Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

UFO saving placements

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

UFO saving placements

Postby dom_vc10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 pm

So after losing all the work from my first ever attempt using the UFO to place objects I have a couple of questions.

To save the work do I need to run FG from the terminal then copy the data into the stg file in FG root?
Is it possible to save my changes in a custom folder with my custom models? ( I wonder if terrasync will overwrite changes if not)

Thanks
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Re: UFO saving placements

Postby merspieler » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm

If you hit the `d` key, it will not only print the lines to the terminal but also copy it to the clipboard so you can past it from there.

For custom scenery, add it to a directory of choice, outside of terrasync or the FG stuff, and add that in the launcher as additional scenery.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby dom_vc10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:33 pm

ah great. I will use the D key to get the info.
I already have my models in a custom folder. I need to find out how I should save the stg file and where I guess.

One extra question that popped up is my model sits on some OSM scenery looking at the forum I see it's not possible to remove any OSM buildings, I presume that's still the case.
dom_vc10

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm

IIRC, it also creates an XML text file (in the Export directory?) with the data... so all three at the same time... clipboard, terminal, and file...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dom_vc10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 pm

wonderful.
Is the only way to keep it by saving the updates in the stg in FG root or I can have my own custom stg file in my own folder?

I see I need to create an Objects folder with my models (ac files) then the custom stg can go in that folder. Have I got that correct? :?:
dom_vc10

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:32 pm

terrain goes in Terrain and objects go in Objects, yes...

for example, say you are working on e010n78... your custom tree would look something like this...
Code: Select all
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Terrain
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Terrain/e010n70
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Terrain/e010n70/e010n78
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Terrain/e010n70/e010n78/*.btg.gz
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Terrain/e010n70/e010n78/*.stg
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Objects
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Objects/e010n70
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Objects/e010n70/e010n78
/home/myuser/myFGScenery/my_e010n78/Objects/e010n70/e010n78/*.stg

you might also have .ac and texture png/jpg files in there... if you are only adding objects, you will need to start with a copy of the original Terrain and Objects and then add your stuff... when FG scans the directories, it stops with the first one and looks for everything in that tile in that tree... so if you only have Objects/e010n70/e010n78/your.stg then that's all that will show up and nothing from the normal load... yes, this does mean there are duplicated files but this is the way that FG works... it does not combine stuff across different directory trees... this is why custom scenery has to be listed higher in the scenery directory list than terrasync...

i think i explained that correctly...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dom_vc10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Thanks a lot. Your explanation is clear for me.

Also thanks to merspieler.

Time to get creative :D
dom_vc10

Postby merspieler » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:16 pm

dom_vc10 wrote in Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:33 pm:One extra question that popped up is my model sits on some OSM scenery looking at the forum I see it's not possible to remove any OSM buildings, I presume that's still the case.

Locally you could edit the osm2city files... the right way is to push your models to the scenery database. Once it's in there the tile it's on gets automatically flagged for rebuild and the rebuild then fixes the issue.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby dom_vc10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 pm

They are not my models unfortunately. I converted some airport models from an xplane scenery so I have no permission to share at this time. I will be contacting the authors of them though to see if they are willing, the readme suggests they are open to such things.
dom_vc10

Postby dom_vc10 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:59 pm

I am getting quite far.

Automated batch conversion from xplane obj to ac - Done
Extract xplane DSF file to get object coordinates - Done (co-ords are fine but found headings are out but figured out how to adjust them for FG)
Convert textures - Done
Create STG and custom folder - Done

So now I have managed to convert one scenery (objects only). This is good. I have two last things to figure out....

- Get correct elevation data for each model - Need to figure out fgelev script to try and do this
- Edit OSM data to remove the OSM buildings that conflict with the custom scenery..

So I need to ask for a bit of advice on the second open point. How can I remove the OSM buildings that are in conflict? My guess right now as I have not had the chance to test yet is. I need to get the STG file in the buildings folder and adjust this. Do I just delete lines for the conflict buildings or I need to add something?
dom_vc10

Return to Scenery