Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

Postby Alant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I think that a "how-to migrate" to the new scenery is probably required.

We have several ways to download scenery - http://www.flightgear.org/download/scenery/ describes the key ones and now needs a quick update.

Also there is terramaster. as well as the possibility of using svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ terrascenery-read-only. - the last is not a very good idea for a number of reasons (80 gbytes I am told, and you may have trouble with the number of files involved), but it is possible to use svn to download just the tiles that you need.

Finally a clear statement of when and how to replace apt.dat in fgdata is needed.

I am not sure of the best way to proceed on these matters, perhaps one of the scenery team could find a moment to help. From what I have seen so far it is a stupendous piece of work, and gives a new way forward for the whole flightgear project. Thank you all.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 pm

At the moment you can only get the new scenery from the TerraScenery server (used by TerraSync; our automated scenery download/install tool). We're facing Googlecode's limits though, so a more permanent solution is being looked at. Luckily no-one needs the full set of scenery, you're not going to visit every single place in the world ;-)

Considering apt.dat, it's currently being discussed at the mailing list. Should have a firm plan before FlightGear 3.0 (by then, the hosting issue should also be solved).
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Bjoern » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 pm:you're not going to visit every single place in the world ;-)

Challenge accep-...nah. :lol:
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Johan G » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Bjoern wrote in Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm:
Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 pm:you're not going to visit every single place in the world ;-)

Challenge accep-...nah. :lol:

:lol: 20,000 airports visited by UFO:s... maybe. Though the next world scenery will have been released by then. :wink:

As a side note I have a lot of scenery: Europe, continental USA, northern Africa and then some. More scenery equals more chance I can start nearby someone else. :D

My TerraSync scenery before migration in November 2013 by Johan G, on Flickr
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm really liking the new scenery and the improved roads, I made a little 'simple' motor scooter model to travel on the new roads and it's a blast, well, except when I crash on really convoluted surfaces when a road crosses a steep river ravine or gorge. Procedural bridges and leveled road ways will be cool when they come out.. hint, nudge.

Oh and a screen shot.

LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Bjoern » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:56 pm

The amount of data downloaded by me from Terrasync between W130N50-W70N50 and W130N20-W70N20 (think USA, south half of Canada, most of Mexico and the Caribbean) amounts to about 3.5 GB of data so far.
Not bad, not bad at all.
Bjoern

Postby hvengel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:40 am

I must be doing something wrong. I did a fresh install just to make sure that I didn't have anything that might be causing an issue. I have terrasync enabled in fgrun and I can see it getting started when I start FG or I tell fgrun to do a "Scenery Prefetch". At this point my terrasync directory has about 860MB of data with the default tile and the tiles to the east and south of it. So it looks like terrasync is working. The default scenery directory has a little over 20MB and has not had any downloaded data added.

In spite of it appearing that terrasync is working I am not seeing the new scenery or at least anything that looks like any of the screen shots I have been seeing here in the forums.. I only see some major roads and no secondary roads and the major roads only sort of follow the correct route and some take implausible routes through the mountains. Roads, rivers and shore lines are made up of straight sections with sharp angular corners.

I think I have the terrasync directory correctly setup in fgrun and I have it setup as the first location in the FG_SCENERY section.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong.
hvengel
Retired

Postby sa7k » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 am

What part of the world are you dowloading? You can check here -> http://code.google.com/p/terrascenery/source/list that is already in the server because only a small part of the world is already available. It started from 0 lat 0 long and it only is up to 30 degrees to the east. So for us at the west and south there is a long wait to go :P
sa7k

Callsign: LV-EPM
IRC name: sa7k
Version: git

Postby hvengel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

OK that explains it.

The announcement from Nov. 2 says " The completed build is currently transferred to the terrasync servers and will appear there over the next couple of days." So I was thinking since it had been 6 days and this is more than "the next couple of days" that the scenery would have been available for every location. But it looks like currently only about 8% of the planet is available in terrasync. Doing a rough estimate it looks like it will take another month for everything to be available and perhaps three weeks for the US west coast to be available. I guess that everyone including myself was a little too optimistic.

I would have thought that the first tile uploaded to terrasync would have been the one around KSFO since this is FGs default location. But it appears that the automation that is uploading these tiles is doing them in numeric order moving east. So Europe and Africa will get coverage first. I will load a tile from the area that is currently covered and have a look. Perhaps someone can make a recommendation for a specific tile that would be a good test location for those wanting to see what the new scenery will look like once they have coverage for their local area.
hvengel
Retired

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Start in Holland and work your way south and an east in a relatively slow vehicle/aircraft. the new scenery is pretty amazing but the download times can cause a bit of a lag when they happen, depending on your connection.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby hvengel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Sounds good. My connection is fast at 30 mbits/s so bandwidth is a non-issue for me. I will also do a prefetch in fgrun and let it run for awhile which will also help since it will pull down most of the data for a tile in a matter of minutes.

I have been spending too much time working on the P-51D and not much time at the controls so I will be flying it. I need to get more stick time in part to balance things out but also to more completely test the new stuff. This should allow me to get a look at some fairly extensive sets of new scenery in a fairly short period of time since it will cruise at about 300MPH near sea level.
hvengel
Retired

Postby curt » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 pm

A collection of 7 torrents are available now to download the new world scenery release. We might bundle things a bit differently in the future, but this is a first try to see how things work. You'll end up with all the 10x10 degree .tgz files, the new shared models and airports (compressed) so you will need to extract them into a scenery tree after you've completed the download:

http://terasaur.org/item/downloads/flig ... v2-12/6697
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:49 am

Oh Boy! This is going to take forever! 80 GB :shock:

BTW, how is the initial seeding done? By home connection or some kind of webseed?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby hvengel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:52 am

Looking this over it looks like everyone will need to download Scenery2.0-Part01 as this has the Airports.tgz file and the SharedModels.tgz file. This torrent has the default tile along with all but the far eastern part of north America, all of central America and parts of the western South America.

On the web page you can click on the torrent and it will show you a list of files in that torrent so you can select additional torrents for the specific areas where you want to fly if these are not covered by Scenery2.0-Part01. So most people will only need to download one or two of these scenery torrents.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Bjoern » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks for the torrents!

I've added all seven of 'em, so unless my laptop or external harddrive doesn't shut down, I'll be up and running all night.
Bjoern

PreviousNext

Return to News