Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

EGYJ Airport In wrong Place

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: EGYJ Airport In wrong Place

Postby pb321 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm

oly2b, Just one change that will make things better. You should avoid putting the generated files into your main FlightGear directory. Instead, you can set up a separate directory on any drive you choose, such as K:\MyCustomSceneryFiles\Terrain\w030n60\w021n63, then add that directory in the launcher under Add-ons, Additional Scenery Folders. By doing this, it keeps your custom files separate from FlightGear's application files, so less chance of goofing something up.

Regarding the discussion about elevation, yes, the Web Airport Generator runs the Genapts part of TerraGear, so the airports generated should be at approximately the correct elevation. However, it doesn't run the later stages of TerraGear, where the surrounding land classes are calculated to conform to much smaller changes in elevation, sort of "fine-tuning" the land elevation. This is why some parts of the airport may end up being underground. I'm oversimplifying, but hopefully it explains it a little more.

Good to hear you've had some success!

P.S. I assume you posted the wrong path since RAF Rufforth Airport is at coordinates Latitude: 53-56-53.844N (53.94829) Longitude: 001-11-08.07W (-1.185575), according to Airnav.com. If true, the file would not be placed correctly if in w030n60\w021n63. A quick check against the FlightGear Scenemodels Map (https://scenery.flightgear.org/static/map/index.html) shows it would be in tile 2925563 and (I think) in w010n50\w002n53 instead.

Also, I didn't mention that once you've downloaded the latest recommended file from the X-Plane Scenery Gateway, you need to run it through the World Editor (Wed) process to debug it, validate it, and export it without certain features that the Web Airport Generator doesn't use, such as Exclusion Zones, Objects, Facades, Forests and some types of Draped Polygons (I usually stick with just "asphalt" and "concrete"). The remaining Draped Polygons must be converted to Taxiways using World Editor. Then the Export Target can be set to 10.5 or less and the Export to Apt.dat can be done. Finally, the resulting apt.dat can be run using the Web Airport Generator and the result of that (EGYJ.btg.gz) can be placed in the correct directory.

I have tried the process and found an issue which I'm trying to resolve now. I'll get back to this forum once that is done and possibly send you a link to the file.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby pb321 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:38 am

oly2b, did you get FlightGear to run successfully with the newly generated airport. I can't seem to do it. I may be forgetting something here, though. I have generated new airports with Wed, then the Web Airport Generator, but the resulting EGYJ.btg.gz file always results in getting stuck forever at "loading scenery". Running the debug log shows many of the following messages with increasing numbers at the beginning of each line:
Code: Select all
 2198.16 [DBUG]:environment FGEnvironmentMgr::update: updating closest airport
 2198.16 [DBUG]:environment no tower for airport-id=EGYJ
 2198.16 [DBUG]:environment Tower altitude adjusted because it was at below minimum height above ground (6feet) for airport EGYJ
 2198.16 [DBUG]:environment NoaaMetarRealWxController::update(): (re) checking nearby airport with METAR
 2198.16 [DBUG]:environment NoaaMetarRealWxController::update(): nearest airport with METAR is: EGXU
 2198.16 [DBUG]:terrain    FGStgTerrain::scenery_available - false
 2198.16 [DBUG]:atc        Currently at leg : 3
 2198.22 [DBUG]:terrain    FGStgTerrain::scenery_available - false
 2198.22 [DBUG]:atc        Currently at leg : 3
 2198.28 [DBUG]:terrain    FGStgTerrain::scenery_available - false

I am running a fairly recent version of 2020.4.0. I have never seen this particular issue.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this problem?
pb321

Postby dom_vc10 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:59 am

What have you copied into your custom folder?

As far as I have seen you will need to copy the original w002n53 folder with all contents then you can remove the old btg and add your newly generated one.
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Postby merspieler » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:14 am

Seems like a regression on next...

I have the same issue if I try to start with the EDDM file which was working half a year ago. (Even tho without elevation)
Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all! Love is the answer.

If everything is going against you, keep in mind that airplanes take off against the wind, not with it.

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Callsign: JST935. ORI1711
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby pb321 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:00 am

Had copied all files as @dom_vc10 describes. Interesting what @merspieler says...certainly can't rule it out. I've used the Web Airport Generator and the full TerraGear many times before and have never seen this exact behavior before.
pb321

Postby oly2b » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:30 am

I have used the XPlane apt.dat and TGWeb to generate a .btg.gz for a simple moorland airstrip (test the method) but after creating a custom scenery folder for the new airstrip I am not seeing any runways, please could explain what I need to get something visible and where these files need to go.

Below is a OneDrive shared folder of the files and structure I have so far used.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmRcwtiRJxd9xTMqdzW ... b?e=BiUTyI
oly2b

Callsign: G-OLYB
Version: 2020.1

Postby pb321 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:03 pm

I have downloaded your files and have the following, initial comments:

I believe you've placed the files in the correct lat/long bucket. However, my EGYJ.btg.gz is 93KB, not 8 KB like XEG0034.btg.gz, so I'm thinking you might not be getting all you can from the Wed file. What attributes have you selected for export? You may find the section "Processing Airports" in this tutorial helpful: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35618.

Your scenery, including orthophotos, is for tile 2925522. According to the FlightGear Scenemodels Map https://scenery.flightgear.org/static/map/index.html, EGYJ (Ruffort) is near York in tile 2925563.

It seems you've used your own naming convention to get "XEG0034.btg.gz" instead of one that conforms to the norm "EGYJ.btg.gz"? I would export a file from WED named "EGYJ.dat", then select that file in the Web Airport Generator. When done with the Web Airport Generator, the result is a zip "aptgen_##############.zip" with EGYJ.btg.gz inside. This is the file you want and it conforms to the naming convention used in FlightGear.

I would suggest that you download a new orthophoto of tile 2925563, place it, then give it a try and determine whether you see the airport orthophoto. If that works, you're on the right track. Next, go through the tutorial noted above and see if you get an EGYJ.btg.gz with a larger size than 8KB. In other words, take it a little at a time.

If I understood @merspieler correctly, he has experienced the same issue I'm seeing with 2020.4.0. I am going to try the files I've generated on a different computer with an older version of FlightGear on it.
Last edited by pb321 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:34 pm

I have been researching EGYJ some, and found out that in MSFS 2020 you are placed on a grass airstrip. Looking at this link https://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Rufforth , the airports status is somewhat unknown. Do you know if the airport has grass, concrete or asphalt runways and if it is still in operation? Is it a private airport now? Is it used for gliding or GA aircraft? Or is only a single runway 18/36 now in use?

Update: Tried in 2019.2.0 with the same results, so the "stuck on loading scenery" issue is not unique to 2020.4.0. I may try running the TerraGear genapts to see if that might lead to a solution.
pb321

Postby merspieler » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:39 am

If you want to cross check with my file for EDDM: https://seafile.merspieler.tk/f/d1da3ac ... a785/?dl=1
Lives under e010n40/e011n48
Stg file: 3138195.stg
Created 2021-06-25
Certainly working back then...

So... if I enable WS3 FG actually loads, I'm beneath the terrain, as I remember it, but no airport in sight.
In wireframe mode I don't see anything either.

Could it have something to do with features? The EDDM.btg has "new" features like Blue and Orange taxi lines.
Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all! Love is the answer.

If everything is going against you, keep in mind that airplanes take off against the wind, not with it.

merspieler

Postby oly2b » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am

Sorry I have confused everybody, the shared folder from the other day is for a simple grass airstrip near where I live (Oxenhope Airstrip, UK), in XP it is called XEG0034, 4XOX in FSX and listed as EG3M in GA guides to airfields.
I generated the runways in WED from scratch and started to places some models to aid flying in FG which works for a few days.
I shared this new airfield as it does not come with FG as standard and thought it may be simpler to get working before sorting EGYJ which as a runway in the wrong place (original FG)

I encounter a new problem yesterday the terrain for this area tile 292552 looks to be missing, I am seeing the photoscenery but no objects or OSM but further away the OSM do appear. The terrain in scenery and terrasyn directories appear to be still there. I tried removing the custom scenery folder and still have the same issue.

Anyway this the link to the Rufforth (EGYJ) custom folder
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmRcwtiRJxd9xXqHvvP ... B?e=AIxOz5
oly2b

Postby pb321 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:18 am

Ah, ok! I hope to take another look in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, if anyone has an idea as to what is wrong, please don't wait for me.
pb321

Postby oly2b » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Sorted why tile 292552 was not displaying now corrected my objects/osm now visable.
oly2b

Postby pb321 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:31 pm

A quick update:
  • I would recommend you change the Oxenthorpe X-Plane file from XEG0034.dat to EG3M.dat, then re-run. The format FlightGear needs is ICAO.btg.gz. I"ve tried some airports with this X-Plane naming convention, but they don't seem to work.
  • I have been able to view the orthophotos as well.
  • I generated EGYJ using Genapts directly from TerraGear with the same results. I still get stuck on "Loading Scenery".
Glad you've made some more progress.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm

I downloaded another X-Plane Scenery Gateway airport, exported the apt.dat and successfully generated it using the Web Airport Generator. It worked fine in FlightGear. However, whenever I try EGYJ it does not work, getting stuck on Loading Scenery. So I'm guessing something in the X-Plane file or the exported file is causing a problem.
pb321

Postby merspieler » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:22 pm

hm... how about checking the apt spec and remove feature by feature starting with the newer ones and see which feature causes this?

merspieler

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery