Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Skydome dithering

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Skydome dithering

Postby icecode » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:39 pm

While working on shadow mapping I've been investigating dithering and its applications. It was mainly used back in the day to display high bit depth images in low bit depth displays, although it can still be used today for that same thing. The skydome suffers from banding because the framebuffer only has a bit depth of 8 per color, while floats in the shader have a much higher resolution, so some loss of precision is happening. This can be prevented by randomly rounding up and down to the next available color in the display. The random factor used can be as simple as a one-liner noise function or some fancy blue noise texture. I just used the rand2D() from Thorsten's noise functions as it outputs a good enough result.

This could be done as a post-processing effect so it affects every object in the scene, but banding is mostly perceived only on the skydome, so this is a good enough fix for now.

Before:

After:

And the code to add just before gl_FragColor and after filter_combined() in skydome-ALS.frag:
Code: Select all
float dither_noise = rand2D(gl_FragCoord.xy);
color += mix(-0.5/255.0, 0.5/255.0, dither_noise);
icecode

Version: next

Re: Skydome dithering

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 pm

It took a minute or two to see the difference but when I saw it while very subtle it really helps.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Isaak » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 pm

I 've seen banding appear in the skydome quite often (especially at dusk or dawn), and this looks like a good solution for it. Nice work!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby icecode » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:06 pm

It took a minute or two to see the difference but when I saw it while very subtle it really helps.

It depends a lot on the brightness of your monitor or darkness in your room. I usually keep my monitor very bright so it's very noticeable in my case.

I've also thought of adding that code to filter_combined() instead so it affects every object, but that's Thorsten's call if he wants to merge the changes.
icecode

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:11 pm

I approve of course - seems so simple to do, and yet it never occurred to me... I'm not sure - if you have commit rights you can put it in yourself, otherwise I'll try to do it (soonish).

I see the banding for the skydome, I'm less sure about other elements - do you have a comparison?
Thorsten

Postby icecode » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:51 pm

I don't have commit rights but if you prefer I can do a merge request.

Everything has banding since shaders do their calculations with more precision than what the framebuffer allows. It's there but it's much harder to notice since there aren't many objects with plain gradients like the skydome. Although we can modify the skydome only if you prefer.
icecode

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I guess the cleanest implementation is to put it into the post-processing filter, so let's do that, and a merge request would be fastest for me since I can just okay that via the SF web interface, otherwise I need to update my repo copy on the right computers etc...
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Everything has banding since shaders do their calculations with more precision than what the framebuffer allows.

I see what looks like banding in transparency (glass). Maybe that is something different? It would be nice if this helps to clear that up.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Return to Effects and shaders