Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Want to contribute to scenery? Please read this before all.

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Want to contribute to scenery? Please read this before all.

Postby f-ojac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

Here are a few notices you should read before uploading - and better - before creating any 3D-model for FG. This is VERY important to save a lot of extra-human workload at the other end (the nice guy validating your submission in FG's scenery database). Those recommendations are also available at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/contribute.php#tips . Not following those recommandations could lead your models to be redesigned afterwards. Please follow them thoroughly.

For shared models positions.
If you want to add, delete, update, mass import shared models, please please use the forms at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/.
Use -9999 as elevation if you want the database to automagically compute it - less hassle for you ;-)

For 3D-models (there should hopefully be a form for this soon).
1. Release early, release often! The earlier you contribute, the easiest it is to tell you if your contributions are done as expected - or not.
2. Mandantory submission items
- Always choose reasonable (meaningful, descriptive) filenames for your models. At urban areas having a geometry 'tower.ac' or a texture just named 'red.png' or 'concrete.png' might prove not to be unique ;-)
- As a rule of thumb, try to let even a detailed, single model not exceed 1/2 MByte in total size, otherwise the simulation will face hard times when approaching densely packed areas. - A typical, single office building usually can be done at (far!) less than 100 kByte;
- Avoid spaces in file- and/or directory names;
- ALL PNG textures must have a power of 2 between their two dimensions (eg 128*256...).

Model placement:
- Position (if appropriate; either lon/lat, or Ordnance Survey grid - other grids can be added on request);
- Heading (if appropriate);
- Ground elevation (if known to the author) - in any !! case, report if the model has to be sunken into the ground in order to display properly !!;
-> .... or just simply submit the respective .stg-line with your model.
- Full name of author (if not already known);
- EMail of author (if not already known, will not be published, just as a reference);
- A notice which tells us that your submission is covered by the GPL (if not already known) - the nature of the FlightGear project does not allow us to accept submissions that don't comply with the GPL;
- Always tell us how to name the model (like 'Tour Eiffel - Paris - France').
- A 320x240 thumbnail containing an advantageous view on the model/object as (JPEG) image - this is preferred for a nice representation of your artwork;
- Country in which the model is located (if known to the author);
- Additional short comment on the author;

All this is to be submitted through our webforms at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org . Read also here: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... =5&t=14671 for more information.
NOTICE: To save you and us from avoidable and unnecessary extra work:

- Never group different, detached buildings into a single geometry file.
- Never put surface materials (tarmac, grass, roads, parkings, ...) into Scenery Model geometries.

-> The reason is simple: Depending on the angle of view, the operating system, the graphics card and driver, the underlying terrain slope, various people might be seeing rendering artifacts. Therefore: Please don't !

For groupings of individual models choose a distinct, corresponding position for each of them, never mount multiple models into a single position.
Textures should be in PNG format - older models which used rgb textures have been updated.
As a general rule, do not try to (mis)use 3D models as a substitute for unfinished airfield layout or land cover. Do not place your models at incorrect positions just because the current land cover shapes do not match.
Feel invited to send us an early version of your model even if it still has unfinished details. It's always possible to update the respective metadata entry with a refined model - especially when the placement of the model doesn't change any more.

-> The better your submission complies with these recommendations, the quicker we'll have it imported into the repository.
Last edited by f-ojac on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Re: Want to contribute to scenery? Please read this before a

Postby jarl.arntzen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 am

Hi.

I'm working on a more detailed version of the terrain in Kristiansand, Norway but I'm struggeling with building the terrain with TerraGear. (Indeed, I'm struggeling with building TerraGear at all on Linux.)

1. Would it be ok to submit the *.shp-files, even if I havn't built or tested this on my computer?
2. Where would I have to submit terrain updates anyway? Is there an e-mail address or similar? Or is there some kind of repo?

Kind Regards,

Jarl Arntzen
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby henrik_k » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:37 am

For shared models positions.
If you want to add, delete, update, mass import shared models, please please use the forms at http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/.
Use -9999 as elevation if you want the database to automagically compute it - less hassle for you ;-)

I have just started contributing to scenery with modelling the refinery next to the EDRY airport - the storage tanks (shared) have been accepted to the database and have been listed:
https://scenery.flightgear.org/app.php? ... ter=Filter

However, they are still showing -9999.00 as elevation (and are the only objects in the database to do so).
Does this mean that the computation and thus integration into FG has simply not happened yet or have I done something wrong?

Henrik
henrik_k

Postby VicMar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 am

Hi Hendrik,

The TerraSync data base is in the process of being moved and therefore updates/new submissions are not being passed forward.

It's hoped the overdue update will take place soon. I suspect your elevation will be corrected when the update takes place.
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby D-ABBA » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi Vic, Hi f-ojac.

You know me as a diligent contributor to the scenery of FlightGear. Now have a little time to improve scenery v2. Unfortunately, I notice again and again that buildings are placed at different airports so that "taxiing" to the ports is not possible.

For example EDDK. The building EDDK-Terminal2 stands so close to the terminal1 that an A320 can not roll it to the gate. Suggest that I use the submitting tool to move the EDDK Terminal2, which can be done without a crash with a commercial aircraft (e.g., A320).

May I do that ??? Should I wait until Scenery v4, OPEN STREET MAP aligned by FlightGear ???

With best regards
D-ABBA
(Author submitting form = Thomas Polzer) sorry for my broken english :)
D-ABBA

Callsign: D-ABBA

Postby VicMar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi Thomas,

I think it will be some time before the next terrain version is released.

If you think the buildings need to be moved, use the Update form.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby V12 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

I submited offsets updates to terrasync March, 1st. I got approval mail messages about offset changes, but the changes were still not revealed. On the scenery map I can see newvoffsets. How long to wait for the scene to be updated ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby VicMar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 am

1. It could be that some maintenance is being done on the Scenery data base which could delay models updates for a few days.

2. Are you sure you have automatic scenery updating selected?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby V12 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, I have. Allways using terrasync. In the file http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/scene ... 236488.stg are elevations for :
Code: Select all
OBJECT_SHARED Models/Commercial/Brasilia-generic.xml 17.1997317 48.1688424 130.02 316.7
OBJECT_SHARED Models/Commercial/Brasilia-generic.xml 17.2001871 48.1691679 129.97 316.7

Elevation of that buildings is equal to real terrain elevation - in the 3236488.stg file is not used offset -32 meters from https://scenery.flightgear.org/app.php? ... id=3480228 and https://scenery.flightgear.org/app.php? ... id=3480227. Elevation update was submited March 1st. And that situation is in many objects submited by me (uploaded and modified with e@mail garminbreak@gmail.com).
When will be scenery database updated ? IMHO, 5 days is too much time...
I uploaded 5 airports - LZIB, NZQN, NZAA, SEDQU and SKBO, then observed bad elevations on some buildings, then submited updates, but without visible effect after 5 days. Made I some other wrong ? If yes, delete please all of my objects as soon as possible, I will distribute this airports as custom scenery downloadable from git. If I did not makde any wrong, please update database.
Thank You in advance.
V12

Postby V12 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Offsets has been updated. Some buildings is still with bad offsets, but it is my own mistake. I submited changes, I hope, database will be updated soon.

EDIT 1 :
Database updated, elevation values for LZIB are new, evening will test in FG.

EDIT 2 :
Yes, object's elevations are OK in simulation.
V12

Postby ThomasS » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello D-ABBA,

regarding EDDK: It was me placing T1 and T2 (designed by pommesschranke) a few month ago. These are much more accurate than the existing buildings. Maybe some of the previous buildings still need to be removed. Due to a model change in T1 it currently has the wrong orientation and needs an update. Anyway, there might be problems with some gates that will not allow some aircraft to approach. But this problem is not specific to EDDK, it also occurs at other airports (eg. KSFO). I think just removing the building is not the best solution for solving the problem. A solution probably requires to involve jetways and groundnet layout. A tricky task.

BTW: This thread appears not be the correct location for discussing EDDK related issues.

Best Regards
Thomas

PS: About Terminal2: I placed it a few month ago at the location that I considered to be correct according to OSM. This "correct" location however appears to be on Apron D blocking the previous building T2 with its jetways. To me it appears very likely that the apron of the terrain is too small (look at the D* parking positions, they are on grass). Now, after Terminal2 was moved out of the way, its on grass. Looking quite good, no longer blocking the previous building T2, but not "correct". I'm a little clueless now on how to proceed. There might be conflicts with Terminal1, which also is at the "correct" location and I plan to adjust the jetways of Terminal1 to be at "correct" locations related to Terminal1. I think I will not touch Terminal2 for now, neither the new nor the previous.
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Postby thuanlv » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 am

Hi,

I removed some old military hangars. They are updated on https://scenery.flightgear.org/map/ but they are still on my Flightgear. To ensure Flightgear doesn't use old data, I uninstalled it and removed all old downloaded data. Unfortunately, the old hangars are still there. Anyone help me please?

P.S. You can see all information and comparison between map and data in attached figure.
Imageflightgear by thuanmagic, on Flickr
thuanlv

Postby VicMar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:47 am

Try removing the affected STG file and then launch FG. Terrasync should update your file then. Be patient, it doesn't happen very quickly.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am

Massive apologies. Many of these deletion inputs had found their way into the 'Pending' file.

I've just validated most of them. Some didn't pass the automatic checks and will need to be input again.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby thuanlv » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:50 am

VicMar wrote in Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am:Massive apologies. Many of these deletion inputs had found their way into the 'Pending' file.

I've just validated most of them. Some didn't pass the automatic checks and will need to be input again.

Vic

Hi VicMar,

I saw some hangars were removed on Saturday but they appear again today.
Can you have a look please

Thank you very much
thuanlv

Next

Return to Scenery