Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Wildfire retardant and foam animation

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Wildfire retardant and foam animation

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 am

Is there a way to override the texture used for the wildfire retardant and foam drop. I'm talking about the animation of the retardant or foam that is left on the ground. It is really outdated and I am willing to work on it if I can understand how it is created. I would even consider a shader substitute!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Wildfire retardant and foam animation

Postby AndersG » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 am

There is probably no convenient way to override it but a contribution of a replacement would be welcome.
The models and particle systems are in
Models/Effects/Wildfire/
in FGDATA and the XML files to update for the retardant and foam on the ground are retardant.xml and foam.xml.

Do consider that they can occur in very large numbers so any replacement need to be cheap to render (which the current AC3D models with animations might not be, btw.). A shader rendering a single quad might be a good option. It should probably (and preferably) use alpha-test if the ground should show through rather than being translucent as translucents come at an extra cost and with ordering problems.

The fire particle system would also be a good candidate for replacement with a shader, perhaps on a cross of two quads like the trees are with a third at the base so that it looks ok from above. I suppose translucency is unavoidable for this one, though.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Return to Effects and shaders