Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Some huge enhancement...

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Some huge enhancement...

Postby saturn5 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 pm

That is a really beautiful achievement! Thanks to those who made this scenery possible and the great screen shots demonstrating it.
saturn5

Postby ajm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks for making this effort and making it available; while photo-based scenery like this has its well known problems, it's very nice to have the option to use it in certain places. I've been enjoying flying over Brest while testing some improvements to the DR400 :-)
ajm

Postby eik00r » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 am

olivier.jacq wrote:For those of you who want to try the Brest area, please download :

* w010n40.tar.gz on the usual download site,
* http://blaniel.free.fr/pub/flightgear/b ... t_photo.7z

Then extract the files in the proper locations (i.e. Textures and Terrain)
Add the content of materials.add file in your materials.xml

Then start FG with --airport=LFRB

Enjoy !

N.B. : all aerial pictures are under Creative Common licence, see : http://www.brest-metropole-oceane.fr/vu ... sages.html

hi olivier,
is "materials.add" a file? if yes, where to find it? thanks.
eik00r

Postby Sealbhach » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:43 pm

I would really like to try this too, but there is no "materials.add" file in the download.

Sealbhach

Postby f-ojac » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in the Brest photorealistic scenery.

The posts you are refering to date back to last year and since, we have migrated to FG 2.0/OSG, therefore there has been quite a few mods. The link to the blaniel data now only works with the OSG version.

Once the data is downloaded, you have a readme clearly explaining the howto. To have it working (please note that I use FG/GIT under Linux), you need to follow those steps :

1. Add the last lines of the file to materials.xml;
2. Add the files under Textures/Brest in the tar.gz file into Textures/Brest;
3. Add the files under Terrain/w010n40/w005n48 into your local Terrain directories (Terrasync local directory or local "static" repository).

This will give you the following results. Please note there still are a few inaccuracies with the terrain (you will see some objects "floating" and the airport boundaries are sharp). A fix for sg/fg should hopefully correct this.

Aerial pictures CC-BY-SA by Brest Métropole Océane
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Sealbhach » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 pm

OK, I got it working. First I tried to run it from my Gnome desktop, but got a crippling framerate, impossible to use. So I logged in to my alternative Openbox desktop and it ran perfectly. I guess it has some higher system requirements.

Here's a screenshot I took (cliquez pour embiggener)

C'est incroyable. Merci vraiment beacoup! :D

Sealbhach

Postby HHS » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:25 pm

A pity that the landclasses not match with the image. Would be great to have forest where forests are and the water feect on the water displayed there.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby eik00r » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 am

OK, It is working now. Very nice. Impressive!
Thank you, Olivier, very much.
eik00r

Postby f-ojac » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi all, HHS,

HHS wrote:A pity that the landclasses not match with the image. Would be great to have forest where forests are and the water feect on the water displayed there.

Glad it worked, nice screenshot ! Happy you enjoyed it. This shows what can be achieved with FG.

Concerning the landclass, HHS:

- this will be solved once the Corine data is compiled in the scenery. Looking forward to it; if I look at the mapserver, this will perfectly match;
- the other problem for the moment is that the dds file do not - yet - come over the actual terrain data, but has been recompiled, so there is a mismatch between the elevation with the Terrasync data and the one in this package, which leads to certain inaccuracies in the objects elevation. The author of the dds files created a patch for fg and sg. Hope it will be merged sometimes. Concerning the sea, maybe a cut in the dds file would be enough to have the "usual" sea in FG.

Please try it, you will see it is fun to fly.

Cheers,

Olivier
f-ojac

Postby SharjeelHKh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 am

Hey oliver.jacq, I have followed ur mentioned 3 steps to load brest scenery, But having trouble in loading it.
first of all it doesn't bring the LFRB in airports list as I m using fgrun. But if I select airport from menu. Flightgear tries
to load the scenery but then hangs for infinite time leaving black screen and menu bar.

What possibly the reason behind this? I really wana see this scenery by flying fgfs as it is no doubt is the great work.
any suggestion??
SharjeelHKh

Postby nicegood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

olivier.jacq wrote in Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm:Hi all, HHS,

HHS wrote: Concerning the sea, maybe a cut in the dds file would be enough to have the "usual" sea in FG.

For the word of the above,how to make a cut in the dds file?Please give me some tips
nicegood

Postby flightgeardownloads » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:22 pm

i dont quiet get what this means

“” Add the files under Textures/Brest in the tar.gz file into Textures/Brest;””

Can anyone explain this to me plzz

Cheers
flightgeardownloads

Postby Gijs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 pm

After unpacking the tar.gz file, you will have a Textures/Brest directory. Move the files in there, to a (to be created) FlightGear/Textures/Brest directory.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby mike4lin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Looks much better. I've some google textures that I'd want to use, but didn't yet get the logic/structure of the dds files. Any help/hints are much welcomed.
mike4lin

Postby I-NEMO » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:32 am

Dear Olivier,

this is really a nice job!...flying over Brest was wonderful. And just because I do presume that the experience would be exciting for other FG pilots too, here's some shots:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Even if there are some limitations (for better look, you have to fly at a proper altitude), the overall result is awesome...
Could you give us a workflow in order to achieve these results?

Thank you again, trés beau! :D

I-NEMO

PS:...flying at dusk/night, there are no lights on Terrain. My problem, or something missing?
I-NEMO

Callsign: I-NEMO
Version: 2017.2.1

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery