Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects&models).

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects&mode

Postby f-ojac » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi all, some fixes went by, seems the tool(s) are quite stable now. They can still get better, but still, they are very useable this way.

I would like to thank Clément, Julien, Martin, for their help&support.

With those forms, remember you can:
- add a single object (if you only have one!!). Check here: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/index.php
- update an object (for instance, a lot of power pylons are in fact communication pylones). It's here: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... update.php
- delete an object (if it does not exist anymore in real life). It's here: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... delete.php
- do a mass object positions import (if you added a lot of objets in one place). It's here: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... import.php
- add 3D models you created to have them imported into FG scenery via Terrasync. It's here: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... /index.php They can be specific to a city (for instance : the Eiffel tower), or shared (a new windturbine model, for instance).

Please read carefully the various forewords on the site:
- all data imported has to comply with the GNU/GPL license ;
- you must use the elevation format used by Terrasync to give your objects/models elevation, or they could be floating/sunk for most of users.

Hope you like it. I hope to see a lot of scenes not yet available via Terrasync merge into scenemodels. Nothing is easier! (Remember that this is the strength of FG compared to other sims: everything can be in Terrasync and no need to download patches or sceneries here and there).
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby xiii » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Just a little question, will it be possible to update a 3D model or only its texture ?

For example, a certain model has a huge texture for a tiny building which is just nonsense. I want to replace the texture with a right sized one. Will it be possible ?

Alexis, Which plans to spend the next winter modelling building and land marks :-)
If the engines are Pratt and Whitney, the seats best be Martin Baker
xiii

Postby f-ojac » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi xiii,
Not for now, the urgency was to setup a framework to add, update, delete and mass import shared models to populate the scenery as well as automizing 3D model import because the human workload to insert each model manually for the whole world was just unbearable.
But the need for updates has been taken into account and is one of the next items on the to-do list.
So please start with adding shared objects and 3d models, I bet we will come up someday with an update tool.
Olivier
f-ojac

Postby f-ojac » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi,
Using the webforms (via the mapserver or directly on the scenery website), you can now update the geodata of a static model (Eiffel tower, Shanghai specific buildings), just like you are now used to do with shared objects (windturbines, etc...). So, if you wrongly placed a 3D model, you can now update its position automagically.
More to come a bit later.
Oliver
f-ojac

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am

Quick question - I've been doing a waterfall (more to come...), that doesn't have an *.ac file, it is just an xml with a particle system defined, so it doesn't go too well with the idea that the webform requires a *.ac - how do you want me to do that?
Thorsten

Postby f-ojac » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Thorsten,
Thanks for reporting, this item is on our todolist ( http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/TOBEDONE ) and has already been reported.
The webtools were primary made to import 3D AC models, and nearly 200 have been added with it by now, however, the possibility to add a single XML or XML+PNG, or multiple XML+PNG has to be written, as it has quite an impact on the current form.
For the moment I do not have a real clue on how to do this with the form, I/we will drop a text here or on the newsletter when this is fixed.
f-ojac

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes, but how do you want me to submit the waterfalls? By email, by tar package in the forum,...?
Thorsten

Postby f-ojac » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 pm

For the moment, you can pm me.
f-ojac

Postby penta » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 am

I've discovered a problem with a shared model I've updated early this year: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/modelview.php?id=747
The problem is in the .ac file that miss the reference to the png texture. Is there a way to update it through the web tools or there will be?

Thanks for any help.
penta

Version: Git

Postby f-ojac » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm

There will be. For the moment, please PM me.
f-ojac

Postby jarl.arntzen » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi, f-ojac!

I'm having trouble adding a single object position using the Automated Objects Submission Form
http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... /index.php

In step 3, I can not enter the e-mail address. Whenever I type any letter, it's immediately deleted. I've tested this in both Opera and FireFox on Win7.

Thanks!
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Gijs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome Jarl!

Oops, that was my fault. Should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting! ;-)

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby jarl.arntzen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for the swift reply! It seems to work ok again now but it's still a little unpredictable. :)

First I tried inserting a lighthouse with this description: "Small lighthouse, Odderøya, Kristiansand S, Norway". Only when I truncated the string to "Small lighthouse" did the submit-button actually work. So I'm guessing the field can not handle international letters?

Another thing: I suggest clarifying that negative elevation offset is below ground.
I suggest replacing this: "This is the offset (in meters) between your model 'zero' and the elevation at the considered place (ie if it is sunk into the ground). Let 0 if there is no offset."
with this: "This is the vertical offset (in meters) between your model 'zero' (usually the bottom) and the terrain elevation at the specified coordinates. Use negative numbers to sink it into the ground or 0 if there's no offset"

Thanks!
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

Postby VicMar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

jarl.arntzen said,
I tried inserting a lighthouse with this description: "Small lighthouse, Odderøya, Kristiansand S, Norway"
Not only are you correct in thinking the system does not recognise the international letters, but this model is already named.

It might be better if you tried to make an accurate model of the real lighthouse at that location. You could then name it properly apart from the letter 'ø' which the system cannot accept.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby jarl.arntzen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm

VicMar wrote in Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm:
It might be better if you tried to make an accurate model of the real lighthouse at that location. You could then name it properly apart from the letter 'ø' which the system cannot accept.

Let me clarify: I tried and succeeded in inserting an object position in the FG Scenery. I didn't upload an actual model but made use of the existing Models/Misc/generic-lighthouse.xml instead. Incidentally, this model is actually very close to [url=https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odderøya_fyr]how the real lighthouse looks[/url]. Since the generic lighthouse model is 50 meters high I should actually give it an elevation offset of -38 since it's 12 m high IRL. I'll go do that right now :)

Edit: When updating the object position and elevation offset, I discovered that the form can not be submitted if the required Comment field contains any commas. I suggest adding an error message that indicates this or clarify allowed characters in the tooltip on the left.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery