Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Glass

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Glass

Postby dtlan201 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm

I still don't understand the steps to "flip the vector"
dtlan201

Callsign: MIA0774
Version: 3.7

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 am

make the inside of the interior glass the side that the rain shows on and then make the outside of the external glass the side that the rain shows on... only one side can be active...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dtlan201 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:46 am

I found it on AC3d and now I can see from inside but new problem is the texture is unchange.
dtlan201

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:21 am

what do you mean by "the texture is unchange"?? what texture where? the rain drops?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dtlan201 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58 am

I mean the rain drop aren't fall into the surface of the windshield. Another question is how can the
Code: Select all
environment/aircraft-effects/splash-vector-x,y or z
change when aircraft moving?
dtlan201

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:02 am

This is all documented in the wiki - please just refer to the guidelines there (hint: It's not 'another' question, it's related).
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 pm

See the wiki section ALS technical notes#Rain (perm).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:56 pm

I thought the wiki was down? Apparently not!
On another topic, does the rain-on-the-runway work with snow?
http://wiki.flightgear.org/ALS_technica ... ain_effect
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:06 am

On another topic, does the rain-on-the-runway work with snow?

If it's freezing rain yes, if it's really snow no (the shader probes rain-norm and not snow-norm). Also, it only works if the runway is wet, not if it's snowy, because the rain splashes on the runway are distortions of the water film reflection - so if there's no water film simulated, they're absent.
Thorsten

Postby massima » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 am

I've just view the page of the wiki, ALS will carry a lot of interesting features, will they be all available in the next stable release? I think they must be implemented in each single airplane to get them working.
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 pm

All features described in the wiki will work with 3.6. Many of the features rolled out since 3.4 are optional effects to enhance the visuals of models, so they can be used by the aircraft maintainers or not, and they can be customized by airplane maintainers or not. This is the same with any other model-specific effect (normal maps, reflection maps, lightmaps,...).
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm

if i'm understand this last statement, you are saying that if one person is in a C172P and it has everything implemented and someone else is at the same place at the same time but in a craft that has few or none of these features implemented, the other person won't see things like rain splashed on the water puddles, or even rain on the windows?

it would seem that there should be a way that these things would be handled by the sim and all craft would see them... even a walker or motor vehicle or maybe even a balloon... just thinking aloud, though...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 pm

It sounds much like you are interested in sending data files over MP to be installed on users computers that don't happen to have that data.

Personally, I am glad that MP only sends properties that affect the things I have installed and have control of.

Last thing I want is to make an enemy in forum and then meet them in the air where they have the potential to send me some nasal that rewrites my file structure without me having anything to defend against that.

To sum up: It would be an enormous network load. It would be potentially dangerous.

I hope this point becomes more obvious as it is thought about.
Thanks
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:35 am

clrCoda wrote in Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 pm:Last thing I want is to make an enemy in forum and then meet them in the air where they have the potential to send me some nasal that rewrites my file structure without me having anything to defend against that.

i don't think this is possible... only if you already have the code in place on your machine can this happen... at least from what i've read and understood... there is no code transfer between MP participants... only numbers in specific property tree fields...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:44 am

Wkitty, seriously read the message. This is an IF situation. He doesnt want the feature and that is an example why not
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders