Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: EDDI 2.0 Berlin-Tempelhof

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Everybody is free to share their works, if your scenery need optimisations, rework and more and you aren't able to complete it in short term because technical complications or life.., maybe a temporaly solution is to share it as custom scenery and maybe people can do updates on it or way for Terrasync. I think that main building could be splitted, texture lowered, delete faces and lots of tweaks to deal better with it on low-end systems.
I made some tests running KBOS (Boston, USA) highly developed with thousands of detailed objects and OpenStreetMap stuff like buildings, roads and powerlines+road traffic+loaded detailed aircraft under mid-end (not new) hardware getting still flyable 15-20fps on last recents FG builds. This is an example of heavy scenery, maybe higher than your EDDI because larger but always can be improved not just FG and scenery itself but hardware over time, and whats better than a collaborative way instead of offline work saved on a single computer when you invested too many time on it?.

PS: I noticed that you partially left FG, pity, do you know how hard is to get people involved? particularly developers are valuable, also for a 20-year open community like FG. I recommend you to keep work online, do smaller things and publish it often to get practical objectives and things done, it worked for me on some other aspects.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:24 pm

FWIW: if KBOS is "heavy scenery" then the area around Paris, FR, must be pure osmium :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby fmg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Hello,

just a small report to you what happened during the last months.
Worked a bit on this scenery again.
Now I added the two missing lights for the eastern approach lighting.
As you can see these are placed on a rooftop.
So I had to build the whole housing block before I could place them.

Then also some other stuff I had made since my last post.
There was some small additions. First I finished the fire fighter training plane.
Then the weather-radar on top of the main building.
Then some small changes on the model due to performance optimization that you can't see. Therefore also the stairs where changed from solid color to texture, what you can see here:

And I also made the radar tower:

Maybe there will be a download for some parts, when they are finished in the future.

Enjoy!

f
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby Ger272 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Wow :o
Looks great. I'm currently working on EDDB and there will be a scenery package soon. Maybe we will get all Berlin Airport to be fully modeled :)
Is there a way to get your EDDI scenery?
Ger272 HQ-Liveries on request:
A350, A320, A380 and Transall
Ger272

Callsign: LH390/ BER4EVR
Version: 2020.3.8

Postby fmg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Ger272 wrote in Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm:Wow :o
Looks great. I'm currently working on EDDB and there will be a scenery package soon. Maybe we will get all Berlin Airport to be fully modeled :)
Is there a way to get your EDDI scenery?

Here is a download-link to the last finished housing block from the top: http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/Download/ThomasHermannStr.zip

For previously finished stuff that is not in TerraSync the links given in this thread should still be active.

All Berlin airport would be great:) Unfortunately Gatow is still missing in FG.
Did anyone know if it is present in X-plane?

f-)
fmg

Postby fmg » Wed May 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Hello,

here another piece of the puzzle.
There was a gap in the west. Near the tower there are two housing blocks at the street Tempelhofer Damm that where missing.
Before it looked like this (click to enlarge):
You can see the gap on the left side.
Now it these are finished and it looks like this:

Some more impressions:

The new buildings are the two on the right. The one in the middle is in TerraSync, but yet without a texture. I'm working on it, but it is a rather complex building with a lot different surfaces. Making textures is the most time consumptive part. Guess a third is done now.

Here is the download-link:
http://fmgoeldner.net/FG/Download/TempelhoferDamm64-76Download.zip

In my last previous download I discovered, that I had a wrong path in the readme. Such things happen if you do things in a hurry. Hope you where smart enough to handle it well anyway. But now I have corrected it and updated the download.

Enjoy!

f-)
fmg

Postby F_D2760 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Very nice job!
KUbuntu 22.04
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
22" + 22"
16 Go
F_D2760

Callsign: F_D2760
Version: Last one

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Nice work! That is a remarkably low approach in the third screenshot there :mrgreen:
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby fmg » Sun May 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Thank you gentleman!
Glad you like it!

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 pm:Nice work! That is a remarkably low approach in the third screenshot there :mrgreen:

You mean the An 225? (The Ar 79 was just fooling around in the backyard) :lol: That's a start from runway 27R, what is the shorter one. So for such a plane they would have choosen the 27L, where you also not have such high buildings in the end. 27R was mostly used for GA in the end. But in a simulator you can have a try... :mrgreen:

A real low approach I had a while ago with a An-2 at the 27R. Was some time I used this plane and so I pull out the gas a bit to much:
It was a near miss, but went out well in the end. :roll:

But even the regular approach on the 27L is relative low, as you can see here (according to the PAPI, click to enlarge):
So the approach in the first pictures on the page https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15378&p=330242&sid=c7e6e514988b6089d41f1e3d95e02c15&sid=c7e6e514988b6089d41f1e3d95e02c15#p330242 is quite realistic.
Therefore I like this scenery because it could add some spice to your starts and landings.

f-)
fmg

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Yes, the 225. Nice screenshots :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby fmg » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 am

THX

I had to admit that the glide-path is probably correct, but the terrain in FG is way to high in the east. This is scenery 1.0.1 but the problem stays similar in scenery 2. Guess the problem is, that that the high-information in FG are generated from radar data. So they take buildings in account too.
Guess I got the hight of the buildings and approach lighting above the ground roughly correct.
But the terrain is way to high, so you have to make compromises. In reality the two buildings at the right are about the same level, but in FG this is not the case.
In the plan I got from the airport also high information of the surrounding are included, as you can see below.
Each red circle stays for a given value.
According to this the ground level at the housing block in the front is about 9 meters to high. To get approach lighting system in their real position a had to sink the housing block in the ground. But this would look odd and unrealistic, so I decided to place it with about the correct hight above the given ground.
So in reality a plane on the glide-path would be about 9 -10 meters higher above the buildings.

In the end a picture from my last progress with the texture of the building at the Tempelhofer Damm. Theres a still lot of work to do, but another face is on the way.

f-)
fmg

Postby fmg » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Hello,

it has been quite while since the last update, for a lot of reasons. One of them is this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39611
Got the 2.0 layout of EDDI running here, with some issues. But this definitely a huge step forward, even if not ideal.
Corona reality occupied also a lot of the time. Didn't get infected yet, but you have to work much more now.
So nearly all my FlightGear stuff comes for an hold quite a long time. Also lot's of rather time consuming tasks had to been done, mostly textures. Now I slowly worked again on some projects. One invisible part was to optimize some older models for better performance.
On the other hand I worked on some textures for the EDDI surrounding. Glad I finished the one for the buildings at the Tempelhofer Damm in the west. That was a heavy task, since this is a huge complex with several connected buildings, all with different textures.
And then I also finished the block right at the end of runway 09L in the east.
Here some impressions (click to enlarge):
First from the west side. Tempelhofer Damm
This is where I ended in the last post, now finished.

Now the east side at the Oderstraße.
Before
Now

Here you can learn how to taxi. And there is an Internet cafe also;-)
Unfortunately the terrain in FG is mostly way to high here so that a lot of the buildings on the east side is below the ground.

Some of the screenshots show the highres version of the texture, in full working resolution. But this to much and above the limits. So I will put a lowres version into the repository as soon as possible. Hope this does not drop the perfomance at Berlin to much.

Enjoy!

f-)
Last edited by fmg on Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmg

Postby Johan G » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm

fmg wrote in Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm:One invisible part was to optimize some older models for better performance.

In your experience, what are some good was to do that? And also some bad ways to avoid?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby fmg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:24 pm

Johan G wrote in Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:28 pm:
fmg wrote in Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm:One invisible part was to optimize some older models for better performance.

In your experience, what are some good was to do that? And also some bad ways to avoid?

Good and interesting question!
But since it is a huge and complex field I think it is better to discuss this in another threat. So I opened this one where I describe what I have done as good as possible:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39620&sid=00e41a7ae86efe1298f1783b91e24542#p390766

f-)
fmg

Previous

Return to Scenery