Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Free open source 3D models

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Free open source 3D models

Postby wlbragg » Fri May 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Wow, what a goldmine.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby bugman » Sat May 27, 2017 9:47 am

The first point of the Cadnav copyright notice is:

1. All of the informations on this site, and indicate "the source cadnav.com " all writing, the picture, the copyright is cadnav.com all, any media, websites or quote from this website content, must be marked" from ( or source ) cadnav.com", indicating the URL http://www.cadnav.com

This sounds like an advertising clause, which is unfortunately incompatible with the GPL. There is a contact email address though, so they could be asked directly if the content can be used in a GPL project (i.e. without the advertising clause).

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby erik » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

This is the copyright file that comes with every 3d model:
This file download from the CadNav

50000+ Free 3D Models & CAD Models download http://www.cadnav.com

High quality 3D Models Library, online 3D Models resource for CGI graphic designers and CAD/CAM/CAE engineers, daily updates will be posted on our site. (http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/)

You can download polygonal mesh 3D Models, 3D CAD Solid Object, Textures, Vray material, 3D works, CAD drawings,etc.

All of them in our website are FREE download.

INFO: Please read and comply with the following terms and conditions before using, otherwise please don't use this model!

1. We doesn't accept any claims regarding quality of 3D model or any standards conformity.
2. We will not participate in any technology or copyright issues.
3. This file (models or textures) may be used in any commercial way only as a part of artwork or project. Single reselling or redistribution of this model is prohibited.
4. This file (models or textures) may be freely modificated or elaborated.
5. If you use this file (models or textures) in your project or website, please indicate the source from cadnav.com

Thank you for reading this file.

If you wanna rerelease the file in another website, please keep this info file included, thank you.

Share rose get fun, please share it with your friend.

ENJOY!

This does not sound much different from the BSD license to me which indicates:
3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement:
This product includes software developed by the <organization>.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby erik » Sat May 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok I did send an email with the request to reconsider this particular requirement, and explained why I made that request. Hopefully they agree and this will be solved for good.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Johan G » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Hmm. All those models and no individual bylines smells a bit fishy to me... ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby erik » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 am

I've tried several different way to find out if the site is trustworthy or not before posting the link. And I could not find a single clue that it isn't. If you have anything besides a hunch that would be useful.

Erik
erik

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm

3. This model may be used in any commercial way only as a part of artwork or project. Single reselling or redistribution of this model is prohibited.

Any idea what effect this clause has on the GPL as we use it?
What I mean is if we use something like this in FG, how do you pass on the information that it has a restriction on single use?
Would you simply copy the statement and include it in your distribution?
Doesn't that restriction somehow mess with the GPL policy?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby erik » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:43 pm

It only means you can not download a model and try to resell it as it is (or repackage it contents ant sell it as it is).
Just put the README file in the Models directory so anyone knows that the license is of the model.

wlbragg wrote in Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm:Doesn't that restriction somehow mess with the GPL policy?

No since you simply do not ship the 3d model as GPL but using the less restrictive license. Everything else is still GPL.

Erik
erik

Previous

Return to Scenery