Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects&models).

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery webtools (adding, editing, deleting objects).

Postby f-ojac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Sure, you'll be one of the first to know. Stay tuned.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Harald » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi,

could your static import form accept a line of stg file (OBJECT_STATIC xxx uuu zz iii etc) instead of longitude, latitude, elevation, orientation (so that those four inputs are filled with the stg line if the stg line is provided) ?

HJ.
Harald

Version: nightly

Postby f-ojac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 pm

The import of static files and shared files have to be done separately.

For instance, with the mass import script I just finished (have to test it before going into prod), you'll only be able to add OBJECT_SHARED stuff.
If you want to add a new static object (ie add a OBJECT_STATIC to a STG file) you'll have to go through the static submission form I'm starting to work on now, and provite a LAT LONG, ELEV, etc... but not exactly under the form of a STG file, because the form is not exactly made that way.

The static objects have to go through a quite complex verification process to make sure every file meets the current requirements, this means test for the textures, the AC file, the thumbnail, the xml file, etc.
f-ojac

Postby f-ojac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi all,

As mentionned in my earlier post, and especially for FG's birthday, I'm happy to announce the production status of the massive shared objects positions import script.

Now, for the first time in flight simulators history, you just have to copy/paste new objects lines (STG format) directly in a webform to update scenery objects all over the world for all FG users using Terrasync. Add your email address to be informed of the progress of the update. Import should happen soon (let's say between 24 and 72 hours, but it depends on the poor scenery maintainers workload!).

The address ? http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submission/ then choose mass import.

Please note:
  1. You must only import new objects, not the whole STG file you're working on!
  2. Don't add models not present in the FG scenemodels database, nor (yet) OBJECT_SIGN nor OBJECT_STATIC.
  3. Don't add forest or other items linked to the landcover. Those items have to be generated based on the landcover, not on objects! The only trees accepted will be those located on airport boundaries, for example.
  4. The data you're asking for import should be based for elevation on the terrain shipped with FlightGear/Terrasync, and not on a terrain you could have downloaded or compiled yourself. Else, your objects could appear floating or sunk in the terrain...
  5. Finally, the import is limited to 100 lines per submission (let's think about the poor scenery maintainer(s)...)
  6. The import is quite sensitive about the data in entry, which goes through quite a lot of checkings, including humans, before insertion.
Finally, and because I receive many questions about it, the import script for 3D models is on its way, finished to approximately 90%. Be patient.

Hope you enjoy it,

Oliver
f-ojac

Postby Harald » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you Oliveier !

Just one question on stg import : can we mix the content of several .stg files here or do you have some check that verify that all objects are from the same tile ?

HJ.
Harald

Version: nightly

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 am

Harald,
The answer is yes.
For instance, you can mix the content of new objects positions added in LFGC, and new objects positions in southern Australia, put it in a single "STG" file, and copy/paste it, the generation of the STG files is done afterwards by Terrasync.
I'll update the warnings in the top of the page accordingly.
Oliver.
f-ojac

Postby VicMar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Olivier,

A number of my Montserrat models, which were placed in 'Shared" because I couldn't place them without using Google Earth for the lat/longs, appear to have gone to the top of the models update sheet. I assume this is because someone has placed them.

A short time ago someone was talking on the forum about doing some Montserrat modelling and I told him my models were available.

However, 2 days after the entry in the update list they do not appear at Montserrat.

Is there a way I can find out where they have been placed? or is there another reason for them being jumped to the top of my models list?

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 am

Hi Vic,
VicMar wrote in Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:11 am:A number of my Montserrat models, which were placed in 'Shared" because I couldn't place them without using Google Earth for the lat/longs, appear to have gone to the top of the models update sheet. I assume this is because someone has placed them.

To be precise, I think they were in Martin's latest backlog. So looks like they have been inserted ( http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/model ... p?shared=2 ) and then used.
VicMar wrote in Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:11 am:However, 2 days after the entry in the update list they do not appear at Montserrat.
Is there a way I can find out where they have been placed? or is there another reason for them being jumped to the top of my models list?

You can go here : http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objects.php, and filter by the model name, then you'll know where they are used (hint: it's near Berlin).
They are also shipped with Git.
So, for them to appear in Montserrat, one just has to use the mass import script to place them. Don't think this has already been done, has it?
f-ojac

Postby VicMar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 pm

I think they were in Martin's latest backlog.
No, they were already accepted into the Shared models last year. I think someone must have used them via the input script.

You can go here : http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objects.php, and filter by the model name
AHA! No wonder I couldn't find them on Montserrat, they have been placed in the USA. Mystery solved.

While I am here, are the models I have already sent to the database but not yet entered likely to be entered, or will I have to place them when the 'Static' script is ready?

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby f-ojac » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Vicmar, Scighera, and others.

I'm happy to inform you that, today, I managed to follow the full process of submitting a 3D model from the user submission form until its effective writing into test tables and real dynamic display into web pages. Those who are impatient can go at the end of the post.

What is currently effective:
- Only AC3D files, with 1 texture for now.
- Lots of control on the PHP and Javascript sides, amongst which:
* lat, long, elevation, offset 'usual' checks;
* check all files were received and correctly received ;
* check sizes submitted ;
* XML, AC and thumbnails must share the same name, textures have a corresponding number ;
* extensions, mime-type, header checks (for XML, will check <xml version ="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">, will see if the name of the AC3D and the name declared in the XML match) ;
* checks AC3D content for texture names, see if it matches with the png files submitted ;
* textures must be a power of 2 ;
* thumbnail must be 320*240 ;
* etc.
- concurrent access OK (random temporary directory names, etc.)
- files are targzed
- Email process for user & maintainer, maintainer can leave a comment before submitting or rejecting
- Visualisation page for maintainer including author (not yet contributor), email, family, proposed name for the 3D model (it's the XML name for now), Full Name (description), Notes, lat, long, map, elevation, offset, DB orientation, thumbnail, possibility to download as .tar.gz, 3D visualisation tool (not completely finished), XML file parsing, one texture view.

What is not yet done:
- multiple textures input (only one texture file can be viewed now),
- AC3D visualisation for the 3D model submitted (for the moment, it's a boat, but it's the next step),
- captcha (I let it off for testing).

The overall project size is 1761 lines of code and comments!

What I'm planning to do for now:

- ask you, and some willing users, to test the script with AC3D models containing 1 PNG texture ;
- see if there are any bugs/comments, etc ;
- fix the small to-do list I have left (multiple PNGs, ...).

PS: for testing purposes, please use:
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/submi ... /index.php to add 3D models (shared/static)
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/stats_oj.php to see if the model was inserted
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/model ... hp?id=2432 to check a model with a fgsoj mo_id
- http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/objec ... id=3288839 to check objects with a fgsoj ob_id

I hope you like it.
f-ojac

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Olivier,

I just made an attempt to input a model which only has 1 texture. The first time I tried, I hadn't named the .jpg with 'Thumbprint', so I expected it to fail. It did.

I went back and deleted the wrongly named file, then tried to submit it again, but got the same result.
I'm pretty sure the input is correct. See pic:

Any idea what went wrong?

I am wondering if just deleting the wrongly named file is not enough, and I should have started again from the start with an empty form.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby f-ojac » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Not in front of my computer now. You have to add an XML file and a small comment, please try again with those please. Also,don't add Texture after the png name, just a number. Will try to be more precise in the web page headers or error messages.
f-ojac

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:20 pm

That model does not need a .xml file. Surely we don't have to make a dummy one. If so, I wouldn't know what to put in it.

Is the word Texture, or Text not acceptable in the script? I nearly always name my home made textures Name_Text.png

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 pm

OK, I have made a dummy .xml file, and removed 'Texture' from the .png file name.

I am still getting 1 fatal error:
Here is the input:

Still something it won't accept?

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Gijs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Probably the capital T in _Thumbnail. At least that gives me that same (no) error ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery