Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city.py development

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city.py development

Postby vanosten » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 am

Could you please try to give me the ca. coordinates of the houses in the front of the middle screenshot? It looks odd that they are not shader buildings and the roofs look odd, too. I would like to investigate. Thanks.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby miguel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:12 pm

I have tried osm in EHAM.
It doesn't work, it breaks
system; win10 intel core nvidia Gforce
Thank you
miguel

Postby slawekmikula » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:32 pm

vanosten wrote in Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 am:Could you please try to give me the ca. coordinates of the houses in the front of the middle screenshot? It looks odd that they are not shader buildings and the roofs look odd, too. I would like to investigate. Thanks.

Ahh, finally found it. It was just for test purposes so no hud. Coordinates on the HUD screen.

slawekmikula

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:16 pm

vanosten wrote in Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:15 am:Could you please do https://osm2city.readthedocs.io/en/late ... perimental and tell me, whether it helps.

i'm doing this now and reextracting the archive again... will report back shortly...

vanosten wrote in Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:15 am:Probably we should add it as default to FGData.

that might be a good idea if it doesn't hurt having it even when not in use...

[edit]

so yes, adding that section to the global materials fixed the problem... i flew from EHAM to EGLE and back at no more than 2500ASL... very nice! my low-end GT730 GPU handled as well as could be expected... i'm positive that it will be a lot nicer when i get a better GPU to work with ;)

[edit2]

BTW: what was the decision on how to handle the vehicles on multi-lane highways? i ask because i (still) see the vehicles traveling on them as if they are on two-lane roads...

i also seem to be missing their headlights and taillights at night... maybe they aren't very bright? i would expect to see them when i'm 100AGL flying at only 40/50knots, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby vanosten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:16 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:16 pm:BTW: what was the decision on how to handle the vehicles on multi-lane highways? i ask because i (still) see the vehicles traveling on them as if they are on two-lane roads...

i also seem to be missing their headlights and taillights at night... maybe they aren't very bright? i would expect to see them when i'm 100AGL flying at only 40/50knots, though...

I do not know. I do not do the shader stuff.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:39 pm

I do not know. I do not do the shader stuff.

It's not shader stuff - every road has a coordinate direction that's determined during the OMS2City phase. The shader does not know more than that and what it gets told to do - it just divides the road along the width to create two lanes and moves cars along the design direction on one lane and into the opposite direction on the other lane.

There's a flag for reversing the directions, and there's a flag for utilizing both lanes in the same direction for a given road type.

If the roads are generated with the right coordinate orientation and the correct flags are set in the assigned effect, then any pattern of car travel should be achievable. If everything is left to chance and default, then cars will generally drive left-right on every road and not respect e.g. British left-sidedness.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 pm

the main thing that i notice in the new OSM scenery re: the cars on the roads is that four-lane highways have the cars going both directions on each side of the highway... i'm guessing that the flags aren't set properly, then... is that a manual setting or is it determined in the data from OSM?

i can only imagine what happens on large multi-lane highways like the loops around chicago, atlanta, new york and others which have multiple lanes (more than 2) going in each direction...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 pm

i'm guessing that the flags aren't set properly, then... is that a manual setting or is it determined in the data from OSM?

OSM2City specifies which effect file is referenced, but the effect file itself has to be written by hand (just like for aircraft -you inherit from the master file and set only the flags you need...)
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:57 pm

ahhhh... i thought it generated everything needed based on the data... granted, i've not actually looked at it, yet... just the generated scenery packs that have been available :?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 pm

@slawekmikula: "Yes, that was it (at least in my case). Now FG loads up correctly without crash."

looks really nice! quite smooth framerate even with Intel card, leave only the red framerate counter down to the right, the other one kills some fps depening on the graphic settings
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby slawekmikula » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 am

Catalanoic wrote in Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 pm:leave only the red framerate counter down to the right, the other one kills some fps depening on the graphic settings

Thanks, didn't know. Some time ago there was a problem with standard FPS counter (disappeared) so the debug one was turned on.
slawekmikula

Postby vanosten » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:57 am

The BUILDING_LIST verb and related shader buildings are now considered done with regards to implementation in osm2city.

• Stuart B has finalized the simgear part and osm2city code has been updated to reflect that. You might see that previously generated test sceneries with building list shader buildings look odd now.
  • There are still improvement areas in osm2city to make the integration better, but most of this is related to code that also guides mesh buildings (e.g. make sure buildings in European cities centres are better aligned and handling of roofs at street angles.
  • Please remember that generated sceneries shall not be added to Terrasync. The reason is that versions of FG prior to recent versions of 2019.2 will crash (and personally I do not see a point in overloading Terrasync with osm2city data for the few that actually fly with it).
  • During x-mas / New Year vacation I will generate sceneries for Hawaii, Iceland and (at least parts of) the Alps.
vanosten

Postby slawekmikula » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am

vanosten wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:57 am:During x-mas / New Year vacation I will generate sceneries for Hawaii, Iceland and (at least parts of) the Alps.

Vanosten,

So it is right time to regenerate other areas e.g. https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32172 ? If yes, then can you share proposed settings for data generation ?
slawekmikula

Postby merspieler » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:36 pm

vanosten wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:57 am:Please remember that generated sceneries shall not be added to Terrasync. The reason is that versions of FG prior to recent versions of 2019.2 will crash (and personally I do not see a point in overloading Terrasync with osm2city data for the few that actually fly with it).

Interresting aspect I've never tought about in the "distributing osm2city" depate... good point tho.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby vanosten » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 am

slawekmikula wrote in Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am:So it is right time to regenerate other areas e.g. https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32172 ? If yes, then can you share proposed settings for data generation ?

Whether to start generating depends on your preferences. I do not know when 2019.3 (the stable release) will be available. So at least mark the requirements - it is not backwards compatible.

I have only tested in NL and CH. But I am keen on seeing it used in other areas (and help, if it fails).

As for parameters. There is basically just 1 to change:
FLAG_STG_BUILDING_LIST = True (FLAG_STG_BUILDING_LIST_2019_1 = False per default, but you might want to double check)
vanosten

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery