Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Custom Scenery for Oshkosh-Green-Bay-U.P. of Michigan

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Custom Scenery for Oshkosh-Green-Bay-U.P. of Michigan

Postby pb321 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 pm

Custom scenery for central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is now available for download. This includes KOSH (Oshkosh, WI, home of the E.A.A.), KATW (Appleton, WI), KGRB (Green Bay, Wi) and many other airports in North Central Wisconsin and the Upper Peninusula of Michigan. The scenery uses SRTM-1 elevation data, smoothed National Land Cover Data, color corrected USGS orthophotos surrounding major airports (optional), and OSM2City data.

For more photos and details, and to download the scenery, go to https://github.com/LGBudd/KOSH-KATW-KGRB_and_UP_Mich.

This scenery is best when used with two previously released custom sceneries: KORD-KMKE and Champaign (see previous forum topic). Together, the three provide a north-south air corridor from Champaign, IL in the south to Chicago, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, Appleton, Green Bay, Iron Mountain/Escanaba/Menominee, Marquette’s Sawyer International (formerly K.I. Sawyer AFB), to Houghton, Michigan.

Custom Materials and Textures can be downloaded to make the land more realistic. The color corrected USGS orthophotos for the area surrounding major airports are also available.

General Aviation and Delta traffic to/from airports within the area are also included as separate downloads, to add to the already available commercial traffic. Groundnets have been added to FlightGear over the past two or three years for the included airports with commercial traffic.

It is hoped some of you will enjoy this scenery! Please report any issues you find on the appropriate Github site.

Marquette, MIchigan

Houghton, Michigan

KCMX (Houghton County Memorial Airport)
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Custom Scenery for Oshkosh-Green-Bay-U.P. of Michigan

Postby vnts » Mon May 31, 2021 10:43 am

Looks great :mrgreen:

The Github repo only has screenshots so far?
pb321 wrote in Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 pm:
Custom Materials and Textures can be downloaded to make the land more realistic.

These should be merged to FGData (some review checklist points on wiki: link). There are regular point release updates, and since these are no or low risk changes they can be added to a point release.

The mixed tree textures used in the Houghton, Michigan screenshot are the old low res version mixed.png. mixed-alt.png is the new highres version.

You should also add those to the wiki (and May newsletter) https://wiki.flightgear.org/Suggested_custom_scenery (the new wiki is great,easier to use than the forum. Copy/paste works, and there's a wizard for uploading screenshots that handles licensing.)

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:56 am

Thanks very much for your comments, @vnts! I will follow up, probably over the next weekend.

Are all the "-alt" textures high resolution?
pb321

Postby vnts » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:57 am

There's no particular hurry.
Most of the -alt texture are higher resolution I think (available texture choices are in the data/Textures/Trees folder) - some the older ones like mixed.png are from a different era and are cartoonish as well.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:19 am

Made the changes suggested. It improved the looks of the mixed forests in two custom scenery definitions and of deciduous forests (using deciduous-alt.png) in another. I will upload the new definitions, hopefully in the next day or two. There are a couple of potential improvements I want to look into first.
Thank you, @vnts! :)
pb321

Postby pb321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:49 am

Uploaded and replaced "nwisc-data.zip" with the changes to hires versions of trees.
pb321

Postby vnts » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Oh I see :mrgreen: , usually the changes are in the github repository. I missed the google drive download link in the description part of the github page.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the google drive setup :?: , but I was able to get a Nwisc.data.zip file. I may have accidentally downloaded from the other thread, but the zip files I got included Nwisc-data.zip.

It seems the only way to download is to click "Download All" in the top right corner? Doing that brought up a dialog box while google zipped up - and after a while 2 zips downloaded. I got a 1.7 GB download for the scenery with most but not all the zip files, and a 3.5 GB download for the orthophotos.

Is it possible to just have the general scenery in one zip file, the fgdata changes for /all/ your sceneries in a 2nd zip file, and the orthophotos in a 3rd zip file?

Folder/file format inside the zip files:
Usually scenery download packages just imitate the file structure on disk, and just zip up the relevant folders. I don't think most people downloading would really know which folder goes where?, or how to make changes to materials.xml to include the new regional definitions file.

For example:
- Scenery folder like SuitableCustomSceneryFolderName/Terrain, SuitableCustomSceneryFolderName/Buildings, SuitableCustomSceneryFolderName/Roads etc.
- Orthophotos: SuitableCustomSceneryFolderName/Orthophotos/*.* in a 2nd zip file.
- FGData: data/Textures/Terrain/*.* in a 3rd zip file. This should also be in the github repo. Maybe include a copy of materials.xml that loads wisconsin_north_and_up_michigan.xml . Can call it NWisMaterials.xml and ask people to change names, but materials.xml is fine too (it will just overwrite the existing version probably without giving people a chance to backup/rename the old file). This zip file should contain regional definitions for all sceneries - otherwise the materials.xml files will clash (it will also improve terrasync terrain so there's no harm).

That way people can just extract folders to install in their custom scenery folder, and replace materials.xml. In the longer term, the FGData changes should be merged so nwisc_data.zip file isn't needed.

SuitableCustomScneryFolderName should probably be of the form: USA-maybe-a-region-state(s)-optionally-airports to make it easier to manage lots of custom sceneries.

I'll have a closer look at it inside the simulator later. Here's the first impressions from looking at the new FGData files (and a quick look around KOSH with the FGData changes only).

------

Reviewing FGData changes for possible merging - these files should be in the github repo

Textures\Terrain agriculture textures: https://imgur.com/a/juLVoN8

Sources:
It's possibly a good idea (?) to just create a text file called sources and write down the files under USGS. I think earthexplorere might use several soruces, not all of them are public domain https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-syste ... ata-policy so the exact source should be noted. I think for FGData the sources either get mentioned in the commit, or get mentioned in a textfile in FGData (which is probably better for people iterating on textures, and also attribution).
If you have the info available, it might also help to write the lat/lon down, and/or a url along with the sources - as that might help future people re-process textures from the original USGS sources, or create larger textures from orthophots in that area.

Does anyone have any review comments?

The landclasses for this area (all of non-southern USA in fact?) don't have any type of regionalisation whatsoever - not even a general one like Europe. Landclasses just use the global placeholder scenery - so this should be a straightforward improvement in most/all aspects. For reviewing it for merging with FGData it's probably best to also compare against default WS2 which will stress test it more for things like tiling - disabling/renaming the custom scenery folder works.

The agriculture pattern a square one in all of crop textures. If the horizontal and vertical boundaries align with the image I think the square crop rotation (rotation_flag = 2) should work better? It probably introduces a bit of noticeable tiling and irregularity otherwise - but it doesn't look too bad, but I've only had a quick look around KOSH using default FG terrain. It's ok to rotate the images/layers in GIMP slightly so the vertical/horizontal boundaries are not at an angle. This will produce slight holes, but they can be patched up using the resynthesiser I think - if you have the original source/location then a larger texture could be used. The agriculture effect has <uv_xoffset> and <uv_yoffset> 0 to 1.0, to use a smaller square and rotate that.

If you can find suitable drone images in OpenAerialMap ( https://openaerialmap.org/ ) for agriculture or other textures for parts of the USA (zoom out so the squares cover more images and browse them), I can extract them . Parts of images containing the type of texture you want is fine, and the resynthesiser can remix them.

The modern high quality agriculture base textures tend to be 2048x2048 spread over 2km or less (I think orchards.png is 2048x2048 spread out over a much smaller area as you can see a lot of crop detail). If you remember the location where you extracted the textures it's possible to just extract a larger texture (or at a higher zoom level). There's also room to resynthesise.

Texture folders/names - currently the textures are just in one folder, I guess it makes it easier to go through available texture options. So it's probably better to have it that way. It might be better to use file names that indicate the country-state as people might not know all the US states, and it makes searching easier in future.

------

File names

Textures: I don't know if it's better to have Country_stateORregion_IrrCrop1.png or IrrCrop1_country_stateORregion.png to make browsing texture options easier in future. The 2nd option is probably easier to work with, although some filenames use the 1st.

Materials: wisconsin_north_and_up_michigan.xml should maybe indicate the country and the region of usa as well so people can find areas better?. e.g. us_region-here_wisconsin_north_and_up_michigan.xml

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks for downloading the scenery, @vnts, and looking especially at the materials and textures, as I can use some help there, for sure. I will try to answer your questions and will make the changes you’ve suggested if I’m able to do so.

It was my intent to try to get the NLCD scenery, orthophotos, materials and textures, and OSM buildings, pylons, etc. uploaded to the github repository. However, I couldn’t seem to make it work, I think because of my slow Internet connection. It would start and then quit. I’d re-start it and it would quit, over and over. I finally gave up and decided to put things on a Google Drive. I wasn’t aware it was forcing users to “Download All”. I was trying to do things the way @montagdude handled his New York and other scenery, but it wasn’t working for me with my slow Internet connection.

I put up written instructions for what to do with each of the files in the Github repositories. Did you see those? I will make a “materials.xml” for all the sceneries in one file and precede the custom scenery name with “USA-Midwest-Illinois”, “USA-Midwest-Central_Wisconsin”, USA-Midwest-Northern_Wisconsin_U.P._Michigan”. Good suggestion!

Orthophoto Sources: I had downloaded the raw orthophotos using Nathaniel Warner’s python scripts, so it will take some time to get the information you’ve suggested for each photo. I’ll get it, however, and create the text file you suggest. I thought that the lack of restrictions on copyright of this data had already been established in the forum discussion on Nathaniel’s download scripts. I had also checked the attribution required and this page provided the guidance I used: https://www.usgs.gov/information-polici ... nd-credits. It did not appear to me than any of the orthophotos used were “marked as being copyrighted.” I wouldn’t have used these USGS orthos if I thought it meant infringing on a copyright and am fairly certain I am not, unless something was inadvertently missed. The lat/lon should be easy to list, as the orthos are contained in lat/lon buckets. All orthos and textures started with a USGS image downloaded through the python and perl scripts.

Glad you pointed out that the rotation_flag was incorrect in many of the definitions. I thought I had it right but somehow missed many. They have been changed. I will look into “rotation of some images in GIMP where there may be a slight horizontal/vertical adjustment needed and the resynthesizer (I believe this is the same as a procedure I am familiar with in PhotoShop).

I’ll get to work on this and upload the changed files with a new naming convention when done. Please let me know if I’ve misinterpreted or misunderstood what you’ve suggested.

Thanks very much for your help, @vnts!
pb321

Postby vnts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 pm

pb321 wrote in Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm:It was my intent to try to get the NLCD scenery, orthophotos, materials and textures, and OSM buildings, pylons, etc. uploaded to the github repository. However, I couldn’t seem to make it work, I think because of my slow Internet connection. It would start and then quit. I’d re-start it and it would quit, over and over. I finally gave up and decided to put things on a Google Drive. I wasn’t aware it was forcing users to “Download All”. I was trying to do things the way @montagdude handled his New York and other scenery, but it wasn’t working for me with my slow Internet connection.

Google drive is generally better/simpler for people to download. Generally when google drive is used people just have a direct download to a zip file like this WS3 prototype scenery: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CfT_s ... bvUJk/view

I'm not sure what you have to do configure to get that. Just having 3 separate downloads with links is probably straightforward (for scenery, orthophotos, and FGData). That way people can just extract them into the relevant locations.

As for Github, I had issues with timeouts when downloading large files - I wasn't able to try xDraconians Tennessee scenery as it kept on timing out and that was over 1GB. I don't think Github works well for large files.
pb321 wrote in Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm:I put up written instructions for what to do with each of the files in the Github repositories. Did you see those?

Oh I missed that, that would help. Usually scenery is just a simple download from the github page, and any instructions are in the readme inside the download. After looking at the google download interface you can download individual files - once the download comes up there's a tiny down arrow in the top right corner, but it is very easy to miss.
pb321 wrote in Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm:I will make a “materials.xml” for all the sceneries in one file and precede the custom scenery name with “USA-Midwest-Illinois”, “USA-Midwest-Central_Wisconsin”, USA-Midwest-Northern_Wisconsin_U.P._Michigan”.

That was my bad using dashes in the example, I didn't mean to mix underscores and dashes. The regional definitions xml filenames should probably follow the others in the directory - looking at it, I think only underscores are used.
pb321 wrote in Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm:Orthophoto Sources: I had downloaded the raw orthophotos using Nathaniel Warner’s python scripts, so it will take some time to get the information you’ve suggested for each photo. I’ll get it, however, and create the text file you suggest. I thought that the lack of restrictions on copyright of this data had already been established in the forum discussion on Nathaniel’s download scripts. I had also checked the attribution required and this page provided the guidance I used: https://www.usgs.gov/information-polici ... nd-credits. It did not appear to me than any of the orthophotos used were “marked as being copyrighted.” I wouldn’t have used these USGS orthos if I thought it meant infringing on a copyright and am fairly certain I am not, unless something was inadvertently missed. The lat/lon should be easy to list, as the orthos are contained in lat/lon buckets. All orthos and textures started with a USGS image downloaded through the python and perl scripts.

Oh the download scripts themselves don't say anything about copyright, and being compatible with GPL? Online sources are restrictive, they may only allow personal use and not allow distribution (USGS etc. is ok, but EarthExplorer may have other sources). The sources that are GPL compatible from EarthExplorer might also ask to have attribution in a certain way, and that can just be cut/pasted onto the text file (if it gets used in FGData). Since these images are of the USA there's a pretty good chance they are public domain.

I think the image metadata is supposed to contain whether images are public domain or restricted? https://www.usgs.gov/information-polici ... nd-credits .

For finding bits of agriculture to be used for FGData, maybe it's easier to use the web interface? Is the resolution of the downloaded raw orthophotos limited? I think EarthExplorer has fairly high resolution layers. The bits of agriculture don't have to be from the same area, anywhere in the USA (or the world) that has that type of agriculture and the same appearance will do. The agriculture should also be summer
pb321 wrote in Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:37 pm:I will look into “rotation of some images in GIMP where there may be a slight horizontal/vertical adjustment needed and the resynthesizer (I believe this is the same as a procedure I am familiar with in PhotoShop).

In GIMP the rotate layer tool will work.
Photoshop doesn't have the equivalent of the resynthesiser (I started documenting useful tools for working with regional definitions in the wiki as I discovered them: https://wiki.flightgear.org/GIMP#Resynthesiser_plugin
). Photoshop does have a content aware fill that might be able to patch up holes, but it won't be as powerful as the resynthesiser.

-----------

Album with regional definitions and scenery and review comments: https://imgur.com/a/LP2jqYI

Album with new textures: https://imgur.com/a/LP2jqYI

Firstly: the new high resolution landclasses and terrain is awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . It makes a huge difference even without the new regional definitions - near KOSH there's a boundary between the default global definitions and the new regional one (not sure if that's intentional), and it looks much improved just due to high res/accurate landclasses. You should definitely try to get landclasses into the first worldbuild of world scenery 3.0.

The current terrasync landlcasses is good for showing tiling - I just renamed the scenery folder and reloaded scenery to switch back and forth. A lot of landtypes seem to be mapped to a few landclasses in the terrasync terrain, so diversity of textures isn't shown and tiling is exaggerated.

Unfortunately, TerraSync landclasses are pretty much what everyone will see until WS3 reaches LTS in 2022 or later as the entire continent will need to be rebuilt to update terrain while avoiding seams (don't think the seam patching tool can quite handle huge areas?). For example FGUK's example photoscenery had 70 downloads when I looked and it was the only example scenery available (wasn't mentioned in the wiki due to licensing, but it would not have had that much more) - by comparison the FG main program has over 5k downloads a week just from the sourceforge page and a lot of those are from the USA. So it might be worth it to map the types of landlcass names in your custom terrain, to those found in terrasync terrain - just switch the landclass names around. I noticed a lot of the terrasync landclasses were under DryCropPastureCover/DryCrop/Greenspace so maybe these could be split, and mapped to suitable regional definitions. There was a lot of terrain mapped to Grasslands too. If this approach doesn't work it's also possible to just change the agriculture effect to the terrain-default effect for DryCropPastureCover/Drycrop etc., and have a mix of agriculture textures, grasslands, other textures using overlay mixing - and do several texture sets for the different farm textures. This can be merged to FGData if a good enough map can be found, and called WS2_landclass_fixes_USA_name_here.xml. Otherwise the existing regional definitions for the custom scenery & accurate landlcass names will still be an improvement, and will look fantastic once WS3 arrives.

An issue is matching textures from landclasses covered by the global scenery definitions against landclasses in the new custom scenery. And matching textures between different landclasses in the new custom scenery.
Outside of southern USA there's no placeholder USA regional definition, like for Europe. The scenery falls right back to the global placeholder which will show some non-attention grabbing general landtypes for different landclasses.

Not sure matching things like soil colours against global definitions is important but, they soil colours be matched against a general non-southern USA look. Agriculture should show some bare fields and soil to blend in with soil colours from non-agriculture landclasses see California-drycrop2, and uk-countryside for the high resolution used and how soils blend in with other textures from the same area.

See comments for NWIrrCrop1 in the album. So far I've found the rotate colour tool to select areas with a certain hue, and then to also map those areas to another colour using the rotate colour tool, or change saturation/intensity etc. : https://wiki.flightgear.org/GIMP#Rotate_Color_tool .

Textures need to also be matched to Erik's texture matching project, but that can happen later? I'm not sure what the exact tools and target was for matching textures (looking at mean and standarddeviations for HSV values?) - but that should probably be documented in a wiki guide to make it easier for future people to implement.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm

Thank you again, @vnts, for your constructive comments and suggestions! This will take me a while to absorb and act on, but it will result in nice improvements, I'm sure. It's nice to set a goal to have the results included in FlightGear with WS3.0.

I still want to get the custom scenery for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick to a point where it might be released. Some of the materials and textures from the midwestern materials and textures are used, so it will be affected by any changes made going forward, too.

I will split out the DryCropPastureCover/DryCrop/Greenspace and get separate textures for them as well as GrassLand. I hadn't realized how much this would affect the overall look until you made your observations and commented.

It will be a long process to correct the materials and textures, but I realize, as stated in wikis and forum posts, that changes to materials and textures in a region can have a huge impact on the overall look of the land and sea in FlightGear, so the time spent will be worth it.

Questions:
If starting at KCMI (Champaign), there is a very dark cast to the land. If starting at KBMI (Central Illinois airport, only a short distance away), the land looks as it should. Sometimes, if starting at KBMI, then changing the location to KCMI within FlightGear, the land at KCMI will look as it probably should. Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this strange behavior? It didn't always do this. Sometime while working on materials and textures, this started happening. I tried an older version of materials and textures, however, and it doesn't seem to matter.

When using the UFO or just positioning the aircraft to a higher elevation to view any tiling, do you change the LOD ranges to eliminate the ALS haze or simply turn off ALS?

...better get back to changing a few things...

Thanks and regards
pb321

Postby vnts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:24 pm

pb321 wrote in Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm: It's nice to set a goal to have the results included in FlightGear with WS3.0.

Just to be clear terrasync scenery (WS2) will be improved with the textures and regional materials made for your custom scenery (once they are ready to be included into FGData and distributed to everybody).

On top of that, it's possible to create a landclass quick-fix file that deals with the old source data of the terrasync terrain getting landclasses wrong by mapping a lot of things to 3 or 4 landclasses. For example near KOSH everything in terrasync is drycrop and grasslands - while your custom scenery has irrigated crops, marshes etc. So all the textures you made for those aren't showing. Making a quick-fix file, and putting it after your the regional definition file will let the fixes override the correct regional definitions. When WS3 comes around this landclass quick-fix file can just be removed (or just activated by a condition as it's possible to have conditions in XML files - as I think the plan is for FG to retain the ability to also use WS2 terrain if possible).
pb321 wrote in Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm:I will split out the DryCropPastureCover/DryCrop/Greenspace and get separate textures for them as well as GrassLand. I hadn't realized how much this would affect the overall look until you made your observations and commented.

Well part of the problem, at least near KOSH is that the old outdated landclass source has mapped other landclasses to these. For terrasync terrain, just splitting these and assigning the existing textures/definitions for some of the actual landlcasses would fix it. It's also possible to just use the terrain-default effect for these landclasses, and mix between several textures from the actual landclasses that are present in your custom scenery source - for each region.

How much does does splitting DryCropPastureCover/DryCrop/Greenspace help your custom scenery terrain? . Even with the modern source, some regions might have mapping errors so DryCrop gets mixed with greenspace etc. It might be possible to recolour some of the existing textures. If it's worth it depends on how much of it is present each area. OpenAreialMap probably has some suitable textures (I can extract them if you identify maps which have bits that look like those land-classes).
pb321 wrote in Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm:I still want to get the custom scenery for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick to a point where it might be released. Some of the materials and textures from the Midwestern materials and textures are used, so it will be affected by any changes made going forward, too.

I've probably missed a lot of these custom scenery threads : (

Does Nova Scotia really have much of a connection to mainland Canada? It might be possible to fix any seams with xDraconian's tool and merge terrain into terrasync. Prince Edward island should be fine to merge into terrasync terrain. New Brunswick might have to wait for WS3.
pb321 wrote in Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:18 pm:When using the UFO or just positioning the aircraft to a higher elevation to view any tiling, do you change the LOD ranges to eliminate the ALS haze or simply turn off ALS?

So far, I generally choose core high pressure region and that gets rid of clouds. If there are clouds in the way I just press Apply a bunch of times. I use: All scenery layers off for no obstructions and faster loading, and a large LoD: bare. Realistic visibility in weather > detailed weather > advanced should increase visibility range. For dealing with scenery, increasing UFO speed with "[" and "]" keys is pretty useful, and the sideways movement with < > helps too. https://wiki.flightgear.org/Ufo

I haven't figured out the Illinois scenery yet - the files were the same?, I'll download the terrain zip and test later. I think I have the FGData part installed, and I don't see any difference (they both seem to just have agriculture on what might be terrasync scenery). Screenshots might help. I'll test later. Screenshots of what's happening on your computer would probably show what's wrong.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 pm

DIfferences between Illinois and others will eventually be in farmland and soil color. I have other textures for Illinois cropland but was having trouble with the darkness showing in Champaign and they were too low resolution, so I replaced them. I've got to go back and get better textures and color the soil to a dark black. Plots In Illinois are larger than In Wisconsin and Michigan.

In the end the materials files can probably be simplified, to grab materials from one another...just not sure yet. I was trying to split out as many materials as I could to provide as much detail as possible. There are differences in the car park being defined as asphalt and/or pond (to avoid creating a unique material definition). Unfortunately, when Illinois scenery was started, I hadn't fully developed a plan for osm land class use.
pb321

Postby pb321 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:45 pm

Regarding the concern about licensing of National Map data downloaded using Earth Explorer, here is a very clear statement from the U.S. Geological Survey:
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-are-terms-uselicensing-map-services-and-data-national-map?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products
pb321

Postby fatty » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:38 pm

Quick question about the orthophotos - are they meant to cover the entire scenery area or just certain sections? Just checking to make sure I installed correctly. Thanks!
fatty

Postby pb321 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 am

Orthophotos were only uploaded for the area around major airports .
pb321

Return to Scenery