Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

HUD shader for parallax correction

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: HUD shader for parallax correction

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm

I'm not sure what your problem is, but please stop trying to ridicule others because they happen to have a different opinion on whether proceeding carefully is a good idea or not. Thanks.

(You're mixing two issues - the original one and your first comparison - which is not really relevant because there was a long period 3d graphics without shaders in computing, so it's evidently possible to have one but not the other).
Thorsten

Postby icecode » Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Your comment on my comparison completely missed my point (probably on purpose), so excuse me for having a laugh at your expense. :)
icecode

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Feel free if you must - there's little else to laugh in these times after all :D
Thorsten

Postby amue » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

The stuttering with parallax correction in Canvas looks in fact really bad.
What causes this de-sync? It seems the view position for computing the parallax correction is different to the view position used for rendering the scene. Is it a problem to use the same view position?
Anyway, I think the shader is the correct place for this feature. It's just the right tool for the job.

I believe the shader would make it easier to write the Canvas part of the HUD. Indeed, HUD elements position are typically given as pitch/yaw angles. With this shader, there is a linear relation between pitch/yaw angles and Canvas coordinates.

If I understand this correctly, it means lines in the HUD (e.g. in the pitch ladder) are not lines but curves in the Canvas texture then? This seems odd to me.
amue

Previous

Return to Effects and shaders