Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

ALS landing lights

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: ALS landing lights

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:21 pm

The JA37 (version 3.104) from https://sites.google.com/site/fghangar/, just auto-start the plane and it will turn on the ALS landing light per default.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Thorsten » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Okay, I see what you mean. It doesn't seem to be anything shader-side - I can only get the weird behavior just after startup, as soon as I re-center the view even once (mouse right-click) it's all back to normal. So this must have to do with the way the cockpit view is initialized, which gets the view manager to transmit weird offsets, and once this behavior is reset it's fine again.

I guess directly writing into <current-view> from aircraft-set is something you should just not do (or do right, not sure whether this would work) - this is what seems to create the inconsistent state.

The cone is so big in size that it cannot come out the front canopy without illuminating parts of the canopy.

There's really no cone - it's just a circle drawn in screen coordinates. It can't be expected to know that your plane is your plane unless you tell it. There is a distance cut to get rid of the worst effects on the panel, but the recommended procedure is to use model-interior to render the inside of the plane (which comes with your set of lightmaps, grain overlays, shadows etc.) and you won't see any light on that ever (it's also faster because it never does any fog computations).
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Roger, thanks for looking into it.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Okay, I can now confirm that setting the field of view inside the current-view is what causes the problems, it also made the disc larger. Even if I did it from nasal when the sim starts up the problem is there.

So in order to fix this, I just set a timer of half a second, and then set the field of view, and that worked. :)
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Lydiot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Is there a way to apply this to airplane models as a user? I tried to enter the code on the previous page into for example 707-common.xml., but that didn't work. That was after trying it on 707-set.xml but then the model wouldn't load at all.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:03 am

Got it to work once on the 737 by just turning it on in the property tree. Second time it did nothing!?
Lydiot

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Shader quality level? It's not supported on lowest setting.
Thorsten

Postby Lydiot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:31 pm:Shader quality level? It's not supported on lowest setting.

Thanks. You rock! Problem solved.

For anyone else reading this: I think playing around with settings in general may in some instances "reset" shader settings (I have mine set to custom).
Lydiot

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

You have to have Landmass fully to the right, as far as I know, at least.
At least, it works for me with only Landmass.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Lydiot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:57 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm:You have to have Landmass fully to the right, as far as I know, at least.
At least, it works for me with only Landmass.

Yep, that's where I had it. But then I was messing about with a few other things, and ended up toggling custom shader settings (box) and that reset them.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Another question:

What is the status of ALS landing lights versus fog versus background?

For example, I tried both the various CAT X presets in the weather dialog, as well as the "early morning fog" preset. In all cases, but to different degrees, the background/buildings light up when the light is on. But it does so in a somewhat strange way. The best way I can describe it is that it reminds me of the way runway lights were visible in the same conditions with ALS on in earlier versions of FG (if I remember correctly - and thanks for fixing that!)

So is what I'm seeing what others are seeing, or is there something I need to tweak on my end?

PS: I'll try to post a screencap shortly....

Thorsten wrote in Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:31 pm:Shader quality level? It's not supported on lowest setting.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Lydiot

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 am

It's the art deco mode
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 am

Thorsten

Postby Lydiot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 am

Thanks. I read the section on ALS secondary lights, and now I read the section you linked to. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to, but I guess it's the transition level setting. So I maxed it out and I'm still wondering what I should see in its current implementation.

Here are my current settings, and what's interesting is the difference between night and day. Daytime seems to work better once I'm on land since the "discoloration" of the ground is the same as the fog, so it makes sense. But during night time it makes less sense, I think.

Any thoughts?
Lydiot

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders