Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Trying to get shadows...

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Trying to get shadows...

Postby Thorsten » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 pm

But anyway I don't have commit access to the official repo so I can experiment as much as I want on my sandbox.

Just quickly:

I do not want to give you the impression that what rendering goes to the repository is my decision - I have a large say as far as ALS is concerned since I dumped a lot of work into it, but since there hasn't been anyone maintaining the classic renderer (or Rembrandt for that matter) for a long while, getting your experiments added there might be easier.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry to have to be short again, I'm somewhat sick at the moment and not feeling up to solving rendering issues...

Separating the phong shading terms. Either via a single shader and a uniform that says which term needs to be outputed or one shader per term, but they need to be separated.

As I said, the ALS shaders are pretty streamlined, but I have one version which is separable, i.e. contains all atmosphere-rendering information in blocks that you can include independently. I'll make that available to you over the next days (it's not released and also not GPL) so that you can have a clear picture of what the operations are.

Basically ALS computes a lot of geometry to get the light for a pixel (where is the pixel in relation to the sun, the atmosphere and the relevant cloud layers?), so separating ambient and diffuse is not good performance-wise, because you might end up doing the geometry twice. Though at the moment I don't see a smart solution either.
Thorsten

Postby icecode » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Sorry to have to be short again, I'm somewhat sick at the moment and not feeling up to solving rendering issues...

No pressure at all, we are not in a rush. Get well soon.

As I said, the ALS shaders are pretty streamlined, but I have one version which is separable, i.e. contains all atmosphere-rendering information in blocks that you can include independently. I'll make that available to you over the next days (it's not released and also not GPL) so that you can have a clear picture of what the operations are.

That would be really useful, thank you.
icecode

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Took longer than expected, but see your PM.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Effects and shaders