Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Postby fmg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am

f-ojac wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm:Yes you can (for the trees) as long as you do not place them in .ac or on places where there are sensed being automagically generated.
OK. Thanks! Just the shared object trees, not in .ac. There are several hundred. So I can't tell for every single one about possible mix up with the automatically generated, but I assume it won't be a great conflict.
But the high informations all based on the old scenery. Could this be converted?
f-ojac wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm:EDDI looks great with the new terrain (you can already get it from Terrasync). Only a few offsets needs to be set on objects (pylons showing too high).

Sounds exciting. Hope I will be able to check it out in the next days. Got to get TerraSync running.

f-)
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby f-ojac » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Unless I'm wrong, there shouldn't be automagically generated trees within airport boundaries.
Use -9999 when you submit data, so FG will compute elevation based on the latest terrain elevation.
Hosting terrasync, World Scenery, TGWeb on my own private server. Click here to donate and help to make the service last.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby fmg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm

Hello,

it has been a long time since I wrote my last post here. There are a lot of reasons for it. One important is the new scenery. I've waited for for years to see the new EDDI-layout in action.
So I was very excited when it came up. What should I say: a dream come true. I was quite surprised how well it fits if you imagine, that I never had a opportunity to test what I've done before.
OK — there are about 3 or 5 details that should be fixed. Mostly fences collide with roads. But in general it fits quite amazing.

Before
Now

With the new layout you get the real EDDI feeling while taxiing and so on.

Displaced fences.
There are also problems with the rendering here. The taxi-lines disappear if you come close.
There is a base slope in the apron. Here the base is to low. In the previous picture it's way to high. This could be hard to adjust in the model.
Looks like the building is counted as a hight in the terrain.
In some places the lines are above the ground.

But unfortunately all my greatest fear also becomes true. FG becomes unusable on my machine with the new scenery. Frame rate is about 5-7 or worse.
If you are interested in the whole story: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3028&p=215450&sid=d15e39c41f4f5ca789877b53d66fdd5e&sid=d15e39c41f4f5ca789877b53d66fdd5e#p215450
It took me some time to find out how to deal with this situation.
Think I will stay with FG 2.0 and stop my contributions to the repository. It didn't make sense for me to make FG more unusable for even more people. For the moment I will make the new models available for download, so people that have that fancy machines you need can use it. Since my scenery isn't compatible then, you will have to find out the new high information on your own. Also I couldn't guaranty that the models are still compatible with the latest FG version. Backward compatibility is pretty absent, but I've seen cases where forward compatibility got broken also. These models are published under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA Version 4.0 license.
Also there are a lot of missing buildings that are in the area of the taxi way in the old layout. Therefor I never build them since the place to put them is occupied. So I wonder if it's worth finishing it at all, since I will never have a benefit from it. Maybe someone can help me to get my old 8.10 EDDI layout running, so that I could finish my work. Not lucky with the situation, but I can't change it.

Here some new stuff.
Now also in the west the runway 27R is blocked by buildings.
This is my last model I send to the repository. I think this could be justified because it replaced a bunch of placeholder buildings.
Also did some performance optimizing on some of my old models in the repository. Can't tell if this helped. Couldn't see a difference here.

The following models could be downloaded for peoples that have a fast machine.
Now there is a softball field at EDDI

Could be downloaded here: http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/THF/EDDI-Softball1.zip

ALso the filling station for deicing is finished. Winter could come.

Could be downloaded here: http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/THF/EDDI-Frostschutztank.zip

Enjoy!

f-)
fmg

Postby Gijs » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi,

I remember the excitement when the buildings I placed at EHAM fitted perfectly with the Durk's AI traffic :-)
fmg wrote in Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm:FG becomes unusable on my machine with the new scenery. Frame rate is about 5-7 or worse. (...) Think I will stay with FG 2.0 and stop my contributions to the repository.

Fortunately the problems with the new terrain are known and are currently being worked on. The next scenery build should perform a lot better. Hopefully up to the point that it becomes usable for you again with close to similar frame rates while looking much better than our default 1.0 scenery. Your models are true gems and deserve some nice terrain and a smooth running sim.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby fmg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Thank you Gijs for your reply.

Let's hope for the best, although there has quite some work to do piled up I assume. :roll:
Not only the speed, also all the broken features.
I leave now for vacation. So I'll be offline for a few days.

f-)
fmg

Postby fmg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello,

here is an other part of the puzzle for you in the Tempelhof scenery.
I finished the Halle 8 building, that you pass by while taxiing at the west. Some impressions (click to enlarge):

An download is available here:
http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/THF/EDDI-Halle8.zip
If there will be a FG version that is fast enough to run the 2.0 scenery on my system I think I will put it to the repository again. But until that day you can decide, if you one of the happy few that can run this stuff. Unfortunately FG 3.2 stays as bad as all versions since 2.10 here. So all you see here is FG 2.0 around 30 fps easily.

Things to come:
Made a great progress with texturing the main building. There is lots of work left, but now the tower is finished.

Also the Kopfbau West and Ost are completely textured.
Here the east.
Here the west.

And at last there is a home for the fire-fighters (Feuerwehr in german).

Maybe best of all. The departure gates got a brand new texture. At the moment it is a picture of the real thing on the whole length. There are small differences for every gate. Not two of them that are equal. But I think I should switch to a more generic version for the final release. This texture file is pretty heavy.

And in the end there is also a new video to get an impression from the actual state:

Sound is a bit weird. :oops:

Bye bye.

Hope you like it.

Enjoy!

f-)
fmg

Postby Bjoern » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 pm

A yellow Bo-105PAH...looks like the ADAC stepped up its game!
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby fmg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Bjoern wrote in Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 pm:A yellow Bo-105PAH...looks like the ADAC stepped up its game!

I guess they should control the "PKW-Maut" :wink:

f-)
fmg

Postby Bjoern » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:46 pm

fmg wrote in Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm:I guess they should control the "PKW-Maut" :wink:

Berliners fortunately don't need cars. 8)
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby fmg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Hello folks,

here some more new stuff. Managed to get a long lasting gap filled. Finished the building Oderstr. 30-34.
Now the buildings in the east along the Oderstr. are complete.
Have a look:
Before
Now
Some impressions
Here you come in for 27L.
View at EDDI airport.
There are lights in the dark.
Good night...

Here is the download: http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/THF/Berlin-Oderstr30-34.zip

Enjoy!

f-)
fmg

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 am

Why not in Terrasync!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Probably because of size.

In my weak computer (click my name for profile and specs) Berlin, Paris, San Francisco and a few others are already a no-go, mostly due to single-digit frame rate, while many other areas (even with the new scenery) gives me 10-20 fps (up to 30 fps over bare terrain, again with the new scenery).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby fmg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 am:Why not in Terrasync!

I gave a more detailed explanation for it a bit further up the road. Have a lock here below the first block of pictures: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15378&start=75&sid=944b1b947c0515260130b4f56f3f4801&sid=944b1b947c0515260130b4f56f3f4801#p215451

Not really because of the size, as Johan G mentioned. The model is only 82 k and should so be able to go to the repository. And even with the developer-version of the texture, that has 20.5 MB it runs easily with 30 fps with my old FG 2.0 (texture shrunk to 500 k for the download version).
But performance, what might be intended by Johan, is the reason. In the past there where reports from few users that the area is unusable slow on their weaker machines.
Since the FG 2.10 release there was an a huge decrease in fps here and this in addition with scenery 2.0 makes this unable on my relative fast machine also. It often was claimed that a new FG would run as fast a an old one if you switch all the eye-candy of, but this isn't true, at least on my machine. Frame rate stays as bad, regardless if you put this stuff on or off. No use to slow this down further. So I sadly decided to make it available for download for the happy few that can run this stuff, instead of putting it in the repository. With TerraSync you are committed to it. You get 2.0 scenery and have to use a new FG version.
So you can decide. Sorry for the adversity.
Hope they manage to fix this regress in the future, so that I could put this stuff to the repository again.

f-/
fmg

Postby Michat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Awesome textures, buildings, fences, etc.
Congratulation fotomas for your excellent work.

We have a question, what is that airplane model that has a headset over the panel?.

Cheers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby josh » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Michat wrote in Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:55 pm:We have a question, what is that airplane model that has a headset over the panel?.

hej Michat, this is the aero commander 500 I think

Hej fmg,
I can only agree. nice textures and detailed models. It is one of the liveliest places.

Thanks
josh

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery