Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Flight dynamics model

Extreme axcelerations during engine start up.

Good sims require good FDMs (the "thing" that makes an aircraft behave like an aircraft).

Re: Extreme axcelerations during engine start up.

Postby hvengel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Might also have a look at line 303 where there is similar but slightly different code to calculate J.

Also had some more failures. This was typical:

/fdm/jsbsim/velocities/u-aero-fps = -1633029734

This time I observed /fdm/jsbsim/velocities/u-aero-fps for a few minutes before engaging the starter. it was close to 0 and was fluctuating between + and - values.
hvengel
Retired

Postby jentron » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:23 am

daveculp wrote in Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm:Looks like there is no divide-by-zero check before the calculation of J in line 211 of FGPropeller.cpp. (It allows divide by -0?). I'm on the road so can't get to it now.

Hi Dave,

I see a divide by zero check there:
Code: Select all
 if (RPS > 0.0) J = Vel / (Diameter * RPS); // Calculate J normally
  else           J = Vel / Diameter;

It even has your name on the commit. :D

Down at line 260 we have this:
if (RPS != 0.0) J = Vel / (Diameter * RPS);

but we've already clipped the negative RPS values at that point.

Ron
// looking at http://jsbsim.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewv ... otate=1.48
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby daveculp » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:47 am

I was thinking it could get to -0, from the negative side before triggering the test for GT zero. This would also explain why it happens when hitting the starter in a tailwind. RPS goes from negative to positive, passing through -0 on the way. Not sure how -0 is handled. It may be compiler and architecture dependent.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby erik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:45 am

Wouldn't is be better to treat RPM < 1.0 as a special case, and treat it as stationary from that point?
Negative RPM is rather abstract, especially since Variable pitch prop can have pitch < 0 which should result in a negative thrust vector.

Erik
erik

Postby hvengel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 pm

RPS is RPM/60 so revolutions per second.

RPM can never be < 0.0 - from line 285

if (RPM < 0.0) RPM = 0.0; // Engine won't turn backwards

So RPS < 0.0 should never happen.

Also my c++ foo, somewhat vaguely, says if a floating point number has a mantissa = 0 the sign bit does not matter since it is still 0. And I agree with Ron that there is a divide by zero check at line 211.

I think Ron was more concerned about an anomaly on how aero velocity is calculated which I think is calculated like this in the propeller code:

FGColumnVector3 localAeroVel = Transform().Transposed() * in.AeroUVW;
double Vel = localAeroVel(eU);

But is Vel the same as or related to /fdm/jsbsim/velocities/u-aero-fps?
hvengel
Retired

Postby jentron » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Actually, my concern is with propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps which normally isn't used for anything, but is used in your aero section (and some I've written, too)
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
jentron

Postby erik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Still RPM can be 0 possibly leading to device by zero in the calculations, or requiring a number of checks to prevent them (one even tests for RPS < 0 which you say can't happen), This could be simply avoided by testing for RPM< 1 once and treat it as if it were 0, or else run the current code (without the checks). At least that's just my 2 cents worth.
erik

Postby hvengel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Ron,

Yes I use propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps to add prop wash affects for aero/thrust-qbar_psf and this in turn affects various control/stabilizer surfaces. Doing this makes the aircraft way more docile during the early phases of a take off and is probably a better fit to IRL behavior.

If this is the where the problem is coming from then this would explain why this is not showing up in a broader range of aircraft since most do not use it.

I can add a JSBSim function to clamp propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps and output it to a custom property and use the clamped value instead. But first I will take a look at propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps when there is a failure to see what it looks like.

Hal
hvengel
Retired

Postby hvengel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Ron,

Just had this happen while closely monitoring propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps and I didn't see any anomalies with propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps. In fact at the failure point it was 0.024307 and at no time did it go over 2.75 or below 0.

/fdm/jsbsim/velocities/u-aero-fps appears to be where the extreme numbers are coming from. It will have huge negative when the failure occurs. I tried to filter out the extreme negative values by doing:

<pure_gain name="u-aero-fps_clipped">
      <input>velocities/u-aero-fps</input>
      <gain>1.0</gain>
      <clipto>
        <min>-3500.0</min> <!--max 40 mile per hour tail wind -->
      </clipto>
      <output>velocities/u-aero-fps_clipped</output>
   </pure_gain>

But this only outputs 0.0. I must be doing something wrong but I don't see what it is.
hvengel
Retired

Postby hvengel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm

I think I have the issue fixed but I am not sure I have things totally correct.

My old code looks like this:

<function name="aero/thrust-qbar_psf">
     <description>Air_velocity_due_to_propwash</description>
     <product>
       <v> 0.5 </v>
       <p> atmosphere/rho-slugs_ft3 </p>
           <pow>
               <sum>
                  <p> velocities/u-aero-fps </p>   
                  <product>
                       <p> propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps </p>
                       <v> 2.0 </v>
                  </product>
               </sum>
               <v> 2.0 </v>
       </pow>
     </product>
 </function>

It is using velocities/u-aero-fps along with propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps to calculate the thrust-qbar_psf which is basically qbar_psf plus the prop wash induced qbar_psf. The problem is that velocities/u-aero-fps has major issues under certain conditions and can have huge negative values. I decided to eliminate velocities/u-aero-fps from the thrust-qbar_psf calculation and came up with this:

<function name="aero/thrust-qbar_psf">
      <description>Air_velocity_due_to_propwash</description>
      <sum>
       <product>
         <v> 0.5 </v>
         <p>atmosphere/rho-slugs_ft3</p>
              <pow>
                <product>
                  <p> propulsion/engine/prop-induced-velocity_fps </p>
                  <v> 2.0 </v>
                </product>
                <v> 2.0 </v>
            </pow>       
       </product>
        <p>aero/qbar-psf</p>
      </sum>     
  </function>

I am not sure that this is completely correct but the values it outputs at least seem plausible and I didn't feel any change in the way the P-51D handled.

If my memory is correct the original code was lifted from a thread on the developers email list but I don't remember who authored it. If possible could who ever wrote the original code for that thread please review this to make sure that I am not going totally off the farm.
hvengel
Retired

Postby jentron » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 am

Did you manage to nail down the conditions were u-aero-fps isn't valid?

Your formula looks ok to me. The full-on simguys might whine about adding pressures, and the helicopter guy in me would rather be using qbarUW-psf (qbar with the side component removed)
jentron

Postby hvengel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:02 pm

u-aero-fps has issues when the is a slight wind and u-aero-fps is moving between + and - values. There is usually a slight tail wind when this is happening. It does not happen in stronger tail winds. I was able over the last few days to trigger the issue after the engine was running so it apparently had nothing to do with the starter per say.

So far the new version of aero/thrust-qbar_psf has not had any issues for me and I have had a report from a user who was having issues with this that the new version is working for him too. Since basically everyone other than a hand full of FDMs uses aero/qbar-psf in places where I am using aero/thrust-qbar_psf and this issue is not present for these other FDMs I suspect that there will no longer be an issue with this. But the problem is very intermittent so only time will tell.
hvengel
Retired

Postby hvengel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Well that didn't fix the issue since aero/qbar-psf also spikes when wind conditions are just right. IE. when u-aero-fps is moving between + and - values.

Not sure what to do about this.
hvengel
Retired

Previous

Return to Flight dynamics model