Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

The Austria Scenery Project

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: The Austria Scenery Project

Postby f-ojac » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Given the name of the thread...

But WED is pretty easy to use, isn't it. And LILO has a very easy layout.

LILO seems to exist: http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... TTFFTTTFFF but misplaced compared to OSM + satellite data.

Hope the next you ask for is GRUB...
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Figaro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:18 pm

BRT, can you not read; this the AUSTRIA scenery project. ^.-

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby BRT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I can read!

i was just suggesting a project for someone

:D
BRT

Postby Tuxklok » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:53 am

Oliver (ot-666) has finished a great new 8.50 layout for LOWZ. Looks great and is really nice to finally see this airport as it should be. :)

Before - default layout and scenery

After - new layout and scenery

thanks Oliver!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Figaro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:45 pm

BRT wrote in Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 pm:I can read!

i was just suggesting a project for someone

:D

a) This really isn't the place to bring it up, try to stay on topic.

b) Surely your kidding? Don't just suggest, suggest, suggest, it's a sure fire way to be ignored in this community. Want acceptance, get off your butt and do it yourself.

c) AMAZING work Tuxklok! I needn't say more.

Cheers,
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby BRT » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:22 pm

:(
BRT

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 pm

No update in a while...been very hectic on my end so not a lot of time to get much done.

I've created a git repo to hold the work in progress scenery. It contains all of Austria with the new land cover based on the Corine datasets, but currently is just the terrain and some updated airport layouts. There are no roads or objects at this time..but is still nice flying through the alps for those interested.

https://gitorious.org/the-austria-scene ... sp-scenery

cheers

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Postby ot-666 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Fantastic :D The Alps look great!
I noticed that LOWW is still a old layout... did you use all available 8.5 layouts?
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Postby Tuxklok » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

ot-666 wrote in Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 pm:I noticed that LOWW is still a old layout... did you use all available 8.5 layouts?

Most airports were generated from 8.10 layouts, currently just those were redone are from 8.50 layouts.

Tuxklok

Postby digriz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Holy moly! Awesome work! :D
When roads, rails and rivers will be added, this scenery will become absolutely perfect!
Thanks a lot for this great preview! :P

digriz
digriz

Postby litzi » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Is anybody still working on Austrian scenery, specifically on LOWW airport? I haven't found any useful (custom) detailed scenery for LOWW and have recently started to 3D model the major airport buildings from openstreetmap building footprints. I plan to go forward to enrich these with detailed objects and texture the buildings with own photographs, if nobody else is working on the same things..?
litzi

Version: 2018.3.1

Postby oracle » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 pm

litzi wrote in Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm:Is anybody still working on Austrian scenery, specifically on LOWW airport? I haven't found any useful (custom) detailed scenery for LOWW and have recently started to 3D model the major airport buildings from openstreetmap building footprints. I plan to go forward to enrich these with detailed objects and texture the buildings with own photographs, if nobody else is working on the same things..?

I can't consider myself a contributor because I haven't contributed anything but I've downloaded 1GB of Vienna area imagery (Schwechat in the middle) from Sentinel-2 and trying to prepare it for use in FG. It could take me weeks or months because I just started learning and I'm only at the stage of discovering how much I don't know. And I can only work on this in the evening / night.
I don't know what to do with these geo-coded TIFFs, how to stitch and split them (the tiles in FG are not the same as the tiles in Sentinel Mosaic Hub app), no clue how to convert them to DDS (is it even possible?). Banging my head against the wall basically, but if I succeed, we could combine real world photography with 3 modeling and make a beautiful airport - completely legal to share with the community.

In addition to my not-so-good image collection, there is also this article: Visually appealing mosaics for Austria, Germany, and Slovenia now available through WMS. Images have the same resolution but appear much cleaner and with more natural colours because of better pixel compositing algorithm (or so would the Germans have us believe).
oracle

Postby litzi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:31 am

Sounds good! I personally like to concentrate on building and objects (aircraft & vehicles on apron) and I am not into sat-imagery. We could team up for a high quality LOWW model with 3d buildings and sat-photo scenery, if you like.

I've setup a workflow with qgis and Nasal scripts to automatize object placement and 3d building generation (something like a "mini" - osm2city) and I could put the "sources" for it on a Git repo for joint development work..
litzi

Version: 2018.3.1

Postby benih » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:36 am

I don't know what to do with these geo-coded TIFFs, how to stitch and split them

GDAL tools should do that job
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby oracle » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:09 pm

benih wrote in Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:36 am:
I don't know what to do with these geo-coded TIFFs, how to stitch and split them

GDAL tools should do that job

It keeps getting more and more complicated.
The GDAL toolkit doesn't even have front end. I installed this thing instead: SNAP.
So far it doesn't work as it says in the manual. Every folder with TIFFs has a json metadata file and SNAP is supposed to read the json but it doesn't.
oracle

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery