Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

[SOLVED] Terrain shaders are dark at the moment

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

[SOLVED] Terrain shaders are dark at the moment

Postby grtux » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi,

Getting fgdata from GIT ( more than 24 hours downloading :( ) , i can notice, at the moment most of the terrain shaders are getting dark ( no light ) but the city and any other model effect which are right.

That is mainly significant with the "terrain crop" which was in the past very nice.

What has happened with it.

I am using an NVIDIA GPU , which never gave me such ugly results.

Is it just me ?

Gérard
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Re: Terrain shaders are dark at the moment

Postby gral » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi Gérard

Can you post a screenshot please with different landcover, one with Material Shaders enabled and one without (no other shaders enabled)? There are some issues with older graphics card since a significant change in the shaders (see devel-list post 'Shader heads up'). With your screenshots I can see if it is the same issue like here.

Thanks- gral

btw. What do you mean with 'terrain crop' ? When you enable 'Material Shaders' and 'Crop Shader' you should get at least right colours/light for terrain where Crop Shader is used.
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby grtux » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Yes i mean Crop Shader , was perfect with an older version, is dark at the moment, no light , looks like to be the night.

Sorry i can't give any snapshot. The snapshot feature is broken.

Gérard
Last edited by Gijs on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:59 pm

grtux wrote:Yes i mean Crop Shader , was perfect with an older version, is dark at the moment, no light , looks like to be the night.

Oh! This is not the same issue here. Did you download fgdata only? To get the shaders working you need recent SimGear and FlightGear GIT because of some changes in default shader handling (but download should not take another 24 hours I hope).

-gral
gral

Postby grtux » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Yes was the last fgdata (Yesterday) with simgear and Flightgear, ( fortunately less difficult to get with a low speed connection line ) ) updated sync both yesterday.

Gérard
Last edited by Gijs on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm

When it’s really black night then the shader might be broken at all. Can you start with --loglevel= info and post your log chez http://pastebin.com/ ? And also detailed specs of your graphics card? Thanks, gral
gral

Postby grtux » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:55 am

Hi Gral,

first here the
GPU description ( glxinfo )

http://grtux.pagesperso-orange.fr/glxinfo.txt

you must notice that i am using an SLI architecture with with TWO Graphics card

Second the log-level info when loading FG

http://grtux.pagesperso-orange.fr/log-level_info.txt

AND some snapshots ( done with an external snapshot tool ) with Crop Texture and Landmass Effect ON/OFF

Now, let's see the same FG/SG version with some older effects copied from an old data

You may notice the effects are good, FG/SG is not involved with the diff, only the Efects/Shaders/Textures are the cause
Though, seems to me a bit darker, but not bad, than it was with some older FG/SG versions

Gérard

BTW: My GPU card should be considered being a medium card, was bought two years ago
Last edited by Gijs on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting, again...
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Ok, this looks like some of the new effects break origin crop effect or shaders at all.

I see in the log that you shift quality-level, does it depend on quality-level you use, or is cropland just black on every level when you activate crop effects? Is there a difference when both crop and landmass are activated or only crop? Another thing is that the black color with red dust only appears when a shader is completely broken. But I do not see any error about this in your log? Can you look once to the log when you click to the checkboxes if there is some new output (and post only this lines)?

Thanks for your help, gral

btw. I posted a merge request to separate the new effects from the crop effect. But just to say, I did no change to the origin crop effect or associated shader, I use only the same switch (checkbox) in the gui to activate my new effects.

btw2. Does anyone else have the same behaviour?
gral

Postby grtux » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48 pm

gral wrote:Ok, this looks like some of the new effects break origin crop effect or shaders at all.

I see in the log that you shift quality-level, does it depend on quality-level you use, or is cropland just black on every level when you activate crop effects?

No, the issue do not depend on quality level . i just give the right value to avoid the ugly edge with some terrains

gral wrote:Is there a difference when both crop and landmass are activated or only crop?

The ugly effect depends mainly on Crop "ON" , Landmass does not gives any significant modification

gral wrote:Another thing is that the black color with red dust only appears when a shader is completely broken.

Difficult to say, i should look at the terrain under in order to know which terrain has shader or not and if it is broken ( the shader) or not.

gral wrote: But I do not see any error about this in your log? Can you look once to the log when you click to the checkboxes if there is some new output (and post only this lines)?

There is not any new output with checkboxes ON/OFF

gral wrote:Thanks for your help, gral

btw. I posted a merge request to separate the new effects from the crop effect. But just to say, I did no change to the origin crop effect or associated shader, I use only the same switch (checkbox) in the gui to activate my new effects.

Not sure i'll be able to include quickly that update, as long as the Aircraft directory is not split out from fgdata, updating fgdata wants a lot of time and money ( to me, communication cost :( )

Regarding that testing process the best to me, would be to get the Effects/Shaders/Textures/Textures.high directory and materials xml file separately.

Gérard
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 pm

grtux wrote:
Not sure i'll be able to include quickly that update, as long as the Aircraft directory is not split out from fgdata, updating fgdata wants a lot of time and money ( to me, communication cost :( )

Regarding that testing process the best to me, would be to get the Effects/Shaders/Textures/Textures.high directory and materials xml file separately.

Gérard

Gerard,

In case you got fgdata by git and you don’t want to spend a lot of bandwith for this small update:

You don’t have to update the whole directory. There are two low cost merge requests prepared for you to pull in (takes only 5 secs):
1) go to your fgdata directory
2) type 'git checkout -b testeffects origin/master' (a new branch testeffects will be created on your local repo)
3) pull in the merge requests with 'git pull origin refs/merge-requests/39' and 'git pull origin refs/merge-requests/40'

Dangerous, with this pull your fgdata is 2 commits ahead of official repo! :wink:
When you want to go back to your original fgdata you type 'git checkout master'.

Otherwise when you want to update your fgdata without aircraft directory watch out for .gitignore.

-gral
gral

Postby grtux » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Gral,

You exactly answer my request.
I'll try out your GIT testeffects, and give you feedback.

Thanks

Gérard

EDIT:
Sorry can't get testeffects

after doing
git pull origin refs/merge-requests/39
I am running
fatal: Couldn't find remote ref refs/merge-requests/39
and
git pull origin refs/merge-requests/40
fatal: Couldn't find remote ref refs/merge-requests/40

i did previously
git checkout -b testeffects origin/master
successfully
Branch testeffects set up to track remote branch master from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'testeffects'
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 pm

grtux wrote:fatal: Couldn't find remote ref refs/merge-requests/39
and

Seems like you have another origin with no such merge request numbers. Maybe you have to 'git remote add origin git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git' when you are in your current directory 'fgdata'. When this does not work at all I will send you a PM to download some files for a 'hard update' finally, just let me know.

-gral
gral

Postby grtux » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:24 pm

gral wrote:
grtux wrote:fatal: Couldn't find remote ref refs/merge-requests/39
and

Seems like you have another origin with no such merge request numbers. Maybe you have to 'git remote add origin git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git' when you are in your current directory 'fgdata'.
-gral

Not working again,
git remote add origin git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git
run
fatal: remote origin already exists.

I am guessing if, my local git being built from
git clone git://mapserver.flightgear.org/fgdata
won't explain the issue.
Since I could' nt get it from git://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata.git several days downloading !.........? :(

OR waiting to be back at home ( i don't know exactly when ) , and using a high speed communication line.

gral wrote: When this does not work at all I will send you a PM to download some files for a 'hard update' finally, just let me know.
-gral

....... that would be the best way, if you don't mind, and if you want a feedback with my system configuration.
However it seems that i am alone to get these Shader issues, then my feedback won't be very significant, and not very productive for the community.

Thanks
Gérard
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby gral » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:09 pm

grtux wrote:I am guessing if, my local git being built from
git clone git://mapserver.flightgear.org/fgdata
won't explain the issue.

Oh, yes, it will! Mapserver GIT has no refs to my merge requests. Sorry for that, I forgot that we have different git clone possibilites, but only one repo with my merge requests. But I send you a PM with download link asap.
-gral
gral

Postby AndersG » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

grtux wrote:Not working again,
git remote add origin git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git
run
fatal: remote origin already exists.

Hi Gerard,

You could add the gitorious repository under a different name and use that in the pull commands.
Alternatively you could rename (git remote rename <old> <new>) your old origin remote and add the new one.
(This later option would make your branches tracking origin/master start downloading from gitorious, though. However, that should not be much of a problem.)

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Next

Return to Effects and shaders