Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Autopilot and route manager

C182 Skylane No Auto too Auto

Designing a stable autopilot is one of the hardest things. Need help?

C182 Skylane No Auto too Auto

Postby Rocketstick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post here on the FlightGear forum, forgive me if this is the wrong section or thread to post.

How do I make this below:

Into this below:

Without it I cannot fly long routes properly

Please help.
Rocketstick

Re: C182 Skylane No Auto too Auto

Postby ludomotico » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:03 pm

The C182 (and the default C172) uses its own autopilot and deactivates the generic autopilot, which provides the dialog you show in the second snapshot.

The autopilot on the C182 is the well known KAP-140. You can get the manual from the maker of the real thing: http://www.bendixking.com/Products/Discontinued/KAP-140

In Flightgear, the KAP-140 does not have a custom dialog and you must operate the buttons manually. It is the one at the bottom of the radio stack.

Since the KAP-140 is an autopilot used on many light aircraft in FlightGear, defining a custom dialog for the KAP-140 seems like a good idea that may benefit many aircraft, not only the C182.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Re: C182 Skylane No Auto too Auto

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 pm

@Rocketstick: just hit F11 instead of trying to use the F10 menu... just like F12 brings up the radio dialog ;)

but as noted above, you won't be able to do much with it as the settings are not used with the craft's autopilot...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Autopilot and route manager