711
IRC name: merspieler

Postby chriscalef » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 pm

> are they orange for missing textures or as warning they are overlaying duplicate/similar object in same place?

That is a very good question. My brain has been conditioned by years of using Torque / T3D to interpret orange as a missing texture. :-) Not sure why the objects would be duplicate, but it could be something like that because it is in regularly spaced segments all through the road network. Like they might be if all the segments were too long.

> Are you using shader buildings or the other option.

By shader buildings do you mean the faux 3D urban texture? If so I have that but I moved the slider to zero so I can't see them anymore, it's a flat texture now.

> Have you tried other osm2city scenery?

It is happening in all the osm2city I have created so far, all based on the same US West dataset and all using the same params.ini. I have not tried other people's osm2city scenery.
chriscalef

Postby chriscalef » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:14 pm

ImageHere is a better view of the phenomenon.
chriscalef

Postby merspieler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:13 am

chriscalef wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 pm:By shader buildings do you mean the faux 3D urban texture? If so I have that but I moved the slider to zero so I can't see them anymore, it's a flat texture now.

Shader buildings is a way of drawing them like the random buildings. If used, osm2city just creates a text file with position and dimensions instead of the model. The model is then created at runtime. Note that this only applies to simple (rectangular) buildings.

Could you please try someone elses scenery so we know if it's the generation process or your rendering in fg.
Love at first flight A<380
Checkout Autopush. An improvment to the pushback to make your life easier.
Attempting an osm2city worldbuild... Coming soon to YOUR terrasync!
merspieler

Callsign: JST935. ORI1711
IRC name: merspieler

Postby vanosten » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 am

chriscalef wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:14 pm:ImageHere is a better view of the phenomenon.

To me it looks like you are not using ALS. osm2city without ALS is not tested.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm

vanosten wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 am:To me it looks like you are not using ALS. osm2city without ALS is not tested.

i use ALS here all the time... i see those orange things on newer osm2city scenery that others have built... IIRC, that's with and without the compositor... currently i'm building without the compositor but will probably be changing that in the next days or weeks with the recent improvements and updates to the compositor...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby vanosten » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:54 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:33 pm:
vanosten wrote in Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:53 am:To me it looks like you are not using ALS. osm2city without ALS is not tested.

i use ALS here all the time... i see those orange things on newer osm2city scenery that others have built... IIRC, that's with and without the compositor... currently i'm building without the compositor but will probably be changing that in the next days or weeks with the recent improvements and updates to the compositor...

Ok, I just have seen such "lighting" before. But if it is newer OSM and has nothing to do with recent FG Next builds (i.e. looks the same on 2018.3 or 2019.1, then I would like to have the coordinates and the ICAO of the nearest airport.

I am just quite suspicious because I have done very few changes in osm2city over the last few months, and I cannot see any of the changes in the commit log having the potential to mess things up. And FG Next is undergoing significant changes at the same time.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:27 pm

i don't really know that it is osm2city related, TBH...

i might also be wrong with my previous "with and without the compositor" statement... i have compiled with the compositor, now, to check out some other things... will note if/when i see the orange outlines and where they are as well as noting the scenery in use at that time...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby chriscalef » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Sorry, I got distracted for a minute with a different part of the process. I will try somebody else's osm2city scenery soon.

But meanwhile, OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS TOOL! =-)

I just worked up a process for converting the .ac files into collada (in Blender) and thence into T3D, and outside of a little fiddling with the final heights, I could not have asked for anything better! Many small tweaks to go, but the pipeline is established. Thanks again to anyone who worked on anything I am using here. FG is awesome.

chriscalef

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery