Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Shaders for Airport Sceneries

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Shaders for Airport Sceneries

Postby flc972 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:41 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to use shaders with airport sceneries.

1. Are the shaders available for aircrafts work on airport sceneries?
2. I tried with the normal shader (model-combined-deferred) with a normal map from Blender -> the texture is darkened. I tried with an inverted normal map (Gimp) -> the texture is darkened.

Thanks in advance
flc972

Version: 2020.3.8

Re: Shaders for Airport Sceneries

Postby vnts » Fri May 21, 2021 12:59 pm

This might be better put in the effects and shaders section, as no one has responded yet.

I don't know about the scenery object interface to effects when designing airport scenery (with WED?), yet. 3d objects like buildings should use the model shader by default?, and these should support normal maps?

Ground surfaces: If you are working on runways, there is a separate shader - this uses the regional definitions interface based on material names so you can override it with global improvements, or regional improvements, or even regional definitions for specific airports if you wanted to. Looking at data/Materials-base.xml it seems line features are defined there, using lfeat.eff which inherits from effects/runway.eff. Runway.eff supports a normal map. The related textures are in data/Texture/Runway. You can browse files & sub-folders within FGData online here: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... next/tree/

It might help to say what exactly you are trying to do first.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby Johan G » Fri May 21, 2021 1:51 pm

vnts wrote in Fri May 21, 2021 12:59 pm:This might be better put in the effects and shaders section [...]

Have moved the topic.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby flc972 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 am

@vnts thanks for your answer.

I'm creating terminal buildings and other assets (hangars, seats...). Some models are low poly (for performance) so with their normal maps, from the high poly models, they will look better.
flc972

Version: 2020.3.8

Return to Effects and shaders