Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Flightgear: Photorealistic Rendering

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Flightgear: Photorealistic Rendering

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm not bothered, but it seems that others want the eye candy!!! All I want is a real (or as near as) sim'............... Eye candy can be made by buying less acurate programs that will remain nameless!!! I personally want a program that simulates CORRECTLY not something that just looks good!!! If those peolpe want that (eye candy) don't come to flightgear and expect good looks over REAL simulation...SIMULATION is what it is....making the real life...come to life...sometimes at the expense of graphics. When I'm up in the sky at FL380 I don't need fluffy clouds. What Icurrently get from FG is exactly what I see from a plane window in real life. But some want more than that....FG is perfect now tweek it a little avery release but stay within the parameters of a "NORMAL" machine not in the parameters of a rich few that can afford a machine of $000s sorry but FG is for ALL not the FEW
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby CaptB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm all for eyecandy, as long as there's an option to turn off whatever sucks the life out of my hardware if need be.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 am

I'm not bothered, but it seems that others want the eye candy!!

Yes, so do I in fact. I spend a sizable chunk of my FG time working on rendering, and I actually own a 3000 $ gaming laptop, because real time 3d rendering is my hobby and I spend a lot of time with it, so I want to be able to enjoy it properly.

The thing I'm not getting is - why is that a problem for you? How exactly does that take away from your experience?

Do you think I would go and work on more realistic flight dynamics of an airliner I don't care about if I would not work on rendering? The fact of the matter is that I work on things I find interesting - that happens to be good visuals of the scene, that happens to be weather, and that also happens to be systems and flight dynamics of the Space Shuttle. That doesn't happen to be any airliner operation, I find them the most boring planes. But others like them, and that's just cool with me, we don't all have to like spacecraft.

I would suggest if you want better simulation of anything at the expense of graphics, switch off the graphics, use the old terrain (all developers are usually very concerned about compatibility with old hardware and keeping old features alive if possible) and improve things that are important to you - and stop complaining that others improve things that are important to them.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Effects and shaders