Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Shader requests

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Shader requests

Postby i4dnf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm

That's already in 2.6.0, along with changing the surface appearance when wet.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby OSuKaRuXD » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Heat distorsion (even generated by superficial ambient heat as generated by reactors exhaust [ i think Toanphuc sugested this already])
Also Windshield weather effects (like rain water deformations[also with realistic sound], frost, light disperson...)

Examples:
Imagehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/code20photog/4374709780/in/pool-1218514@N24Image
Canon EOS-5D Mark II - EF 600mm f/4 L IS USM - iso100 - f/5 1/800 sec - Michael Grobe Image
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4CCZn45BoE[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5K92Lq6t38[/youtube]

if i knew to program in GLSL... :3
OSuKaRuXD

Version: 3.5.0

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:20 am

Now here is one: Snow shader. It makes snow in the air form realistic looking flakes when viewed up close and adds snow below the snow falling which can be pink and glistens and also can be pushed away by plows and flattened by skis on the DHC-6. Is it possibls?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 am

I think some parts yes, other parts maybe, but not as shaders.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:20 am:It makes snow in the air form realistic looking flakes when viewed up close...

You might want to think that over. When would you be close enough even to see inch wide flakes? Would it be worth the performance toll? :roll: :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:20 am

and adds snow below the snow falling which can be pink and glistens and also can be pushed away by plows and flattened by skis on the DHC-6. Is it possibls?

Volumetric snow which is movable, compresses etc. sure is possible... but hardly in real time. You can render pretty still images though :-) It's a flight simulation we're working on, not a snow simulation - spending 99.9% of the framerate to simulate a snow layer seems a bad idea to me.
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 am

That "ski track" functionality could be part of a general "wheels displace ground features*" shader.

*earth, water
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Johan G » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Yes, but if it is going to be persistent even only to you it would probably have to be even more expensive than the contrails. A similar but not persistent effect can be seen as the bow waves off the carriers.

At the other hand the contrails probably have room for optimization.

@legoboyvdlp: Adding a snow "wave" in front of plow that is just a model should be no problem, leaving a heap of snow for a while, as for example a submodel (in essence till the end of your session), might not be a problem either. It should be possible to do.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Bjoern » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Johan G wrote in Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:38 pm:Yes, but if it is going to be persistent even only to you it would probably have to be even more expensive than the contrails. A similar but not persistent effect can be seen as the bow waves off the carriers.

Define "persistent". I don't necessarily want to have this all over the FG globe forever and ever, but see it for five minutes at best. Or less. If it can't be done efficiently, I ultimately don't want it in the simulator.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Bjoern wrote in Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 pm:Define "persistent".

Touché. :wink:
Bjoern wrote in Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 pm:...for five minutes at best. Or less.

Ah, that should not be impossible. :D
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Could somebody figure out how to make a water reflection shader? I tried, but it didn't work By reflection, by the way, I mean this:
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 am

I think I commented elsewhere that water hardly ever looks like this and you moreover you can almost never see this from a plane because it's a shallow angle effect, the way FSX and X-plane used this is vastly overdone and unrealistic, and so I think this has a very bad pain to gain ratio.

Translation - I have no plans to add this to the ALS framework.
Thorsten

Postby erik » Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 am

Thorsten wrote in Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 am:I think I commented elsewhere that water hardly ever looks like this and you moreover you can almost never see this from a plane because it's a shallow angle effect, the way FSX and X-plane used this is vastly overdone and unrealistic, and so I think this has a very bad pain to gain ratio

Amen.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu May 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 am:I think I commented elsewhere that water hardly ever looks like this and you moreover you can almost never see this from a plane because it's a shallow angle effect, the way FSX and X-plane used this is vastly overdone and unrealistic, and so I think this has a very bad pain to gain ratio.

Translation - I have no plans to add this to the ALS framework.

Alright, well, maybe not quite so mirror-like, but still, some reflection would be nice, especially for seaplanes.
perhaps like this

It's not quite so poetc as the first one, but it still reflects.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Johan G » Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Split off some posts related to adding redout and blackout effects due to g-force to an aircraft to a new topic: Adding redout and blackout.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Catalanoic » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Alright, well, maybe not quite so mirror-like, but still, some reflection would be nice, especially for seaplanes.
We need some short-distance mirror-like reflections, nice to see it in small developed harbours, flying close to ships, lakes (is awesome to see it with calm water) and big buildings near to water. I support the idea!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders