Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Rembrant light problems

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Rembrant light problems

Postby wlbragg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 am

ALS I get nice bloomed and beamed light effects.
Rembrant, it all fails

Is Rembrant still a viable rendering scheme or is there something wrong with my setup?

This is from next git a week or two ago.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: Rembrant light problems

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 am

Maybe one of the Rembrandt users wants to comment, my guess is that the issue is that these are not Rembrandt lights (which require a separate declaration in the model xml) but just generic things which appear as lights because they have an emissive color channel set - and Rembrandt doesn't handle them too well.
Thorsten

Re: Rembrant light problems

Postby ludomotico » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 am

As Thorsten says, these models are just not prepared for Rembrandt. To be Rembrandt-compatible, you have to define the light sources in the XML. Under other systems (ALS/default), you define lightmaps, textranslates or emmisive colors. Using one of these tricks in the other light system creates weird effects, as your snapshots show. You can define a XML that selects the right effect according to the light system in use, as some aircrafts do, but this requires some work and tests.

Hence, since we have models made long before Rembrandt was available and some modelers (me, for example) cannot use Rembrandt and thus are not providing Rembrandt support in their models, you'll find hundreds of models that do not look right under Rembrandt.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Return to Effects and shaders