Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

osm2city.py development

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: osm2city.py development

Postby vanosten » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I have messed up water probing as well as brigdes in roads.py up. Please do not pull from git until it is safe again. (I guess that stuff up until https://gitlab.com/fg-radi/osm2city/com ... 9d6a7da373 is ok).

Unfortunately I did not find this stuff when working with Iceland - but not working in Switzerland it looks worse than previously. Sorry. Not sure when I will fix this, as I will be on vacation for three weeks.
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced obscene word
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby vanosten » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am

Btw: if anyone is using recent Windows versions from git (http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Git_on_Windows) and it actually shows osm2city, then please let me know. I can only see osm2city stuff on Linux - and I previously could on Windows.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:52 am

I can see OSM stuff here on Windows 2019.2 with Windows 10 at Kennedy Space Center. I couldn't see any roads but after a minute or two it loaded buildings. I wasn't particularly looking for it so didn't pay attention, maybe if I waited longer it would load the roads.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby vanosten » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

vanosten wrote in Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 pm:I have fucked water probing as well as brigdes in roads.py up.

I found the errors and the latest version should be ok again. After my vacation I hope that I can implement my ideas for improvements to roads at junctions as well as draping on bumpy landscapes.

Have a nice summer!
vanosten

Postby saul » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am

Hi,

I have just tested the latest commit by processing Sweden (all the country!). It took a complete night but the script finished nicely. Of course, it is always impressive to go around the cities and recognize distinctive objects including one's house. It looks so close to the real thing! Many thanks for all your effort by improving osm2city.

Now I have a request. Airports' objects like terminals are not currently generated. I understand that there is a problem when generating objects on top of manually created ones. However, in the case of Sweden and probably many other countries, there are not manually created objects in most airports. In these cases, the script generated objects are most probably the best solution.
Is it possible to have a control flag to generate objects in airports?

Saul
saul

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm

I got terminal buildings at Belfast fine. Maybe it wasn't marked as a terminal in OSM? Or maybe it is an older version?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby merspieler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:13 pm

as long as the buildings are in osm and have no collisions with existing objects, they'll be generated.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby saul » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:17 am

Hi,
I still believe this is related to the latest script.

Around one year ago, I got this result for Arlanda airport ( https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34582 ):

With the latest commit I have this result:

By careful looking to the pics, now I realize that not only the terminal buildings are missing. Also the streets around the terminals were not added.
saul

Postby miguel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:47 pm

vanosten:

I use 2019 win10.
well I see OSM.
I have only lost the pylons 25m. 50m.
miguel

Postby vanosten » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am

vanosten wrote in Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:18 am:Btw: if anyone is using recent Windows versions from git (http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Git_on_Windows) and it actually shows osm2city, then please let me know. I can only see osm2city stuff on Linux - and I previously could on Windows.

Well, I made a mistake. Apparently you have to specify the terragear directory in the "Downloads" section and then disable it. If you just add the directory to "Additional Scenery Folders", then the scenery shows fine, but does not show osm2city.
vanosten

Postby vanosten » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 am

I just checked the new 2019.1 release on Windows 10. Unfortunately BUILDING_LIST does not work. When using the EGHP scenery files (https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... GusHtzozAV), FG consistently crashes on load - it does not crash if I comment out the BUILDING_LIST entries. I cannot see anything in the logs.

In the newest nightly on Windows (as of this morning and also earlier versions) it is stable - and scenery objects do not disappear anymore. This is quite cool :-)

=> In case someone is using Windows 10 and trying 2019.1: could you please test whether the scenery loads correctly (you will see that smaller houses look a bit darker, but they look better) - or whether FG crashes? Thanks in advance.
vanosten

Postby merspieler » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:52 pm

nightly with or without BUILDING_LIST?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby vanosten » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm

merspieler wrote in Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:52 pm:nightly with or without BUILDING_LIST?

I intend to tell that the nightlies now also show BUILDING_LIST stuff without problems on Windows (it has been working on Linux for months)
vanosten

Postby barta » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 pm

saul wrote in Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am:Hi,

Now I have a request. Airports' objects like terminals are not currently generated. I understand that there is a problem when generating objects on top of manually created ones. However, in the case of Sweden and probably many other countries, there are not manually created objects in most airports. In these cases, the script generated objects are most probably the best solution.

Saul

¡Same here! And it's not new. Been noticing this for months.
¿is there some debug info that we can upload to help?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci
barta

Postby vanosten » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm

barta wrote in Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 pm:
saul wrote in Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am:Hi,

Saul

¡Same here! And it's not new. Been noticing this for months.
¿is there some debug info that we can upload to help?

Specific airport? Screen shots? Using latest version of osm2city?
vanosten

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery