Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Autopilot and route manager

A320-211 flight path during ILS approach is not precise  Topic is solved

Designing a stable autopilot is one of the hardest things. Need help?

Re: A320-211 flight path during ILS approach is not precise  

Postby gierschi@flightgear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Post by legoboyvdlp » 21 Sep 2017, 11:35
TBH, I don't think this is the right aircraft for scientific research: I completely agree with what Thorsten said.

But which aircraft is suitable? As I mentioned before, the most important things for me are a good simulation of the wind influence on the aircraft (that means the aerodynamic behavior), that the model JSBSim is used, that it is a passenger airplane which is still used in reality and that the automatic landing system works as precise as possible. And according to my experience the A320-family is not the best solution.

Some month ago I've invited A320 pilots to my institute for testing flights/approaches through implemented wind fields simulated with a CFD model. They also gave me the feedback that the flight experience is not realistic independent of the used wind fields. They told me the joystick for controlling the aircraft was to sensitive but the main problem was that the flight behavior of the A320-211 was not comparable to real life.

To sum up, I would like to say that the precision of the automatic landing system of the A320-family and the flight behavior is not as good as it should be to do a publication out of my investigations and that's too bad. Therefore i am still looking for a better plane.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
gierschi@flightgear

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes... I suppose that the A320-family is the closest you'll find...
Why don't you try the Boeing 737-800YV? github.com/YV3399/737-800YV

The systems aren't great, but the flight characteristics are pretty good.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Octal450 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

A320-family is very unrealistic, as I'd told you that. That is the reason I created mine.

You can pull (middle click) the knobs to go to selected speed/heading, and push(left-click) for managed. Managed requires the MCDU to be setup.

For A/THR you need to move the thrust levers to the climb detent, you will see a flashing LVR CLB on the PFD when you need to so this. It appears above the thrust reduction altitude (default 1500), and goes away once the levers are set in climb correctly. You will then just see THR CLB on the PFD (or SPEED/MACH)

+2 to Thorsten
Its designed for A-B flights, not constantly reinitializing in air (may cause error mismatch)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby gierschi@flightgear » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 am

Okay guys,

thanks to everyone for the fast and good support :-). I think I will try my tests again with the IDG-A32X first of all, although there is such a complex system simulation behind it and although it means that I have to get a little bit more familiar with the systems. But it appears to me that these aircrafts also show quite good flight characteristics. Maybe in a next step I also check the Boeing 737-800YV. I ''close'' this discussion now.

Best regards,
Sebastian
gierschi@flightgear

Postby Octal450 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Great, hope you enjoy my masterpiece!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Previous

Return to Autopilot and route manager