Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Some huge enhancement...

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Some huge enhancement...

Postby VaLeo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am

I'm wonder why this patch still not in git.
Its awesome feature - so easy made phototerrain, wihout xml, just add-delete files!

For US there is some free aerial photo sources, and it very easy to make things like this.

Also its very easy to place landmarks in correct places: just export image from OSM, copy it to certain folder and voila! Place object, then delete image.

Can't believe that there is cons to modify present shaders.
VaLeo

Version: GIT

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

VaLeo wrote in Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am:I'm wonder why this patch still not in git.
Its awesome feature - so easy made phototerrain, wihout xml, just add-delete files!

Technically, yeah you're right, it's easy to do -so easy, even I might be able to do it, if I give it a try!

However, this is the real world, so there's that big wall of a problem called "licensing issues".

Because FlightGear is released under the GNU GPL license, which only allows work released under the same license to be used, we can't use most of those images.
The images are usually either proprietary, copyrighted, or Creative Commons if you're lucky.

So there's a legal barrier that keeps us from putting the photorealistic scenery into the official database; it can only be released as a third-party addon, at most, sadly...

-If I made a mistake in my explanation, please feel free to correct me, thanks.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby El Flauta » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 am

kyokoyama wrote in Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm:So there's a legal barrier that keeps us from putting the photorealistic scenery into the official database; it can only be released as a third-party addon, at most, sadly...

It's right, but could be possible to write easy tutorials for individuals who want to make it for themselves. :wink: Isn't?
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby VaLeo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:53 am

kyokoyama wrote in Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm:it can only be released as a third-party addon, at most, sadly...

What problem with third-party?
A lot of scenery, textures and models are released not GPL. With only GPL products FG cannot use all potential. Just look at CORINE scenery, scenery addons with OSM, Tu-154B, E-JET170 etc. Noone who use it say no word against it that it's not GPL.
I can upload files for KSFO area (also I hear that Gijs make photo GrandCanyon), but even git users cannot use it as patch become working not well (

And we can use not only actual non-GPL photos - textures may made in Terragen, in Gimp from vmap_0 screenshots as base, etc.
VaLeo

Postby f-ojac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Hello I-NEMO,

I-NEMO wrote in Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:32 am:Could you give us a workflow in order to achieve these results?

Thanks for your feedback + nice pictures. As mentionned earlier in this post even if I was at the source of the idea and if I asked the authors of the pictures for their permission, I did not myself made the transformations for the pictures. And the guy who did never had the time to write a proper howto, maybe one day.
I know he has tried to make it simple and published a patch, but without success AFAIK.

I-NEMO wrote in Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:32 am:PS:...flying at dusk/night, there are no lights on Terrain. My problem, or something missing?

That might be because the pictures are slightly "flying over" the terrain, and therefore the lights may be under.
Last edited by f-ojac on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f-ojac

Postby VaLeo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm

@I-NEMO

1) apply patch to SimGear and shaders
2) download geotiffs with desired area (I took from here)
3) in Qgis crop them by tiles size (depending of lat/lon) and stretch it to ^2 size in Gimp
4) convert it to dds (like 942058.dds) and place it next with your tile .btg

VaLeo

Postby f-ojac » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Wiki has been updated.
f-ojac

Postby fgphotoscenery » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

fgphotoscenery

Postby Raptor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 am

VaLeo wrote in Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm:@I-NEMO

1) apply patch to SimGear and shaders
2) download geotiffs with desired area (I took from here)
3) in Qgis crop them by tiles size (depending of lat/lon) and stretch it to ^2 size in Gimp
4) convert it to dds (like 942058.dds) and place it next with your tile .btg

how to add this patch for FlightGear in Windows XP ( FG v1.9.1 )
Raptor

Callsign: Raptor
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby andthewicked » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 am

so I downloaded the brest package copyied the readme xml file to the materials.xml file in fg data folder. making sure I only copied the right part of that file, into just before the property list

I 'cp' the terrian data to my fg scenery terrain folder once with the w010n40 as its own folder in fg/data/scenery/terrain main folder

once to the fg/data/scenery/terrain/w130n30 sub folder

and I created the folder Brest under fg textures and cp the contents of the downlaoded Textuers to that folder

but when I pull up the airports list and click Brest I get's nothing. Am I missing somthing? my only other thought is maybe I have to download some patch I saw on the wiki but I thought that just ment if you wanted to create your own P.R scenery. Maybe you have to have the git version as well.

any help would be much apreciated thanks and this looks amazing

Linux 3.3.3-1-ARCH
Flightgear 2.6
KDE 4.8.2
AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
2g ram
Nvidia geForce 9800 GT
andthewicked

Postby lidl » Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

Does this work fine with Flightgear 3.0?
Thanks.
lidl

Postby f-ojac » Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 am

Quite an old experiment now, seems the latest tests weren't successfull. OSGEarth might be a better solution for the future, even if there still are a lot of things to improve to achieve a good result (in this experiment, we were missing the trees and water reflection, for instance).
f-ojac

Previous

Return to Scenery