Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Start with rocks

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Start with rocks

Postby gral » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Just to add a question about trees:
What are recent thoughts/recent development of trees? Does someone know if there is some development on tree code at all and where it is going to?
Thanks, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby gral » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm

I was adding a relief today and what do I see? Someone was here before me. Statto, is it you? (This very special relief will only be avaiable true "Enable Mountain Rescue Simulation Shader").

Cheers, gral
gral

Postby HHS » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:52 pm

I've seen this several times - looks great but a bit large.
Wow- the snow in your picture does indeed looks like real snow!
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby fredb » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 pm

I am plagued with computer issues since yesterday and I won't be able to merge last GIT request from gral in the near future. Erik, or someone else, don't hesitate to do it if you feel you can.
fredb

Postby gral » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 pm

fredb wrote:I am plagued with computer issues since yesterday and I won't be able to merge last GIT request from gral in the near future. Erik, or someone else, don't hesitate to do it if you feel you can.

But first I have to push another update to the merge request. Quality-level and relief are worked in but the normalmaps themself needs some updates now. I will leave a message here when merge request #30 is updated. Thanks!
gral

Postby gral » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Latest changes for better transitions and more herb/shrub/grass cover above forest. The reliefs in recent GIT code are not perfect yet, but included. I need better landcovering to test my shaders and I will definitely need more trees. Clouds of trees, woods, big woods.
-gral
gral

Postby gral » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 am

I added possibility to set a 'season color' in the effects now. Soon* you can do your own color test with this values in herbtundra/forest effects:

<season-red type="float">0.12</season-red>
<season-green type="float">0.86</season-green>
<season-blue type="float">0.22</season-blue>

This are the standard values for summer in the alps. Autumn could be something like 0.22 (red) 0.76 (green) 0.30 (blue), or maybe this colours show more tundra than herb for some region etc. etc. Try yourself what happens to the effect and the whole impression with simple color changes.

Thanks, gral

*the new files are merged to GIT the next days I think (see merge request #37 fgdata/master)
gral

Postby ot-666 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Looking forward to try the new version. Flying the Alps looks so much better since you started your task.

I hope you will continue your work on the other scenery parts.

All the best, Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Postby gluon » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:31 pm

Looks great!

I don't know how exactly you are creating the textures - it appears you're drawing them (think it said so in the forum). There very well made!

Anyhow, I have some photos of mainly mountain features I made throughout the last years specifically with textures in mind. Actually I wanted to create some textures for FG from them but never found the time. They consist mainly of rock, gravel, grass and shrub. I also have some top-down photos from crop and other stuff, though of varying quality.

Most were made with a decent 5 MP camera and (most) are orthogonal to the surfaces. Some of them were made from airplanes and from a balloon. Last year I made some close-up rock pictures in the alps that fully fill the entire picture. Parts of them could be patched together and probably would form some outstanding hi-res textures.

As I said their all made by me, there's no Copyright restrictions and I would be pleased to donate them if someone would like to work on textures. I only need a place to upload them. Their about 250 MB all in all and I'd upload them somewhere in a zip file.

Anyone interested?
gluon

Postby SkyWlf77 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:24 am

Gluon, I would love to host your textures on my website http://www.foss-media.org/index.php

It'll be necessary for me to modify them slightly to make sure they are seamless and sized/formatted correctly to work with FlightGear out-of-the-box and would need to be released under the GNU GPL v2.

My only problem at this point is receiving a 250MB file. My e-mail only handle 10MB max. I do use Pando for large file transfers, but I don't know if you do or are willing to. Otherwise, I am open to suggestions for file transfer mechanisms.

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby statto » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:41 pm

I am currently cleaning beta landcover data for north Switzerland. When it's done being cleaned, I will start a new thread on the scenery forum and post a download link to the shapefiles.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby gral » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 pm

statto wrote:I am currently cleaning beta landcover data for north Switzerland. When it's done being cleaned, I will start a new thread on the scenery forum and post a download link to the shapefiles.

Statto,
I sent you a PM with a link to my shapefiles. It is not cleaned up and I have no working landcovering toolchain at the moment, but maybe some of this older files are useful for you, I don’t know.

I hope after my work for some textures and new effects I will come back to help to improve shapefiles. There have been two projects for scenery last months, one is (or was) all the scenery near LSME/LSMA and another one all around UEST, a place to get lost :wink:

-gral
gral

Postby gral » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

gluon wrote:I don't know how exactly you are creating the textures - it appears you're drawing them (think it said so in the forum). There very well made!

Thanks, and yes, I am drawing the textures.

gluon wrote:As I said their all made by me, there's no Copyright restrictions and I would be pleased to donate them if someone would like to work on textures. I only need a place to upload them. Their about 250 MB all in all and I'd upload them somewhere in a zip file.

Anyone interested?

Yes, me :wink: and the whole community I think! Thank you very much for your offer. Just send me a PM, I have plenty of space for you to upload your files. And the texture server of SkyWlf77 is also a good place of course. We can also share the material with different galleries because we use the same software. Just choose the easiest way for you.

Thanks, gral
gral

Postby gral » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 am

I separated my effects/shaders now from the crop shader in the GUI. When my merge request #39 is merged in, the effects appears with checkbox 'Transition effects' in future. This step is needed because a) 'crop' is not a good name for what this effects are doing and b) you only get crop shaders with crop effects and not 'hidden' other transitions, hooking up on crop shader property in background.

Thanks, gral
gral

Postby vanosten » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi

Sorry for a quite basic question, but I am just not able to find an answer on the forums: where in the "GUI" (I guess "FSRun" is meant) can these settings be made? Actually I cannot find any of the new effects/shaders discussed in this forum (e.g. urban) in the GUI.
I use FG Data from GIT and Windows binary as of 5.10.2010 from (ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Win32/). However I cannot find any options in the Advanced/Rendering screen.

If it is not in the GUI: which file do I need to edit or which command line option should I choose?

Best regards ... Rick
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders