Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Hello Folk

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Hello Folk

Postby AOB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 am

Hi All, this is my first post here and I come from Windows and FSX/Aerosoft FS2 into Flightgear and Linux. So far the experience of changing operating systems has been relatively painless too. I know I am 12 years too late to be a newbie when this was started but I do need some help please.

The scenery loading into the Flightgear world when I fly out of Sydney is not pleasing. :shock:

The Bridge and Opera house are just green/black blocks or ditches and any detail is sadly lacking. Is there any 3rd party stuff for the Linux version out there that I can download to improve my Aussie world please :?:
AOB

Re: Hello Folk

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:17 am

There is group especially for Australia in the thread Australian scenery project updates.
The main work is about terrain, but it can be that there are also 3d work for models.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby frtps » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:13 am

AOB wrote in Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 am:
The scenery loading into the Flightgear world when I fly out of Sydney is not pleasing. :shock:

The Bridge and Opera house are just green/black blocks or ditches and any detail is sadly lacking. Is there any 3rd party stuff for the Linux version out there that I can download to improve my Aussie world please :?:

Welcome from another relatively recent arrival! I agree that the stock scenery for Sydney is pretty basic for one of the top 10 most popular flight sim airports. I was most disturbed that North Head sloped into the sea instead of having 100m high cliffs. So I have been slowly working on improvements ever since. These are in the form of scenery generation scripts and textures, rather than the actual terrain or man-made objects at this stage. If you would like something as good as the commercial scenery for Australia for use in commercial flight simulators, alas, there is none and won't be in the near future. If you feel like helping out, there are all sorts of ideas listed on the Australian scenery project repository.

I am planning to generate and distribute a 2x2 degree scenery square sometime soon encompassing Sydney-Wollongong-Blue Mountains as a sort of Christmas treat to show where we are at. Keep an eye on the Australian scenery project thread for updates.
frtps

Postby AOB » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks guys. I will keep my eye on that project thread.
AOB

Return to Scenery