Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Where can I get ws 3.0 secenery download?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Where can I get ws 3.0 secenery download?

Postby Tufter » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:26 pm

I was wondering how I can use ws 3.0. I have the nightly build but when I click the option is the rendering settings, I only get the airport and osm buildings. Where can I download ws 3.0 scenery?
I was setting myself up to ungraciously dismantle this perfectly good little airplane and then off in the distance I heard a voice.
And I think it was that of my flight instructor saying: "You can always go around"
Tufter

Callsign: C-FTUF
Version: 2020.4

Re: Where can I get ws 3.0 secenery download?

Postby merspieler » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Scotland can be downloaded here
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:57 pm

plus you have to enable Virtual Planet Builder: --prop:/scenery/use-vpb=true
and maybe one other item that i don't recall off the top of my head...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 am

AFAIK --prop:/scenery/use-vpb=true corresponds to the WS3 checkbox in the Rendering dialog.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby vnts » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:42 am

Tufter wrote in Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:26 pm:I have the nightly build [..]

The nightly build is the last successfully built FG - it's from Nov 22nd. It's missing the latest work by Stuart, and the latest set of GPU rendering changes I did are waiting for the next nightly build before being tested and merged. So check back in a while to see if the date next to the nightly build at download.flightgear.org has changed.

As you want to test, I recommend changing a number in a line in data/Shaders/ws30-ALS-landclass-search-functions.frag: "enable_large_scale_transition_search = 0;" to "enable_large_scale_transition_search = 1;".

In-sim menu > adjust LoD ranges > has settings for the size of line features (like roads) and area features (like water) at different LoD levels. A smaller size is visually better - meaning smaller roads and lakes will be visible at a certain LoD level.

WS30 is a complete construction site at the moment - it's in the middle of being ported/connected to the materials system inputs, so a lot of things have no inputs or placeholder ones causing things like textures will switch around as the camera moves and tiles change LoD. And the available shaders on the old nightlies are comparable to the absolute lowest ALS settings with 1 texture lookup per point - with some haze on top (also some math texturing). The textures are probably coming from fallback global material definitions or somewhere (I tried changing it to the Norway regional definitions and it didn't work).

Water uses a different technology to terrain, and is even more WiP at the moment.

If you can download 31 GB in one file, you can try the photoscenery which is also 1 texture lookup with the same issues in math/haze inputs, but has coordinates that don't change - it won't look as nice as the same photoscenery on WS2 which is added to by ALS (and maybe has sharper mountains), but will use less VRAM on your GPU.

Kind regards
vnts

Return to Scenery