Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Autopilot and route manager

SIDs and STARs in FlightGear  Topic is solved

Designing a stable autopilot is one of the hardest things. Need help?

Re: SIDs and STARs in FlightGear

Postby Chrison » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Tuxklok wrote in Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:24 pm:Would almost certainly be better to focus on one format and make that the standard for fgfs, rather than chasing after multiple formats and trying to keep them all in sync and functionally equivalent. Whether that be Level-D, some other existing format, or something we created just for fgfs doesn't really matter I guess...as long as there are no copyright or license issues involved with using it and/or distributing the files.
cheers!

This feature would be *really* cool! I'm wondering, though, what is Level-D and how widely used is it? If the developers are going to pick one format, it should be something that's readily available in a number of places... simroutes... the other web site mentioned here... the VATSIM charts database... just about anywhere one can find downloadable flight plans. IMHO the developers should *not* come up with an FG-only format as that will limit its usefulness. Of course, since I'm not a developer that's not my decision but merely a suggestion.

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby Sealbhach » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:32 am

I flew one of the STARS into 28L at KSFO. It's interesting because the route manager now heeds the altitude at each waypoint. Many of the waypoints have 0' for altitude so the plane starts to descend when it hits them. Also, when I reached the ILS for 28L the altitude set was 3,200' but that was above the glideslope at that distance from the airport.

I suppose we can always edit the xml files to put in different altitudes if we want... I was using the 777-200ER.

Sealbhach

Postby redneck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:12 am

For flying into KSFO 28L, you should be at 3200 at HEMAN and 1800 at OKDUE, which is right over that bridge just East of the airport.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Sealbhach » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 am

redneck wrote in Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:12 am:For flying into KSFO 28L, you should be at 3200 at HEMAN and 1800 at OKDUE, which is right over that bridge just East of the airport.

So would 3200 at HEMAN be below the glideslope? However it happened, the display showed that I was well above the glideslope as I got near OKDUE.

Sealbhach

Postby redneck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:29 am

I think so. I haven't flown into KSFO in a long time. In fact, I think that point is far enough out that you would not have a live GS indicator.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby MAKG » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Nope. OKDUE is near the San Mateo Bridge, and you're over the outer marker when you get there. Not far at all. If you don't have the glideslope intercepted when you get there in IMC, you go around.
MAKG

Postby redneck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Whoops. I know OKDUE is actually very close. I was referring to HEMAN as being far.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Maerchenprinz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am

Hi!

I have to admit that I don't have a clue of the Route Manager in FG... :oops: Anyway how does it deal with transition levels?
Maybe it is all the time set to 29.92 inHg? Or some other weird scales of how to translate pressure into altitude?
What altitude measure system is it dependent of?

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby hladas94 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Maerchenprinz wrote in Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am:Hi!

I have to admit that I don't have a clue of the Route Manager in FG... :oops: Anyway how does it deal with transition levels?
Maybe it is all the time set to 29.92 inHg? Or some other weird scales of how to translate pressure into altitude?
What altitude measure system is it dependent of?

Ciao,

Adrian

Hi,
would this help you? :)

http://academy.ivao.aero/node/303
hladas94

Callsign: hladas94
Version: 220

Postby redneck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

The route manager controls the AP settings for altitude and true heading. The AP depends on either the altimeter, which you can set, or the property /position/altitude-ft, which is like having the GPS figure out your real altitude. It depends on how realistic the particular AP for that aircraft is. Hopefully, for the aircraft you're flying, you can set the altimeter and actually achieve results.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby lolalilo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 am

hi,
i recently use this cool method, and it work well for me, instead of when i'm flying and use the next waypoint to an (intc) WP , FG crash with this message :

Code: Select all
Uncaught Exception: you should see a meaningful error message
here, but your GLUT (or SDL) library was apparently compiled
and/or linked without exception support. Please complain to
its provider!

So what is the signification of (intc) and how to resolve this?
lolalilo

Postby Soitanen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Can someone give an example of ICAO.procedures.xml file? I want to make SID/STAR for ULLI, but I can't understand, how to do that. I have downloaded Level-D 767 example file from navdata.at, but didn't find there any SID or STARS...
Boeing 737-300. Reworked cockpit, FDM, autopilot and much more. WIP.
Boeing 737-800. WIP. Canvas PFD and ND.
Antonov An-24B. Made from scratch. Very good FDM. 3D model by Adrian. WIP.
Project Russia (some cities, based on OSM with custom objects).
Soitanen

Version: git

Postby andylee » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:00 am

Can anyone email me the navigraph.com's LevelD 767 file for SID STAR data
andylee

Postby Figaro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 am

LevelD is a aircraft developer for Flight Simulator X. This is the forum for the free open source simulator, FlightGear. So, unfortunately, you probably won't get much help with the file you're looking for.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby andylee » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 am

I got the infomation from :
As of Git/2.2.0 the route manager will support SIDs and STARs. You can download the files from http://www.navdata.at, then save it under Scenery/Airports/I/C/A/ICAO.procedures.xml (use the correct ICAO codes!). Next time you can load them through the route manager interface.

But, as said. This does NOT work with FG 2.0 or older AFAIK.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11084
andylee

PreviousNext

Return to Autopilot and route manager