Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Enhanced flight vision systems - Shader Effects

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Enhanced flight vision systems - Shader Effects

Postby Kaosiia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of urgent questions pertaining to my research. I am trying to have the enhanced flight vision systems (EFVS) display on the HUD. I figure in order to get it displaying how i want i have to adjust
a. grey factor
b. black factor
c. gamma
d. brightness
and make use of night vision. These properties are found under sim/rendering/als-filters

My first question is how do i adjust these factors? I notice that the changes i make to grey factor, doesn't register on flightgear. For example, if i change grey factor to 1.5, it resets itself back to 0. Is there an xml or nasal file i will have to edit?

My second question has to do with the property offset-distance. I would like for the EFVS to display at a certain distance from the runway... for example, if i wanted the EFVS to display at 12statute miles or 3 statute miles, is the property for that - offset-distance? If it is not, what property could give me this?

Thanks and i look forward to a response!!
Kaosiia

Re: Enhanced flight vision systems - Shader Effects

Postby The epic chicken » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 pm

i'm not sure but the filters should stay there even if you close the rendering window
In Thrust We Trust
The epic chicken

Callsign: cva1920
Version: 2020.3.9

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 am

I am trying to have the enhanced flight vision systems (EFVS) display on the HUD.

At the moment you can't do this just for the HUD - as for adjusting the factors, there's a GUI menu to do it.
Thorsten

Postby Kaosiia » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 am:
I am trying to have the enhanced flight vision systems (EFVS) display on the HUD.

At the moment you can't do this just for the HUD - as for adjusting the factors, there's a GUI menu to do it.

ok, i was able to get the shaders to display the way i want. the link will take you to a screenshot of it. https://imgur.com/a/OSDDW6L

Now, i want to create different views, such that at different statute miles, the runway comes into view. So in this way, the pilot will have different visual scans. For example, setting the EFVS to come up at 1SM, at 1.5 SM, you shouldnt see the runway but at 1SM, the runway should come into view. or setting the EFVS to come up at 12 SM, then at an offset distance of 3SM, you should be able to see the runway..I hope this makes sense?

At first i thought using the --METAR tag and setting the visibility term to the required statute miles would do this, for example a METAR tag --metar="XXXX 012345Z 00000KT 1SM CLR A2992" and --offset-distance=1.5 should have the runway not showing but if --off-set distance=0.5, the runway should show as EFVS is in range....but now i am not so sure this is how you go about it.

Does anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

Thanks!
Kaosiia

Postby icecode » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:49 pm

I don't know what EFVS or SM mean, but In shaders you can color pixels based on their distance to the viewer. You can also set the visibility of the whole scene with Z and Shift+Z (if Atmospheric Light Scattering is disabled).
icecode

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm

SM is likely Statute Miles... 5280feet...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 pm

You can also set the visibility of the whole scene with Z and Shift+Z (if Atmospheric Light Scattering is disabled).

Actually AW has to be disabled not ALS, but the IR for instance ignores fogging somewhat.

Dependent on what you actually want, you can always pass a parameter of your choice to the Shader and use that as 'the visibility', it doesn't have to be the real one.
Thorsten

Postby Kaosiia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:15 am

Thorsten wrote in Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:43 pm:
You can also set the visibility of the whole scene with Z and Shift+Z (if Atmospheric Light Scattering is disabled).

Actually AW has to be disabled not ALS, but the IR for instance ignores fogging somewhat.

Dependent on what you actually want, you can always pass a parameter of your choice to the Shader and use that as 'the visibility', it doesn't have to be the real one.

Ok let me try and explain better because i dont think my question is understood. I currently have my --offset-distance=3 and --metar=XXXX 012345Z 00000KT 1SM A2992, i also have --disable-real-weather-fetch

Below is a link to a picture of what that looks like.
https://imgur.com/a/BB4Iq5j

Now my confusion is since my visibility is set to 1 statute miles (as seen in the metar definition), the runway is not supposed to be showing at an off-set distance of 3, so the pilot shouldn't be able to see the runway till they get closer to about 1sm out. I even added --visibility-miles=1, but still, i am still able to see the runway at an offset-distance =3 or even greater. This should not be the case. It seems as though visibility isnt working for me. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thats the problem i was referring to in my last message. My visibility isn't working as depending on what visibility i set, and the off set distance, the pilot should not be able to see the runway if it isn't in range (depending on how far out the visibility is set) I hope my issue makes more sense now.

***lastly in debug/browse internal properties/enviroment/ground-visibility , mine is set to 16000m. Is there a way to change this value? it seems as though the things i did up above are not changing this value. I would like to change it without doing it manually on flightgear. I want flightgear to start with pre-defined values I set.

Thank you.
Kaosiia

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 am

For some reason I can't see your image at all, that makes it hard to understand the issue.

Anyway, are you running BW (Basic Weather) or AW (Advanced Weather)? - only the first lets you set visibility.

Also, if you pause FG and use the property browser to change /environment/visibility-m - what happens?
Thorsten

Postby Kaosiia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 pm

that is the image link below.

https://imgur.com/a/HThJrRj

I am using Basic Weather .

This is what happens when i change /enviroment/visibility-m to 1600m (1 statute mile) with an offset-distance=3

https://imgur.com/IQILNpf

If you can see both images, in the first image you can see the runway (even though i set the visibility as --visibility-miles =1 in the command prompt). So my parameter isn't being recognized by flightgear.

The second image is when i manually changed the value using the property browser. Though i dont know why that blue outline of what looks like the runway is showing.

Questions
1. I would like to set the visibility before starting flightgear so flightgear starts up with the correct visibility already set. That way i can try different visibilities without having to manually change it using the property browser.
2. Do you know what that blue outline of the runway (seen in picture 2) is? How do i get rid of it?

Thank you and i hope this is clearer now.
Kaosiia

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Kaosiia wrote in Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 pm:2. Do you know what that blue outline of the runway (seen in picture 2) is? How do i get rid of it?

What airport is it? Maybe thats multible placed blue taxi lights. The tool chain has often set the blue lights multible times.
That means, you will see only one lights on every spot, but it look way brighter as one would do.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Thorsten » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 am

If you can see both images,

As I said, for some reason I can see none. So more links to the same site where I don't see anything don't exactly help.

I would like to set the visibility before starting flightgear so flightgear starts up with the correct visibility already set. That way i can try different visibilities without having to manually change it using the property browser.

It takes quite a bit longer to start FG than to quickly change a property, but you can set properties via commandline, so I'd try --prop:/environment/visibility-m=XXX
Thorsten

Postby Kaosiia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm

WoodSTokk wrote in Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:16 pm:
Kaosiia wrote in Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 pm:2. Do you know what that blue outline of the runway (seen in picture 2) is? How do i get rid of it?

What airport is it? Maybe thats multible placed blue taxi lights. The tool chain has often set the blue lights multible times.
That means, you will see only one lights on every spot, but it look way brighter as one would do.

It is airport = KOCF and runway = 36. Is it blue taxi lights?
Last edited by Kaosiia on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaosiia

Postby Kaosiia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 am:
If you can see both images,

As I said, for some reason I can see none. So more links to the same site where I don't see anything don't exactly help.

I would like to set the visibility before starting flightgear so flightgear starts up with the correct visibility already set. That way i can try different visibilities without having to manually change it using the property browser.

It takes quite a bit longer to start FG than to quickly change a property, but you can set properties via commandline, so I'd try --prop:/environment/visibility-m=XXX

Oh! I apologize. I thought it was just that image in particular.

Also, thank you so much! that commandline option worked.
Kaosiia

Postby WoodSTokk » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 am

Have now a look at the airport in night condition and it looks like your filter tint it blue.
In your picture we can also see the PAPI to the left of the runway and it looks also blue.
Right of the runway is a taxiway, thats realy blue lights. The other lights are the runway lights tinted in blue.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Next

Return to Effects and shaders