Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Afterburner flame and ALS-FlameTrail

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Afterburner flame and ALS-FlameTrail

Postby jam007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm trying to make a afterburner effect following this Wiki article. And the object ALS-FlameTrail is missing. Searching aircraft files I understand that this is the actual flame object. But the aircraft’s that I checked (F-15, F-14, Viggen) are all complicated with a lot of possible files to choose from. If anyone could point to a simple set of files that I need to implement the effect it would be a great help.
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Afterburner flame and ALS-FlameTrail

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Ah, Richard made that example a bit too F-15 specific - the actual object in the generic bounding box is called 'Bounding_box'. Just typically people use their own to fit the flame into a nozzle (which requires some extra trickery), a use case like a rocket engine where you just attach the flame is fairly rare.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm

jam007 wrote in Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 pm:I'm trying to make a afterburner effect following this Wiki article. And the object ALS-FlameTrail is missing. Searching aircraft files I understand that this is the actual flame object. But the aircraft’s that I checked (F-15, F-14, Viggen) are all complicated with a lot of possible files to choose from. If anyone could point to a simple set of files that I need to implement the effect it would be a great help.

Thorsten is right the object should be "Bounding_box". I've amended the article accordingly.

For reference the object that is being referred to in the Wiki can be seen in F-15/Models/Effects/Engines/AfterBurner.xml - specifically

This is loading the als-flame.xml model and naming it as ALS-FlameTrail as a model. This model itself contains the Bounding_box.
Code: Select all
    <model>
        <path>als-flame.xml</path>
        <name>ALS-FlameTrail</name>
    </model>

As an aside

To find this "grep -r" (linux) or findstr /s are your friends; also MSVC and many other tools have a find a string recursively in files type of function. You're right, it is too dull to search through lots of files, that's what these tools are for.

e.g. in a windows command prompt.

I:\fgaddon\trunk\Aircraft\F-15>findstr /s "ALS-Flam" *.*
Models\Effects\Engines\AfterBurner.xml: <name>ALS-FlameTrail</name>
Models\Effects\Engines\AfterBurner.xml: <object-name>ALS-FlameTrail</object-name>
Models\Effects\Engines\AfterBurner.xml: <object-name>ALS-FlameTrail</object-name>
Richard

Version: Git

Postby jam007 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Richard wrote in Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm:Thorsten is right the object should be "Bounding_box". I've amended the article accordingly.

Thanks! It works now! :)
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Effects and shaders