Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Flight dynamics model

YASim thrust vectoring

Good sims require good FDMs (the "thing" that makes an aircraft behave like an aircraft).

YASim thrust vectoring

Postby grahamjamesaddis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:35 am

Reading the docs and Buckaroo's guide it seems that thrust vectoring only works in one axis. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks, Graham
grahamjamesaddis

Re: YASim thrust vectoring

Postby danielHL » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes, thrust vectoring only works around the y axis. You could use simple thrusters to produce a vectoring effect. They don't have controllable vectors either, though. You would probably need a few of those and some nasal magic to make it work... Maybe there is a working example out there?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby grahamjamesaddis » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Daniel, I've managed to get a proof of concept working with the thrust vectoring as you suggested. :) Took a while to get to it, because lockdown got in the way, but got there in the end.
grahamjamesaddis

Postby cgdae » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:58 pm

grahamjamesaddis wrote in Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:17 pm:Thanks Daniel, I've managed to get a proof of concept working with the thrust vectoring as you suggested. :) Took a while to get to it, because lockdown got in the way, but got there in the end.

Just noticed this thread, and might be a bit late to be useful. But have you seen fgaddon's harrier-gr3?

It is YASim and models the aircraft's thrusters on nose, tail and wingtips using <thruster>...</thruster>. E.g. see: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/HEAD/tree/trunk/Aircraft/Harrier-GR3/Harrier-GR3.xml.

- Jules
cgdae

Postby grahamjamesaddis » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:34 pm

"But have you seen fgaddon's harrier-gr3?" No, but I managed to sort it with DanielHL's comment.

Nice model though and it may help me sort out some nasal code. Thanks.
grahamjamesaddis

Return to Flight dynamics model