Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: brazilian terrain data from IBGE

Postby lomar » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:16 pm

hi,
i'm having a problem with a shapefile that is refusing to be loaded by tg-construct. i don't know how to fix it. all the other shp are working fine, what should i do to solve this situation?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby AzulProfundo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:40 am

Hi Iomar,

I am also having difficulties with tg-construct for my scenery of the Azores. But for me, I don't have any clues about the shapefile giving the problem. Have you used the GUI tool and got a log file? Or just the command line?
For the shapefiles, it is useful to check them via QGIS, because it can detect problems with the geometries or the coordinate system. It is possible that the particular shapefile must be edited.

Version: 2020.3.8

Postby lomar » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:15 pm

i tested them one by one until i found the problematic one

btw, it was not a problem of the shp, ut rather tg-construct refusing to work with the assigned material even tough it was on the default priotities
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire preceding post.
lomar

Postby lomar » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:21 am

So, i tought i would be able to release my first scenery package last week, but some problems delayed it. But i'm very advanced in it and might finish it in the next couple of days, so let me teas you a litlle bit:

the new SBGL layout

SDTK

SDAG

SILI

i also found this small airfield with some peculiar marking system

but not everything is perfect. i found a nasty glitch.
i've seen something similar before in the forum, and i think it may be related to the elevation model, so i dont know if there is much i can do to fix it

so, hope you like it. and if somebody knows how to fix the glitch, any help would be muchh appreciated
lomar

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:21 pm

lomar wrote in Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:21 am:but not everything is perfect. i found a nasty glitch.

this appears to be one of those seam problems when surrounding tiles are not processed at the same time... AFAIK, the fix is to process all the tiles at once so the data from neighbor tiles' edges can be used with the current tile's edges...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AzulProfundo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:19 pm

I agree with the hypothesis from wkitty42.

For the Azores, I have done so for SRTM-1 data. Unfortunately, due to tg-construct problems, I can not confirm the results in the scenery (yet).

The original hgt files were sufficiently pre-processed and should not have any major height errors now. But you can still check them out with QGIS, simply loading the file were the error occurs and see if there are any outliers in the elevation values. BTW, I should do such a test also for the Azores... :wink:

Postby lomar » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 pm

i dont thin this is the case. it does appear between the tiles, but the ones i showed in my last post were generated together. it is peculiar also that it seems to appear only in a single material (forest)
lomar

Postby lomar » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:23 am

so, i found the problem. it had to do with the forest shapefile.
Long story short, i had a problem with the source for it, so as it is in the bottom of the priorities, i decided to use the landmass layer instead. Problem is, when you download it from osmdownloads, it comes divided as 1x1 squares, and the edges of these squares were glitching. dissolving them on QGIS solved the issue.

bad news is, now i will have to redo everything i had done before, may take me another day or two
lomar

Postby AzulProfundo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Good problem solving, although I am a bit confusing at how the 2D problems in the polygons resulted in a problem in the mesh. But the engine in tg-construct should be doing some draping over the polys and lines; there should lie the problem.

Wonderful that you sorted out the issues, so we can expect this scenery soon. :D

In order to prepare for the install, what is exactly the area covered by your scenery? Judging from the screens, it covers the Rio and littoral up to São Paulo state... :?:

I am also in the process of problem solving, and hope to have the Azores scenery in a short term.

Postby lomar » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 pm

this is the area that will be in the package. the part east of Rio was not generated yet, and i think the coast and the lakes there will be the cherry on top of this scenery, even more than the city itself and the coast to the south and west, that are already amazing.
lomar

Postby lomar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:13 am

quick update.

scenery generation is ready and i'm now in process of packaging and uploading to create a download link. will crate a new thread for the releases and leav this one for the dev updates and questions about glitches and issues on future packages or updates.
lomar

Postby lomar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:12 am

lomar wrote in Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:13 am:quick update.

scenery generation is ready and i'm now in process of packaging and uploading to create a download link. will crate a new thread for the releases and leav this one for the dev updates and questions about glitches and issues on future packages or updates.

new thread: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39345&p=388037#p388037
lomar

Postby lomar » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:17 pm

Hello,
Quick update: for the past years, I've been been busy with college, and now even more with my final paper. this has unfortunately made my progress on FG development very slow. i had other development projects in mind that i also could not start yet.
I will conclude the Rio de Janeiro scenery slowly in the next weeks, but i don't know if doing another entire state right now is worthy, because we may be approaching the WS3.0 release. My fear is that i get caught in the middle of a development project by this release with a full chunk of data that suddenly became obsolete. I was planning to do the Pará state next, wich is HUGE, hence my fear. So i plan now to just do the major cities , so they have updated airports, while i learn the tools and gather good data for working with the WS3.0 framework.
So I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter, and ask if someone knows if the new WS will be released soon. What do you guys (and gals) think?

Kind regards, lomar
lomar

Postby merspieler » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:52 pm

Home you get well through your final paper and exams...

Regarding WS3.0, the hope's there for it to be available by the end of the year with 2022.3 (Assuming the release pattern of the past).
I've already started building bits and pieces of WS3.0 scenery... I find the tools easier to use than the terragear tool chain.
Airports will for now still use terragear as there were some issues with the draping approach Stuart had in mind but there's work in progress for it to be automated to the point where we can pull airport updates from the xplane gateway on a weekly or even daily basis without any real contributor efforts so airports would become legacy (not calling it obsolete cause there will be some folks using the current stable version for some time after the next major stable release)

So if you want my opinion, I'd say focus on finishing college and then dive right into the WS3.0 stuff.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby TheEagle » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:15 pm

Hmm … there's one thing I don't understand: will the normal scenery be in the new VPB format, and only the airports will continue using BTG ? Or do you mean with "Airports will for now still use terragear" that genapts850 will be used for the generation of the airport, but the resulting BTG files will be converted and included into the VPB file ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery