Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

What's the best area to fly?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

What's the best area to fly?

Postby enricogranata » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:00 pm

What is the best (i.e. prettiest to look at) area for a flight? As far as I've seen, Paris is really unparalleled by any other city/location (as in real life :wink: ). Is there any other city worth flying over?
Callsign: EG10485
Aircraft: B737-300, B747-400, Mig-29, Carreidas, PC7
Airports: LIRN, LIRF, LFPG, BIRK and many other European ones
Programmer of: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fgfspm/ - FlightGear Package Manager
enricogranata

Re: What's the best area to fly?

Postby saturn5 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:26 pm

The photo-based scenery around Brest, France I think looks really amazing-

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1522&start=15

Have to install it though-

olivier.jacq wrote:For those of you who want to try the Brest area, please download :

* w010n40.tar.gz on the usual download site,
* http://blaniel.free.fr/pub/flightgear/b ... t_photo.7z

Then extract the files in the proper locations (i.e. Textures and Terrain)
Add the content of materials.add file in your materials.xml

Then start FG with --airport=LFRB

Enjoy !

N.B. : all aerial pictures are under Creative Common licence, see : http://www.brest-metropole-oceane.fr/vu ... sages.html

And HHS great screens of it-

HHS wrote:A lot of thanks to you and all who made this possible!

Though it is just a small area, it is very fun to fly there- what a feeling- completly different compared to the usual scenery!

I had just a small flight from LFRB with this "great" airplane (Thanks to helijah!):

After the start I had a right turn

Then after a short while and another turn I reached the harbour

Another turn:

Now get back to the airport

Final:

Great looking scenery- with Autogen, Lights and the other things it would be much better. Hope it can be solved sometime! :D But fun anyway! Would love to see some mountain area!

Thanks for that!

Regards
HHS
saturn5

Postby Gijs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Check the wiki for more suggested sceneries/airports: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Su ... ts/Scenery
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Natovr » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:34 pm

I think KSFO could use photorealistic scenery... It would give us a chance to showcase what Flightgear's scenery can really do :)
Callsign: ZS-NVR (mil/priv)IVA-003 (com)
Part of Island Virtual Airways, one of Flightgear's
Natovr

Postby enricogranata » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Natovr wrote:I think KSFO could use photorealistic scenery... It would give us a chance to showcase what Flightgear's scenery can really do :)

PR scenery didn't work for me though.. FG's memory usage kept increasing till it finally exploded :( (I have 1GB of RAM so I really think there is some problem)
Callsign: EG10485
Aircraft: B737-300, B747-400, Mig-29, Carreidas, PC7
Airports: LIRN, LIRF, LFPG, BIRK and many other European ones
Programmer of: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fgfspm/ - FlightGear Package Manager
enricogranata

Postby Gijs » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Natovr wrote:I think KSFO could use photorealistic scenery... It would give us a chance to showcase what Flightgear's scenery can really do :)

Why can't we show the loverly scenery of Brest? I agree it would be nice to have PR-scenery at KSFO, but that's for all places :)
If someone could find a free to use, willing to release under GPL company which provides aerial pics for San Francisco...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby saturn5 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Perhaps there could be a separate Creative Commons licensed texture/terrain pack that includes Brest and other CC PR. For example, could photography from here, http://openaerialmap.org/ be draped over the vector/landclass scenery?
saturn5

Postby yanes » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am

This may be a very old thread , but this is never an old question
What's the best scenery available now as end of 2017 to fly over ?
especially these areas with osm layers.
I want one which is downloadable via online scenery (terrasync) ,
any recommendations ?
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm

I enjoy flying in the Azores. Last week I spent hours flying there. One memorable flight was from LPPI (Pico) to LPHR (Horta) then on to Lajes (LPLA). Nice scenery there!

The UK is also nice, especially in urban areas with the new OSM scenery. VFR in the Highlands is always interesting, and you could fly from somewhere like Edinburgh to Oban?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby portreekid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Generally Skye is good. I usually fly XPLO <-> XBRO. Skye has most of the buildings. I spent hours adding them to OSM. Maybe sometime I'll add Eilean Donan
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm

i read yanes' post yesterday and have been mulling it over but i still don't really know how to answer it... so i'll take each in order...

1. the best? that's a matter of perspective... most any mountain scenery is real nice with GA craft... not so good with airliners due to the altitude and turns... can't really do canyon flying in an airliner unless maybe it is the Mach Loop... speaking of canyons, the Grand Canyon comes to mind... the Rockies on the US west coast are nice, the Alps, too... of course, let's not forget about the mountainous areas of South America... then there's areas like Hawaii with their water falls and active volcanoes... it depends on what you are looking for... some might say the ultimate best scenery is the view of Earth from orbit... it really is nice, too :)

2. OSM layers? i'm not sure how many areas there are that have been updated... not too many, i think... maybe a dozen? i'm not sure how many of those have been updated with the newer OSM code or how many of those have been added to terrasync... i haven't seen any updated in the Terrasync Building, Models, Pylons or Roads directories since the initial pushes that brought us a few areas plus KBOS...

3. all official scenery is on terrasync so that's a given...

4. the world is a really large place... unfortunately i don't have any recommendations... it is like most restaurant menus... too many choices...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby disguisedelk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Really depends on what I want to do. In the big airliners I like to zig zag across Europe and a couple places in North America (the descent into Seattle is quite scenic when you come in from the east), or if I have the time a long haul across the Atlantic.

Sometimes I like to take a small rugged propeller plane out and do some VFR flying or VOR navigation, and I for this I like the Pacific coast of Alaska and its mountain ranges. When I feel adventurous I try to find my way to some lonely place in bad weather, preferrably with the fuel getting low :P The scenery is really nice too, I think I took this shot following Copper River near Valdez.

That said, the world's a big place. I'm sure there are thousands of nice places to fly at that nobody has ever been to.
disguisedelk

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm:I enjoy flying in the Azores. Last week I spent hours flying there. One memorable flight was from LPPI (Pico) to LPHR (Horta) then on to Lajes (LPLA). Nice scenery there!

The UK is also nice, especially in urban areas with the new OSM scenery. VFR in the Highlands is always interesting, and you could fly from somewhere like Edinburgh to Oban?

Completely agree with the choice of Azores... I have been there only once and visited just four of the nine islands. Current landscape, after the "Mediterranean Materials" project, looks great and closer to the real thing. Namely in Pico.
The airport scenery could still be improved, and also it would be great to add some AI Traffic.

And avoid to use Project 3000 objects, because they are "out of sync" with the current version of the mesh (I have used Terramaster to download the latest Terrasync tiles). The problem is specially acute in LPPD Ponta Delgada Airport.

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby benih » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:21 pm

I love flying in the alps.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby The epic chicken » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 pm

i like to fly in the hymilayays
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken