Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

More natural looking noise shader

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

More natural looking noise shader

Postby erik » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Realizing that the current Perlin-noise implementation works great for some situations but not for others I searched for different noise implementations which could be used for improving large scale land-class rendering. Then I came across Clover Noise which seems to be able to generate what I was hoping for and there is a GLSL implementation:

https://giters.com/ValgoBoi/clover-noise
Even better: "These implementations are free to use, as they are licensed under the MIT License."

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Re: More natural looking noise shader

Postby vnts » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:18 am

Great, it could be added to noise.frag I guess. :mrgreen:

It depends on how fast it is - and what exactly doesn't work with the current options. There are a whole bunch of different noise functions in noise.frag, including rather different voronoi type noise for domains. Perlin/simplex and other noise is used fine in photorealistic terrain creation for digital fine-art / movies.

I was thinking of trying worley noise for water caustics (in really shallow parts, and at close range) at some point for WS3, when the water shader gets addressed. Not sure if it would be noticeably better than some version of the wave formula.

erik wrote in Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:17 pm:different noise implementations which could be used for improving large scale land-class rendering.

I think one existing issue is that the noise scales are tuned too short when textures are stretched across really large distances in a few areas - a solution ftps is working on just involves using different scales based on the texture.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby erik » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:33 am

It might be a good idea to document the different noise types with a small image showing the result. I tend to find the name or the code rather theoretical when not accompanied by an image showing the distribution.

I'll see if I can add Clover-noise to FlitghGear somewhere in the coming weeks.

Update:
At least there is some documentation:
https://wiki.flightgear.org/Procedural_ ... rlin_noise

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:35 am

Thorsten

Postby erik » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:40 am

Ah, it was hidden! :)
In the mean time I've experimented with Clover-noise and it turns out to be extremely resource heavy to the point that it is unusable for real-time simulation. Sadly.

Erik
erik

Return to Effects and shaders