Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Australian scenery project updates

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Australian scenery project updates

Postby agathosdaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:20 am

thanks for this guide , though i dont understand fully - are you saying i just need to change the word autumn to summer? or do i need to do somethign with an overlay texture? sorry i am not familiar with how any of xml works so forgive my obtuseness. is the overlay texture vanishing a good thing or bad thing? what even is the "overlay" texture?
agathosdaimon

Postby frtps » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:50 am

Yes I am saying just change autumn to summer. Just edit the file in a text editor to change the file names (ending in ".png") so that "autumn" -> "summer", and the file name just below those that has "overlay" in the name change completely to the name I suggested. Copy the old xml file to a backup before you make any changes just in case. The "overlay" in this case is meant to give a grassy look to the texture. I think if it is missing the texture will just be a bit less "grassy" so the main change is the autumn -> summer one.
frtps

Postby vnts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:25 am

agathosdaimon, you can try copying the entire definition block containing airport keep from data\Materials\regions\global-summer.xml into the Australia materials XML file's keep definition.

This is the definition for a standard green grass airport keep. There are several other examples of keeps in other XML files that could be a starting point for parts of the country that are less wet/warm e.g. the AirportKepp block in california.xml might be a good starting point for drier airports in the interior.

There should be several names of landclasses besides AirportKeep in the block in the Australia XML file (e.g. greenspace/grassland/grass/) . You should keep those names instead of replacing them with ones from global-summer.xml (they may turn out to be the same).

The block in global-summer.xml to copy:
<material>
<name>Grass</name>
<name>Airport</name>
<name>AirportKeep</name>
[content to copy into the Australia XML file ...]
</material>

The reason it's worthwhile copying the whole definition is that there was a rework of airport keep done for 2020.3 LTS [1], and the textures were renamed and replaced, including the grass structure textures. There was a tweaked effect put in place with grass overlays active.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby pb321 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:12 am

One thorny problem is the occasional appearance of white areas or flickering areas in the terrain. I suspect two areas are overlaid and sometimes none, sometimes one and sometimes the other are rendered. This is going to be tough to track down, I'm guessing that during extraction and overlay in Grass shapefiles are produced that contain multiple features with the same landclass at the same spot, and Terragear preserves this.

What was the approach to fix this problem, as I have encountered the same problem with scenery I've worked on?

Thank you!

Your Australian scenery is fantastic!
pb321

Version: 2020.2.1

Postby merspieler » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:08 am

You've quoted the solution already....

during extraction and overlay in Grass shapefiles are produced that contain multiple features with the same landclass at the same spot, and Terragear preserves this.

You need to check the shapefiles...
If everything is going against you, keep in mind that airplanes take off against the wind, not with it.
merspieler

Callsign: JST935. ORI1711
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby pb321 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:43 am

Thank you for your reply, @merspieler!

I turned off trees to view only landclass shapefiles and ALS to get maximum contrast between landclasses, As I am working on four different material.xml files, there was a lot to look at and compare to see what worked and what didn't. I found the following reasons for the white (blank) landclass shapefiles:
  1. Missing material definition for a landclass within the material.xml file.
  2. Missing .png extension in one of the textures identified in a materials definition within the material.xml file.
  3. Various remnants of comment markdown (like "<!--" or "-->").
  4. Misspelling of textures or incorrect (no longer included) textures.
pb321

Version: 2020.2.1

Previous

Return to Scenery