Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Animated Jetways: Type 1 or 2?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Animated Jetways: Type 1 or 2?

Postby ThomasS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

Hello,

the Wiki mentions type 1 and type 2 animated jetways (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Animated_jetways), with "Type 1 is more advanced than type 2."

As far as I can see the main difference is

type 1 works with AI aircraft (good) but requires icao.jetways.xml, which is not part of the scenery object database (not good?)
type 2 doesn't work with AI aircraft (not good) but resides in the scenery object database (good)

Does anyone know whether these are competing approaches or is one of these deprecated? Or should the approaches be merged?

If someone is going to add animated jetways to an airport, which type should he prefer?

Regards
Thomas
ThomasS

Version: 2018.2.1

Re: Animated Jetways: Type 1 or 2?

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 pm

ThomasS wrote in Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am:type 1 works with AI aircraft (good) but requires icao.jetways.xml, which is not part of the scenery object database (not good?)

they might not be part of the scenery database but they are or can be distributed by terrasync... one only need to create and submit them... they should be well tested and accurate... if there are any already existing, they should not be lost by blind overwriting them... existing ones should be fixed if they need fixing... they should not need fixing, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ThomasS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:22 am

Well, while moving some elements of the EDDK custom scenery (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31646&start=15) into the scenery database I'm feeling increasingly unhappy with the ICAO.jetways.xml file:

- Its difficult to maintain. I cannot evolve the jetways step by step without always modifying the complete file
    - It bypasses parts of the well established process for adding objects to the scenery and always requires some manual intervention by a core developer for committing it.

Why not use single files for each jetway? Jetways are independent from each other. I know there is some more meta data in the file, but it might be worth to think about a way for using existing processes for maintaining those jetways. Finding such a way might also merge the existing jetway solutions (static,type1,type2) into a single general concept.

I wonder if anybody shares my opinion and whether there is anybody with more advanced knowledge than I have about all this for coaching such a process.
ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:04 am

Or we reuse the model upload form for uploading single jetway XML files and the server puts it all together into a single jetways file like it does for STG files.
ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 am

Just for the records: After some discussion on the developer mailing list I started looking for a more generic approach that supplies a more convenient way for creating animated jetways. Its described in http://wiki.flightgear.org/AI_Scenery_Objects.
ThomasS

Return to Scenery