Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery building server - anyone interested?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery building server - anyone interested?

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:52 am

Once that is working, I can provide a pre-created ISO image based on TurnKeyLinux/Debian Wheezy with everything included.

So your trying to make this for anyone to "install" on their own web server?

I just downloaded the gui and ran it from my server.

So this front end is running on my web server and it is using your VM somewhere to do the data processing?

Nice job. It feels really smooth and easy to use. It ran without incidence all the way to "Compute Shapefile" I believe it was (where you left off).

Oh, and by the way this was on a WIndows Apache/Tomcat server.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:01 am

Don't know if you want this kind of input at this point but uploading elevation SRTM-1 shows on server and saves to SRTM-3, maybe doesn't matter.

They are all pretty basic command (create a directory, install some packages, execute a script...)

Some distros will install Apache through Synaptic and/or their own app package installer. My opinion, I think the web GUI is the way to go. It's clean and fits the situation to a tee. No need to mess with the Binary GUI.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 pm

lol, does that mean that you were able to download, install and run the whole thing and it actually seemed to work ?
I don't think that's even supposed to work - F-JJTH just provided the script so that we can have a look and gather some potential contributors.

The script is already installed and set up using a non-disclosed URL for the time being, until we have sufficiently powerful hosting available.
F-JJTH is currently trying to get that arranged with the scenery DB folks.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Not exactly. Yes it ran and I was able to go through each step, but it didn't do anything. Maybe only because I didn't set the globals and point the code at my tool chain. I didn't study it long enough to try to duplicate the backend. I looked at it enough to see all the internal paths were linux based. But I did stumble on to his undisclosed "working" site. Sorry about that, I don't even remember how or why I got there. But that is where I saw the Elevation step saving SRTM-1 to SRTM-3 when I went through it.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:42 pm

ok, thanks for clarifying - that makes sense.
So would you be interested in using this, or possibly even contributing to the script ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby f-ojac » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:32 pm

That reminds me of: http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/TOBEDONE (last line) and https://www.gitorious.org/fg/sceneryweb ... c5f7abc0b9
We'll definitely have to be very careful about the resources we may be using and of the possible concurrent accesses.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:39 pm

So would you be interested in using this, or possibly even contributing to the script ?

Yes to both. I like the idea as long as it is concurrent with stand alone tools. I really like the idea as a packaged ISO that has everything included that is needed to run it on ones own server, if they are so inclined. I also think the web GUI is really nice and a great start.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Yes to both. I like the idea as long as it is concurrent with stand alone tools. I really like the idea as a packaged ISO that has everything included that is needed to run it on ones own server,

We probably need to get the current prototype committed to a repository and come up with packages for Linux. And then we can hand this over to the community.
Obviously, people should be familiar with TerraGear and php/html - but otherwise, the code looks fairly straightforward actually.

We'll definitely have to be very careful about the resources we may be using and of the possible concurrent accesses.

psadro_gm also mentioned previously, that there are some hard-coded restrictions in place that may conflict with the TG toolchain being used "concurrently" (mostly mutex/locking stuff).

Until those issues are fixed/addressed, it may be better to use cron to schedule jobs sequentially.
However, F-JJTH said that he's only exposing parts of the TG toolchain for now - so this may not even be an issue :?:

I think we need to find some good/powerful hosting and play with this a bit, to gather some community feedback.

Now that we have a prototype, it should be fairly easy to find people interested in using this, but also interested in contributing.
And F-JJTH mentioned that he's considering to get in touch with the scenemodels folks to get this hosted.

readonly file access should be a no-brainer actually.
But output should probably use temporary directories...
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:11 pm

But output should probably use temporary directories

When I ran on the "unpublished server" I was wondering where the working files were being stored. Yes, temporary directories seems to be the right answer.

When/if we get to the point of an ISO package. I'd be willing to look at a Windows port, assuming there is a stable MSVC tool chain available. I don't think I'd want to touch it until the Linux version is complete though.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:10 pm

An ISO/VM image would probably simply include a pre-packaged Linux environment, with TerraGear/the Web GUI being pre-installed and pre-configured
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:20 am

Right, I guess that wouldn't work the same way on a Windows box.
But you could offer a zipped package with the Web GUI and Terragear all ready to go with instructions as to how to put it on a working Win/Apache system. Maybe to much extra trouble.
Once the Web GUI was modified to work on Windows env., It really wouldn't be much to zip it up, the TG tool chain and some instruction all ready to go. I did that with the Binary GUI and a working TG tool chain with its depends and it was really simple for the user to grab it, install it and use it without having to go get it off Jenkins and move all the depends together and what not. In fact I have a link still available with the last known working Win build.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

actually, the point is once everything runs inside the VM, you'd just open "internet explorer" on Windows and navigate to the VM's IP address - and you'd access the proper TerraGear setup automatically
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Got it!
Guess I'm a little slow on the uptake.
wlbragg

Postby F-JJTH » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 pm

For information the "Airport generator on Web" has been submitted to Martin (the one who decide which project has to be hosted or not on the server)
Let's see what happen now

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:14 pm

thanks for the heads-up - if it should be rejected send me a note so that I can look for hosting - as an open source project, it should be straightforward to get some hosting donated, IIRC, even the wiki hosting is donated - we may just have to send out a few requests, or even just add a "call for hosting" to the newsletter.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to Scenery