Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Flight dynamics model

Wing section map for YASim aircrafts

Good sims require good FDMs (the "thing" that makes an aircraft behave like an aircraft).

Wing section map for YASim aircrafts

Postby felipetallabs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:15 am

Hi.
I am Using FG for research and I need to know how to get a surface map of YASim aircraft wing sections. If you look at the property lsit, you can see the list of surfaces that form wing sections (for example there are 67 surfaces in the YASim J3 Cub, 1965), but you do not know where in the aircraft does that surface corresponds to, My questions is: Does anyone know how to see to which section does a specific surface belong to? and in what position?

Thanks
felipetallabs

Re: Wing section map for YASim aircrafts

Postby danielHL » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi,

for once, there is the yasim developer addon toolbox which visualizes the surface layout. See here. You can't find out the ID since it's not exported for each surface. But in the config menu of the addon you can display one parameter per surface, and maybe an x- or y-location can help to identify? I will ping Henning, the deveoloper of the addon, if he can display the surface ID in some way too.

Just out of interest, may I ask what kind of research you're trying to do using flightgear? Please also keep in mind that YASim has many limitations and can not compare to a VLM or panel code for aerodynamic results.

Cheers,
Daniel
danielHL / GVA0387 / D-FMPW / (UA83DAN)
danielHL

Callsign: UA83DAN, GVA0387
Version: git

Postby felipetallabs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:50 am

Hi Daniel
Thanks for the info. I am developing a Haptic device that conveys aerodynamic information to the Pilot in the form of sensory stimulation, the Idea is that the Pilot can "feel" the wings and be aware of the aerodynamic status of the aircraft, but before I try this in real aircraft I have to develop the proof of concept , Originally I was going to use X-plane 11 because it uses blade element theory for their FDM, but My laptop does not have the capacy for this so I will try with YASIm, I do not need it to be very precise, but I do need wings to be divided in diferent surfaces.

Cheers

Felipe
felipetallabs

Postby jsb » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi Felipe,

the structure of the property sub tree is maybe not very intuitive, I hacked down that stuff quite a while ago. Anyhow, everything you need should be avail.
Example: /fdm/yasim/model/masses/mass[i] you will find all mass points generated by Yasim from the geometry data in the XML
You should try the addon mentioned above, I just updated it. You can open its options dialog from the menubar and use the dropdown selector to select "_idx" which will display the index of each surface at its position.

HTH
Henning
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Postby felipetallabs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks Henning and Daniel,
the info in the property sub tree is very helpful. I have downloaded the developer toolbox addon files from sourceforge, but I do not know how to install them or where to locate them, I am using the 2018, 3.5 version, so everything is managed through the launcher software, let me know how to proceed,

thanks.

Felipe
felipetallabs

Postby jsb » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 am

I recommend upgrading to a newer version e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... se-2020.1/
However, the next official stable release is very close so if you are not in a hurry it might be worth waiting - I will update this post once I got a reply about the release plan.
The new launcher has a tab where you can simply add the addon folder and select addons (in-)active before launch. IIRC you download addons as zip or tar file and you simply unpack that to a folder you like and add that folder in the respective launcher tab.
Long time ago I put a stub article to the wiki http://wiki.flightgear.org/YASim_Development_Tools - unfortunately I did not fine the time to update it to a full documentation... sorry
If you are familiar with svn, you could use svn to sync from the repository into a local folder, which makes updates quite easy. If you never used svn before, just stick to downloading zip files and unpack them into your local folder ;)
jsb

Postby felipetallabs » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 am

Hi Henning,

I dowloaded the 2020 1.2 version and the toolbox, and it was working fine, but when I downloaded the new 1.3 version, the toolbox did not work properly, it was loading incomplete, you can`t see it properly, and the info regarding forces and masses is not loading. I went back and unistalled the 1.3 version and installed again again the 1.2 version but now the toolbox is not working with either. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? could be the updated version of the toolbox failing?, or maybe its unstable because I am using windows 10?, let me know what you think

thanks and regards
felipetallabs

Postby jsb » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi,
it should not depend on the OS, I am on Windows also. IIRC 2020.1.3 is a bugfix release and should be fine while 2020.2.x is the release candidate for the new LTS, there is still some bugfixing in this version but I think it is quite ok.
Anyhow, you can either go to %AppData%\Roaming\flightgear.org and have a look into fgfs.log (which might have tonns of log lines) or you open the FG launcher, go to the Settings tab and enable "Show debugging console" (recommended). On the Add-ons tab make sure the YASim development tools are still in the list and the checkbox at the begining of that line is selected.
Then launch FG again and have a look for Nasal errors or Addon errors a) at statup b) when you try to open the tools
jsb

Postby felipetallabs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 am

Hi,
thanks for the guidance, I have enable the debugging console in FG 1.3, there are no errors at startup aparently, but when I open the tools there seems to be an error, the message is the following:
Nasal runtime error: No such member: font mapper
at C:/Users/Asus/Desktop/toolbox/yasim.nas, line 339
called from: C;/Users/Asus/Desktop/toolbox/yasim.nas, line 371
called from: C;/Users/Asus/Desktop/toolbox/yasim.nas, line 397
called from: C;/Users/Asus/Desktop/toolbox/yasim.nas, line 526
called from: /sim/binding/menu/binding [118], line 1

do you think this is the problem?, is there any way to fix it? follow the link to see the image I see when I open the Devel toolbox.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... vt=2&sim=1

thanks

Felipe
felipetallabs

Postby jsb » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Ah... :/ The addon version is "too new" for the flightgear version you use (more precisely the Nasal scripts in fgdata) and I obviously missed to update the minimum version required in the addon metadata, sorry.

Are you familiar with development tools like git (version control system)?
Not sure if you are interested in testing the upcoming LTS (version 2020.2.x) which is still in the phase of bugfixing - there is no easy-to-install release package at the moment but you could get the latest binary at http://download.flightgear.org/builds/n ... ightly.exe plus you need to download a matching fgdata for which I recommend using git.
jsb

Postby felipetallabs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Thanks for the insight, I installed an older version of the add on, that was in the bin and it worked fine again with the FG 1.3 version,

cheers
felipetallabs

Return to Flight dynamics model