Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Autopilot and route manager

FlightDirector and Autopilot Help

Designing a stable autopilot is one of the hardest things. Need help?

FlightDirector and Autopilot Help

Postby jtan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:02 am

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a system which will allow my aircraft to fly, by itself to a waypoint. I have made an autopilot which will stabilise flight, however I keep on reading that you will need to make use of the FlightDirector which will actually interface with the autopilot to get the aircraft to the waypoint. The problem is that I can't find any documentation on this FlightDirector and how to make one. Can someone please provide me assistance on how to make a FlightDirector or any other methods for solving my problem.

Thanks!
jtan

Re: FlightDirector and Autopilot Help

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 am

I'm trying to setup a system which will allow my aircraft to fly, by itself to a waypoint.

Why don't you use the route manager for this?
See here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Route_manager

I have made an autopilot which will stabilise flight, however I keep on reading that you will need to make use of the FlightDirector which will actually interface with the autopilot to get the aircraft to the waypoint.[/quote]

A pure flight director by itself doesn't make an aircraft fly to a certain airport, it just shows indications to the crew - based on the FMS, so the FD is not about autonomous flight at all, it's really just a tool for pilots, so that they are aware of the profile to be flown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_director_(aviation)
However, on most modern airliners and jets, a FD can be directly coupled to the autopilot, so that the profile is flown accordingly.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Autopilot and route manager